• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Apocalypse burnout?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My response kind of seems irrelevant after reading this thread and realizing it turned into a sociological discussion on the world and its relation to zombie apocalypse games...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My response kind of seems irrelevant after reading this thread and realizing it turned into a sociological discussion on the world and its relation to zombie apocalypse games...
My bad. :)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only ones I have any interest in Last of Us 2 (really hope the story is as strong as the first) and Days Gone. World War Z looks interesting but the rest I really don’t care. I think Far Cry is such an over rated series. Everyone complains about COD’s yearly same game releases but no one complains about Far Cry which is laughable to me.
Agree with you on Far Cry but I think Days Gone and World War Z look about as generic as it gets.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you on Far Cry but I think Days Gone and World War Z look about as generic as it gets.
To each his own. I really think Days Gone will be great, but I also think it could burn me similarly to No Man’s Sky. May wait for reviews to determine if a price reduction will be in store.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far Cry New Dawn, Rage 2, The Outer Worlds, Metro Exodus, Division 2, Wastleland 3, Doom Eternal, World War Z, Days Gone, Last of Us 2....

There is no way I'm playing all of these games. Heck, there are probably a dozen other games I'm missing from the Apocalypse settings list.

Does this much saturation bother you guys? Honestly, I just plan on getting Doom Eternal and then waiting to see of TLOU2 is any good. Anyone planning on playing most of these?
Probably not because I only intend on buying one of them. At this point in just happy zombies games are starting to go out of style after like 15 straight years of them.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each his own. I really think Days Gone will be great, but I also think it could burn me similarly to No Man’s Sky. May wait for reviews to determine if a price reduction will be in store.
You might be right. It could be the next Horizon Zero Dawn. Open world combat game where you set traps but instead of leading giant robots into them you lead hordes of zombies.

I think it looks like its going to hit that Walking Dead audience better than any of the other games.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right. It could be the next Horizon Zero Dawn. Open world combat game where you set traps but instead of leading giant robots into them you lead hordes of zombies.

I think it looks like its going to hit that Walking Dead audience better than any of the other games.
I keep hearing mixed reviews from people online. I prematurely bought Mad Max, price reduced like a month later.

Mad Max is one of most underrated games in recent memory.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing mixed reviews from people online. I prematurely bought Mad Max, price reduced like a month later.

Mad Max is one of most underrated games in recent memory.
I got Mad Max for free on PS+ and never gotten around to playing it. One of my friends did beat it in a weekend and said that it was great but...well....I have Apocalypse Burnout so unsurprisingly I havent played it much.

The review I'm hearing with Days Goen is that its a solid game but the gunplay is junk

Last edited:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that the theory is to 'normalize' the apocalypse. That's purely fantasy anyway. Doomsday preppers are just wasting their time really. Most of us won't even make it out of a large urban setting if shit goes down. Roads will be impassable. Better off to die in the initial shitstorm.

I think the theory goes is that it's a way to get through the now. To cope with the now, with a 'well at least it ain't THIS bad,' movie, book or game.

Have you read 'The Road?'

You don't want to survive a real apocalypse.

A nice depressing movie all right.

it depends on how it happens. If the radioactive fallout from a nuclear confrontation is bad enough, people would need to hang inside their bunkers for decades..

For me. I can't play them all so I pick a few I like.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Days Gone getting mixed reviews. Kind of disappointed but expected this. Still plan on picking it up. Lot of people just unhappy it isn’t innovative. I can be content with an open world zombie apocalypse that has solid gameplay.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Days Gone getting mixed reviews. Kind of disappointed but expected this. Still plan on picking it up. Lot of people just unhappy it isn’t innovative. I can be content with an open world zombie apocalypse that has solid gameplay.
Its to be expected. It has roughly the same level of reviews as Mad Max.

The thing I'm hearing about Days Gone is that if you stick with it till the end then its worth it. I think Jim Sterling has decent reviews of this and World War Z.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing I'm hearing about Days Gone is that if you stick with it till the end then its worth it. I think Jim Sterling has decent reviews of this and World War Z.
So funny you mention Mad Max, that is exactly what I am thinking of with these mixed reviews. Open world game that did nothing incredibly well but was still an overall solid and enjoyable experience for me. That is why I am going to pick up a copy on my way home from work.

A reviewer described it at: the atmosphere of Walking Dead, game mechanics of Uncharted, and the crafting of Last of Us. I don’t mind games that aren’t super innovative, but have a solid story and solid game play. I liked Mad Max and Mafia 3 despite mixed reviews, so I think it will be fine.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sooooo, I bought it. I am sitting on the couch playing it... it may be going back to the store for a refund. These may be the worst controls I have dealt with since PS2 maybe PS1.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooo, I bought it. I am sitting on the couch playing it... it may be going back to the store for a refund. These may be the worst controls I have dealt with since PS2 maybe PS1.
Oh wow. Bad controls in what way?

Thats certainly how I feel about RDR2. Are they worse than that?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shooting is terrible. Every cut scene goes black for a second before it begins. There is a stamina meter that literally prevents you from running for 2 seconds despite the fact you have a billion zombies. Can’t figure out hat the hell I am supposed to do. My wife loves watching me play games, and she even said this does not look user friendly. She noticed wonky controls and wasn’t the one playing. I am so bummed out with this game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shooting is terrible. Every cut scene goes black for a second before it begins. There is a stamina meter that literally prevents you from running for 2 seconds despite the fact you have a billion zombies. Can’t figure out hat the hell I am supposed to do. My wife loves watching me play games, and she even said this does not look user friendly. She noticed wonky controls and wasn’t the one playing. I am so bummed out with this game.
Yeah, the early review on this was that the gunplay was bad but I guess that extends to a few things.

Slow-run activation is pretty much a 'no buy' for me on any game after RDR2.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry I didn’t specify controls. Everything feels stiff as hell. The shooting is awkward. Red Dead, Mafia 3, and GTA have a user friendly shooting system where it somewhat sticks to the target. This has no such thing. While some may say, get better brah or other nonsense, there is like 200 of these zombies and I will try aiming at the mob and not get a single shot with my measly 20 bullets. Not to mention every zombie is a 5 hit kill. I just don’t even know how to play this.

Maybe I am supposed to build up to a certain level and I am just stupid? I don’t know.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I didn’t specify controls. Everything feels stiff as hell. The shooting is awkward. Red Dead, Mafia 3, and GTA have a user friendly shooting system where it somewhat sticks to the target. This has no such thing. While some may say, get better brah or other nonsense, there is like 200 of these zombies and I will try aiming at the mob and not get a single shot with my measly 20 bullets. Not to mention every zombie is a 5 hit kill. I just don’t even know how to play this.

Maybe I am supposed to build up to a certain level and I am just stupid? I don’t know.
Is there anything in the menus to adjust auto aim or sensitivity?

I remember having issues with Witcher 3 for the first hour or two but eventually I got used to the movement and enjoyed the combat. In RDR2, I had to dig into the settings...although I never fully found something I liked and I ended up dropping the game completely.

The 'feel' is so important to an open-world game. I'm watching opinions on Days Gone pretty closely because I'll likely pick it up when it gets cheaper and yours is the only one I've seen that has totally trashed the controls as unplayable. No one is praising the controls, though. I've heard that the zombies in the game have a bit of a bullet sponge feel to them and thats why you see a lot of stealth and explosives.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought Mad Max for Xbox one last night ($20) after reading a cool review on Reddit.

I play Skyrim and State of Decay 2 too. Hoping it’s similar fun wise.