• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Jags

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time something goes wrong some blame the coordinators.

Bradley, Bevell, Richard... all take the rap when players fail to execute. I know we have had a talented the past few years, but that doesn't make even perfect playcalling foolproof.

We don't know what these guys know. All we know is what we see, and that's immediately in hindsight. It's easy to call plays with a "shoulda" approach.

Richards was changing the defense... He was trying to leave his own mark... as the season rolled on he started going back to the bread and butter, cover 3 ...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In '15, 11 of their losses were by 7 or fewer points (7) times...

In '14, 13 of their losses were by 7 or fewer points just (1) time...

Personally, they were much more competitive this last season than most are giving them credit for... Proves that they're playing hard for their HC and they're trending in the right direction... IMO, that's enough to give the HC a one year extension... It's not like they gave him another 5 year extension or anything... My feeling, is the FO likes what they're seeing and wanted to ensure some stability/trust to the team and their coaching staff...

They still only won 5 games... They've had 3 terrible seasons under Bradley... 4th is coming, I would lay 1,000 on it...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards was changing the defense... He was trying to leave his own mark... as the season rolled on he started going back to the bread and butter, cover 3 ...

Do you know this for fact? Or is it an assumption based on the results?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coaching today is so much more than x's and o's and clock management. It's people management. Players are so highly paid that what used to work (negative motivation) has a real short shelf life these days.

That's what outsiders miss about Pete. He may not be the most awesome strategist of all time, and he may make the odd blunder in clock management, but he's a motivator. He gets the players to buy in. He creates a 'culture,' as annoying as that buzzword is.

Now having said that, I have no idea what the 'culture' is like with the JAGS, but from the little bit I've read being a Carroll disciple, Bradley brings the same kind of philosophy/energy to the team, and the players, particularly the young players have 'bought in' to him.

Will it all come together and they'll gel and win? Dunno. They may need their R. Wilson to have that success.

But I do think that there's enough evidence to suggest that ownership isn't stupid, and isn't just writing a blank cheque for a guy who can't coach for shvt.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the defenses we were running ... Definitley tinkering with things his way... You expect some of that, but it's encouraging that he seemed to adjust as the season rolled on ...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still only won 5 games... They've had 3 terrible seasons under Bradley... 4th is coming, I would lay 1,000 on it...

I would say though that when a team when you take over is getting blown out every single game that you can't just expect to see them all of a sudden become this winning organization. They were one of the worst run franchises in the entire league when he took over maybe only ahead of the Browns and Raiders. So going from losing by 20 on a regular basis to most games being a one score game to me is huge progress in the right direction. I would be willing to give him another year. I mean who else are you bringing in? These teams around the league keep seeming to recycle the old coaches with every once in a while a Coordinator getting a chance but rarely be given the time to figure all of it out. To me it is like bringing in a rookie in even though they have been doing it for a long time there is a huge difference between what they were doing the year before to then being top dog on an NFL team. It takes time to figure out how best to run a team.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say though that when a team when you take over is getting blown out every single game that you can't just expect to see them all of a sudden become this winning organization. They were one of the worst run franchises in the entire league when he took over maybe only ahead of the Browns and Raiders. So going from losing by 20 on a regular basis to most games being a one score game to me is huge progress in the right direction. I would be willing to give him another year. I mean who else are you bringing in? These teams around the league keep seeming to recycle the old coaches with every once in a while a Coordinator getting a chance but rarely be given the time to figure all of it out. To me it is like bringing in a rookie in even though they have been doing it for a long time there is a huge difference between what they were doing the year before to then being top dog on an NFL team. It takes time to figure out how best to run a team.

