• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are they tanking? Are they streaking? Whatever happens will be at the Grill for 4 against HOU 9/13-16

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send the kid, Howard, back to "A" ball next April and let him start all over. If his velocity continues to drop after 2 or 3 innings, then convert him to a relief pitcher and bring him up through the system as a relief pitcher.

The biggest obstacle to following through on a plan like that is the decision maker's pride, because it shows their judgment was very flawed. That is the same kind of pride that kept Odor in the lineup way too long. You have to be able to admit mistakes, even very big ones.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Howard. That is a tad high expectation TORP

really the expectation to be a major league competent SP would make trade successful. If the best he becomes is a reliever I would think the trade would be considered unsuccessful

I am not overly optimistic but am willing to be patient fir a year. I would think progress and promise are needed a d of course he needs to be pitching more than 2-3 innings at least next year. Otherwise it is indeed ridiculous

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TORP talk is pure rhetoric. If he was legit in MLB thought for this he would never had been traded
My ceiling for him is lower but perhaps his floor expectation is a little higher

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

really the expectation to be a major league competent SP would make trade successful. If the best he becomes is a reliever I would think the trade would be considered unsuccessful

I am not overly optimistic but am willing to be patient fir a year. I would think progress and promise are needed a d of course he needs to be pitching more than 2-3 innings at least next year. Otherwise it is indeed ridiculous
Lol. I can see the reaction to someone who doesn't like the trade a year from now. It will go something like this.

"It is easy to say it was a bad trade now. Hindsight is 20/20."

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only way the trade is good for the Rangers is if he develops into a true TORP or a lights-out reliever, in my opinion.

EDIT: I should mention that I don't blame Howard for this. He was spare parts in PHI and the Rangers had no business trading for him in the first place. The fact that they spent an All-Star starter, solid closer, and a promising pitching prospect to get him is one of the most utterly ridiculous decisions I've ever seen any front office make.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TORP talk is pure rhetoric. If he was legit in MLB thought for this he would never had been traded
My ceiling for him is lower but perhaps his floor expectation is a little higher
If it is just rhetoric, then how wise is it to put that much pressure on a kid who already has a mental makeup problem? If they really belief that nonsense or are just saying it, it doesn't make their judgment look very good.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way the trade is good for the Rangers is if he develops into a true TORP or a lights-out reliever, in my opinion.

EDIT: I should mention that I don't blame Howard for this. He was spare parts in PHI and the Rangers had no business trading for him in the first place. The fact that they spent an All-Star starter, solid closer, and a promising pitching prospect to get him is one of the most utterly ridiculous decisions I've ever seen any front office make.
Yes, it is definitely not the young man's fault.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is just rhetoric, then how wise is it to put that much pressure on a kid who already has a mental makeup problem? If they really belief that nonsense or are just saying it, it doesn't make their judgment look very good.

This weekend, Max Scherzer earned his 3000th K. The game stopped momentarily so the crowd could acknowledge the feat.

Scherzer was annoyed by that, because it interrupted his game.

That's the mentality you want from a TORP. They want the fucking ball.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good question….i have seen him talk a bit so we shall see how he develops.
there has to be expectations at this level. But realistic. However the Rangers come across soft towards him at this point.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekend, Max Scherzer earned his 3000th K. The game stopped momentarily so the crowd could acknowledge the feat.

Scherzer was annoyed by that, because it interrupted his game.

That's the mentality you want from a TORP. They want the fucking ball.
Funny I thought about Scherzer earlier while thinking about Crouse. Yikes

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly will forever want to trade with our FO.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Woody they have identified the problems and the adjustments that are needed and they want him to get comfortable with the adjustments at this level. personally i would start him at AA next season and keep him there until he shows something close to projected talent he was suppose to have when he was drafted

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Woody they have identified the problems and the adjustments that are needed and they want him to get comfortable with the adjustments at this level. personally i would start him at AA next season and keep him there until he shows something close to projected talent he was suppose to have when he was drafted
There is a possibility that Woody is covering up for some very poor FO judgement.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a possibility that Woody is covering up for some very poor FO judgement.

Woody can't come out and say "Ephland is a damn genius" although you can tell he wants to.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years ago, after spring training, Chris said he thought Matt Davidson could be an elite hitter. He seems to overhype players to a great degree.

Matt Davidson has only had 43 big league at bats since Woodward said that. He hit .163 in those 43 AB.

I think Woody suffers from a great deal of poor judgment himself.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years ago, after spring training, Chris said he thought Matt Davidson could be an elite hitter. He seems to overhype players to a great degree.

Matt Davidson has only had 43 big league at bats since Woodward said that. He hit .163 in those 43 AB.

I think Woody suffers from a great deal of poor judgment himself.

Remember, Woody is speaking to/through the media. He's not speaking his full thoughts on a matter. Not saying you're off-base, but I never take anything that they say at face value. Players, coaches, FO personnel.