• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Jags

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That defies what the players and coaches were saying earlier in the year.
And Kam missing camp (and first 2 games), and a new CB (that didn't end up being a fit), and probably a few other intangible type factors that all contributed to an overall slow start to the season.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Kam missing camp (and first 2 games), and a new CB (that didn't end up being a fit), and probably a few other intangible type factors that all contributed to an overall slow start to the season.

I don't believe that Thomas was playing great early in the year either.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards was doing things differently early on, not sure what you want me to say man...lol ... Should I word it differently.... ? Compared to Quinn, Richards was calling different defensive play's ....
Doing things differently?? Can you be more vague?

Look, you said Richards [sic] changed the D early on, a clear implication he was running a different scheme. Players that were actually on the field said it wasn't different. Who to believe, who to believe....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that Thomas was playing great early in the year either.
Definitely not. And despite a splash play here and there, Kam didn't have his best season either.

Hopefully with a slightly longer off-season, not ending this one injured, and a full camp participation, this is not something we re-visit next season.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That defies what the players and coaches were saying earlier in the year.

IMO, it didn't look the same simply because the players executing.

NO they were running DIFFERENT play's ... more cover 2 ... Different zone coverage...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO they were running DIFFERENT play's ... more cover 2 ... Different zone coverage...

Not according to them.

They said they were running the same exact defense as they have for years. They just weren't executing.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing things differently?? Can you be more vague?

Look, you said Richards [sic] changed the D early on, a clear implication he was running a different scheme. Players that were actually on the field said it wasn't different. Who to believe, who to believe....

Let me make this easy.... Remember when we blew that coverage vs Carolina ? TE uncovered for the game winner,... Richards called a cover 2, some of the Seattle players ran a cover 3 .... And I don't care if you don't believe me, I have eyes, I see ...

From Cover 0 to Cover 4, in images.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not according to them.

They said they were running the same exact defense as they have for years. They just weren't executing.

Nope not true... I've watched this defense all my life... Richards was running different coverages... And I'd put my life savings on it....

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one single play against Carolina (where miscommunication was the actual problem, not scheme) is not a big enough sample size to suggest that they were running cover 2 a lot more and it was causing a problem.

Especially when they denied any scheme changes. If there is one thing that Carroll believes, it's srength in consistency. And I distinctly remember them repeating that mantra in one way or another at the start of the year when the defense was struggling.

Were there other plays where guys got open? Sure, that's their job. One thing that really didn't get enough attention early in the year was the defenses inability to get interior pressure on 3rd down. Most of the time that guys got wide open was because the QB bought time, stepped right up in the pocket, and because they played a lot of good QBS early, they found their best weapons wide open.

FTR, I don't think they changed the scheme. But even if they did, it's no excuse for lack of execution.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope not true... I've watched this defense all my life... Richards was running different coverages... And I'd put my life savings on it....

Id take that bet. How would we determine it though, by asking players and coaches?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even find anything from analysts (Fieldgulls, hawkblogger, chawktalk) that suggests that they were doing anything different from previous years. Nothing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They run the same system. The same scheme. What they call in different situations may change a little but that is hardly going to make a huge difference in performance.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id take that bet. How would we determine it though, by asking players and coaches?

Looking at the formations.... It's pretty simple ... I'll win ... I won't even need and attorney, I'll just show the video evidence... " And Jordan shoots, he scores! and that's the game!!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They run the same system. The same scheme. What they call in different situations may change a little but that is hardly going to make a huge difference in performance.

Cover 2 is a lot different from a cover 3 ..

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the formations.... It's pretty simple ... I'll win ... I won't even need and attorney, I'll just show the video evidence... " And Jordan shoots, he scores! and that's the game!!

So, the coaches and players were lying??? There must be some analysis out there to back this up, somewhere... Or were they in on the lie too?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the coaches and players were lying??? There must be some analysis out there to back this up, somewhere... Or were they in on the lie too?

You can't take away video evidence because someone say's so ... lol ... It's on film bro ...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cover 2 is a lot different from a cover 3 ..

The scheme is the same for us. It's a matter of changing the look for the offense to react to. We always did Cover 2. It is a matter of frequency.

You are the only person claiming that the Seahawks did anything remarkably different on defense.

Too many fans think that play calling defines the success of a team. Execution defines the success of a team.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't take away video evidence because someone say's so ... lol ... It's on film bro ...

Oh, I know. But there's a lot of guys who watch all 22 over and over every year and write about what they see. None of them wrote anything to suggest that they were doing anything different. Which goes along with what the players and coaches were saying.

I only saw the games this year on tv. And on the broadcast, you can rarely see what the coverage is post snap because the camera is on the QB. I didn't notice anything different, they still pressed a lot, and played with a box safety a lot (not something that's done much in cover two). The only difference I noticed (early in the year) that was different was lack of execution and too much time for QBS in the pocket.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I know. But there's a lot of guys who all 22 over and over every year and write about what they see. None of them wrote anything to suggest that they were doing anything different. Which goes along with what the players and coaches were saying.

I only saw the game at his year on tv. And on the broadcast, you can rarely see what the coverage is post snap because the camera is on the QB. I didn't notice anything different, they still pressed a lot, and played with a box safety a lot (not something that's done much in cover two). The only difference I noticed (early in the year) that was different was lack of execution and too much time for QBS in the pocket.

Sure lack of execution was certainly part of it... But 2 safety deep wasn't helping Kam much, look at the drop off in covering TE... WTF happened ? Kam was sitting back in cover 2 and that's not what he does... It was causing some confusion and actually made Earl pretty ticked off ... He wanted to say more but he bite his tongue... Check out this video and write up it's pretty good ...

Seahawks were in two different coverages on Greg Olsen touchdown play

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread reminds me of how Sherman says former players don't know what defense the Seahawks are actually using. Lots of customize coverages, I'd say the average joe doesn't actually know the coverages on a regular basis, especially if he's just watching the TV broadcast.