• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Seahawks the luckiest team in NFL history?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, decades of bad luck and futility.

Do we get some breaks now that we're 'good?' Sure. Most good teams do.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Oh noes! We got too lucky!!!

Fvck that.

Who's we?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What qualifies as "luck"? Several of these instances are just the other team choking and not playing well. Others are bad calls by the ref. If that's what "luck" is, then how are the New England Patriots not being mentioned as the "luckiest" team?

Tuck Rule - Patriots got "lucky" that Brady doesn't get hit a fraction of a second later when the refs surely would have recognized that he had finished the throwing motion and it gets ruled a fumble.

Super Bowl 38 - Patriots get lucky when John Kasay misses the entire field on a kickoff, giving the Pats a short field.

Super Bowl 39 - Patriots get lucky and face an Eagles team with an injured TO.

19-1 Season- In the regular season the Ravens stop the Pats on fourth down to end the game, but Harbaugh calls a timeout which gives them another chance. Leads to undefeated regular season.

2011 Season- Billy Cundiff misses chip shot to give the Pats the win in the AFC championship game.

Super Bowl 49- Patriots luck out when Jeremy Lane breaks his arm and Julian Edelman proceeds to abuse his back up after not being forced to undergo any treatment for a clear concussion.

That was easy, and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure you could do the same for every team that has been very good over the span of a given number of years. When you're competitive in every single game you tend to have more opportunities for things to go your way.

I'll guarantee you one thing, there aren't any Minnesota fans sitting around complaining that Seattle got "lucky". They're pissed that their kicker missed an easy chip shot as they should be.
See now we're cooking with propane. Good retort.
There is no blue print for what luck is. To me an opposing team gets lucky when a sequence of events that "routinely" happen don't. A missed chip shot FG, a bungled snap, a player not doing their job (or idiots like Burfict and Adams)...Not who got hurt when or how facing a bunch of back up QBs. Or not a great play by the other team on a routine play. Example Kam jumps over the Oline and blocks a routine FG. That's skill. But, when Romo drops a perfectly snapped ball for a FG attempt, that is luck, the Cowboys practice that 1000 x's. The D had nothing to do with the bobble. The D still had to make a tackle.
This is what I think luck is.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See when you backpedal a bit, you're actually a quite reasonable poster.
I didn't back pedal. I stated the same thing I posted before. I said Seattle had the better talent and should of had the better season.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep posting. It's fun watching you dig that hole. 0-2 against Seattle. Couldn't score one offensive TD. Could only muster one drive of 50 yards or longer, and 19 of those yards came on a penalty. Want to talk about Minny winning their division, too? Seattle went three for four against the NFC Norris. Minnesota needed OT to even win one against the NFC West. Meanwhile Seattle had the higher rated offense and defense.

But tell me more about the "indisputable facts" that make this a toss up.

Meanwhile that stellar Seattle juggernaut needed a fag FG kicker to choke on a chip shot to advance.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a fag kicker to boot.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile that stellar Seattle juggernaut needed a fag FG kicker to choke on a chip shot to advance.
Why is he a "fag FG kicker"? Is it because he missed one of four today?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has nothing to do with grammar. You are seeking a different word, try again.

Sure it does, because I'm using 'we' as shorthand. Not bothering to type out each time to my audience to remind them that I'm merely a fan of the team, not directly involved in it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has a different view on what Luck is. In football terms things that usually don't happen or the success or fail rate is low and that team over comes it I consider it luck. Examples; Miss chip shot success rate from that distance is like 98%(something like that), onside kick 5% recover rate(again not exact number), Hail mary 2% success rate. These things have happen to seattle in the last 2 years. No other team has achieved all 3 in the last 2-3 years. Thats why i call it football luck.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it does, because I'm using 'we' as shorthand. Not bothering to type out each time to my audience to remind them that I'm merely a fan of the team, not directly involved in it.

Can't find that word you're looking for, eh?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna read all the stupid bullshit in this thread, but each team made a kicking game mistake that cost 3 points. Outside of that, Seattle made the better plays and was the only team that scored a TD. That's called an earned win. On to Carolina.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to think the main reason the Hawks won today is:

We held Adrian Peterson to less than 50 Yds and all they ended up with was 3 FGs.

Our offense gave us the lead in the 4th, including that fabulous TD series.

Yes, the FG shank ended up deciding the game, but every team misses chip shot FGs every season. Happens.