Agreed for the most part... I just don't think Bradley has the ability as a coach too adjust, As your D coordinator I think he was the final piece holding back our defense... when we hired Quinn our defense went to another level ... We did get Avril and Bennett which improved our pass rush, but under Bradley we lacked discipline and we blew so many games late... Bradley simply never adjusted, Chicago playoff loss was the final straw for that guy in my eyes ... I was SO happy when he left and we got Quinn...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed for the most part... I just don't think Bradley has the ability as a coach too adjust, As your D coordinator I think he was the final piece holding back our defense... when we hired Quinn our defense went to another level ... We did get Avril and Bennett which improved our pass rush, but under Bradley we lacked discipline and we blew so many games late... Bradley simply never adjusted, Chicago playoff loss was the final straw for that guy in my eyes ... I was SO happy when he left and we got Quinn...

That very much could be. I guess to me I am just willing to give him another year for the simple fact that I don't think there is much better out there right now. Mike Shanahan is about the only guy I can think of that I would say fire this guy and bring in this guy and see what happens. Most of the great coaches though in this league it took usually 4-5 years and many times 2-3 times of being fired before they actually got to where they were. Teams just didn't show quite the patience needed in my opinion to let the coach develop his abilities.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine where the Seahawks might be now if they'd fired Carroll and/or Schneider after that second 7-9 season in 2011? I know there were quite a few people on the internet and there might have even been some in the press who were calling for it to happen and if those people had gotten their way, I don't think we'd be sitting here talking about the missed opportunity that the team had to get back to the Super Bowl for the third straight year. That's why I don't think it's as simple as looking at records when you're talking about firing a head coach and I don't necessarily believe that a team's record is a good indicator of the progress or lack of progress being made by a coach.

I'll admit that I wasn't exactly heartbroken to see Bradley take the Jacksonville job, but I'd like to echo the sentiments that improvements to the pass rush right after Bradley left gave Quinn something he didn't have and that the situation in Jacksonville that Bradley took over was pretty dire. Obviously there needs to be progress in terms of wins sooner rather than later for him to continue on as the head coach there beyond his current contract and I think the fact that they only extended him for one year instead of for a longer period of time would tell you that ownership there is thinking the same thing. I don't know if there necessarily needs to be a big jump in wins and a playoff berth to convince them to tack on another year after this though. We'll see.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know how you could take anything from that Chicago playoff loss in 2010. That was Carroll first year, a 7-9 team, and that was a roster that was completely torn to the ground after that loss. That was the definition of playing with house money. Getting blown out by a top seeded team on the road in the div round far exceeded my expectations. As far as the Atlanta game in 2012, Quinn would have faired no better with absolutely zero pass rush once Clemons went down in Washington. Lacked discipline? I don't think they lacked discipline at all. In fact, I think that they were essentially the same exact defense as what Quinn had to work with, except with better pass rushers. The fact that the secondary and LB core were as good as they were in coverage with very little pressure on the QB tells me that they were extremely disciplined.

Last edited:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jags are in position to compete for a playoff spot in 2016. When Bradly joined the Jags, there wasn't a lot of talent on that team. Gabbert was still there, Blackmon got suspended, & the Jones-Drew era was ending. They have started stockpiling talent in Bortles, Yeldon, Robinson, & Hurns on offense. They just need to shore up the OL & build up the talent on the defense. Having Fowler healthy & another set of early draft picks should help them compete for the AFCS crown.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags play the nfc north and the afc west next year. Could be a brutal schedule for them. Their own division is terrible though so that gives them a chance.

If theres any team in the afc im pulling for its them though

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the defenses we were running ... Definitley tinkering with things his way... You expect some of that, but it's encouraging that he seemed to adjust as the season rolled on ...
Early in the season there was a defensive starter (I think Avril but not 100% sure) who was on 710 and said the defensive scheme was the exact same as it had been in previous years. No offense, but I think I'm believing him over you.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early in the season there was a defensive starter (I think Avril but not 100% sure) who was on 710 and said the defensive scheme was the exact same as it had been in previous years. No offense, but I think I'm believing him over you.

I remember hearing that several players, and Carroll and Richard.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine where the Seahawks might be now if they'd fired Carroll and/or Schneider after that second 7-9 season in 2011? I know there were quite a few people on the internet and there might have even been some in the press who were calling for it to happen and if those people had gotten their way, I don't think we'd be sitting here talking about the missed opportunity that the team had to get back to the Super Bowl for the third straight year. That's why I don't think it's as simple as looking at records when you're talking about firing a head coach and I don't necessarily believe that a team's record is a good indicator of the progress or lack of progress being made by a coach.

I'll admit that I wasn't exactly heartbroken to see Bradley take the Jacksonville job, but I'd like to echo the sentiments that improvements to the pass rush right after Bradley left gave Quinn something he didn't have and that the situation in Jacksonville that Bradley took over was pretty dire. Obviously there needs to be progress in terms of wins sooner rather than later for him to continue on as the head coach there beyond his current contract and I think the fact that they only extended him for one year instead of for a longer period of time would tell you that ownership there is thinking the same thing. I don't know if there necessarily needs to be a big jump in wins and a playoff berth to convince them to tack on another year after this though. We'll see.

Under Pete's leadership you could see the team evolving though, he also went entirely through the draft and built it up from scratch, we had a massive turn-over in personnel ... Even at 7-9 you could see Seattle was turning a corner talent wise under Pete's leadership... Pete had 2 years at 7-9 and the team NEVER took any steps backwards....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how you could take anything from that Chicago playoff loss in 2010. That was Carroll first year, a 7-9 team, and that was a roster that was completely torn to the ground after that loss. That was the definition of playing with house money. Getting blown out by a top seeded team on the road in the div round far exceeded my expectations. As far as the Atlanta game in 2012, Quinn would have faired no better with absolutely zero pass rush once Clemons went down in Washington. Lacked discipline? I don't think they lacked discipline at all. In fact, I think that they were essentially the same exact defense as what Quinn had to work with, except with better pass rushers. The fact that the secondary and LB core were as good as they were in coverage with very little pressure on the QB tells me that they were extremely disciplined.

I took a lot from it ... Because we beat Chicago in Chicago earlier in the season and going into that game it was well known that getting pressure on Cutler was the #1 way to screw up his game... We did that in the first meeting, blitzing more, attacking more... Well, Bradley came in with a great strategy, sit back in zone coverage all game long and don't adjust 1 time, nada, zip! Cutler picked us apart, Bradley smiled... I knew at that moment without a doubt we were going no-where until this guy left... I have inside info on the frustration the players felt because of that game... I talked to one of Seattle's defensive players ... They were frustrated big time and felt handcuffed by the decisions ...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NO he's run different schemes... more cover 2, it was the same base packages overall but he was throwing in his own flavor, you expect that out of a different D coordinator...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO he's run different schemes... more cover 2, it was the same base packages overall but he was throwing in his own flavor, you expect that out of a different D coordinator...
Not really what you said though. You responded to a comment about coordinators getting blamed, and you said point blank that "Richards" was chaning the D early in the year (which is NOT backed up by what the players were saying) and then later on went back to the "bread and butter" defense. It wasn't you critiquing Bradley; it was you claiming the DC changed up the scheme, which I think is false.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really what you said though. You responded to a comment about coordinators getting blamed, and you said point blank that "Richards" was chaning the D early in the year (which is NOT backed up by what the players were saying) and then later on went back to the "bread and butter" defense. It wasn't you critiquing Bradley; it was you claiming the DC changed up the scheme, which I think is false.

Richards was doing things differently early on, not sure what you want me to say man...lol ... Should I word it differently.... ? Compared to Quinn, Richards was calling different defensive play's ....

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards was doing things differently early on, not sure what you want me to say man...lol ... Should I word it differently.... ? Compared to Quinn, Richards was calling different defensive play's ....

That defies what the players and coaches were saying earlier in the year.

IMO, it didn't look the same simply because the players executing.