• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AP suspended til April 15

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he went insane with his money and his child support payments are off the charts I'm sure AP will be fine financially.

Yeah, I'm not shedding a tear for him.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't the justice system though. This is private industry. If you and I both work for the same company, you make $300k a year, and I make $50k, if we are suspended for 6 months without pay, then I lose $25k while you lose $150k.

Yes, well that would seem unfair to me as well if we both committed the same crime. The NFL can do what it wants (and it often does), its just my opinion that players should pay the same regardless of income level or it isn't even.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he went insane with his money and his child support payments are off the charts I'm sure AP will be fine financially.

I'm sure they aren't cheap. It's hard to tell though since the number of children he has seems to be a rolling number. He probably doesn't even know.

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the end, its the Vikings team and fans who lose out, having their best player miss an entire season. NOT because he was injured but because he went overboard disciplining one of his kids. Seems crazy too me:noidea:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they aren't cheap. It's hard to tell though since the number of children he has seems to be a rolling number. He probably doesn't even know.

Yea, there is no way it's cheap especially since there seems to be more than one mother.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the end, its the Vikings team and fans who lose out, having their best player miss an entire season. NOT because he was injured but because he went overboard disciplining one of his kids. Seems crazy too me:noidea:

That's an interesting way to characterize abuse.

theseymonsta

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, there is no way it's cheap especially since there seems to be more than one mother.

Last I heard, 4 kids 4 mothers.

Not a good person all the way around.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad this POS is getting punished. The paid vacation he was on wasn't punishment.

Y

Yapp14

the guy disciplined his kid the only way he knew how ... public out rage fueled this .. it doesnt matter what the legal system thinks anymore .. what counts is the court of public opinion .. its shame what this country is becoming
The kid had genital bruising

You are okay with this?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL isn't a public "company" it can fired/suspend anyway they feel appropriate. Might not be the correct "punishment" but they are a private corporation...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid had genital bruising

You are okay with this?

I don't think anyone is ok with that, but at the same time it may have been accidental. Not that it being accidental necessarily makes it ok, but I think it should be considered too. Capital punishment is not illegal yet so that part shouldn't factor in even if you disagree with it. It was the bruising that was the big issue, but lets pretend for a minute that AP was not 'whooping' his kid when the bruises happened, lets say he was playing with the kid and it got too rough and the kid accidently got bruised up on his body, would it still be considered abuse or does there need to be intent? And I'm not pretending to know the answer either, I'm just wondering out of curiosity sake. Because if intent doesn't matter then lots of parents who have accidentally hurt their kids (without whoopings) might be guilty of "abuse" too. Part to the problem is even just the word "abuse", it's definition can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. To some people standing your kid in a corner might be abuse, or sending them to bed without supper might be abuse. Its a very grey area in our culture and that is what makes AP's case so polarizing. Some think he's the devil, while others don't think he even did anything wrong.

Y

Yapp14

I don't think anyone is ok with that, but at the same time it may have been accidental. Not that it being accidental necessarily makes it ok, but I think it should be considered too. Capital punishment is not illegal yet so that part shouldn't factor in even if you disagree with it. It was the bruising that was the big issue, but lets pretend for a minute that AP was not 'whooping' his kid when the bruises happened, lets say he was playing with the kid and it got too rough and the kid accidently got bruised up on his body, would it still be considered abuse or does there need to be intent? And I'm not pretending to know the answer either, I'm just wondering out of curiosity sake. Because if intent doesn't matter then lots of parents who have accidentally hurt their kids (without whoopings) might be guilty of "abuse" too. Part to the problem is even just the word "abuse", it's definition can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. To some people standing your kid in a corner might be abuse, or sending them to bed without supper might be abuse. Its a very grey area in our culture and that is what makes AP's case so polarizing. Some think he's the devil, while others don't think he even did anything wrong.
I don't think AP is evil. I do believe that he is reciprocating discipline that he experienced when he was a child. I feel sorry for him, because he apparently does not have a skill set to deal with his kids. I also feel sorry for his children because they are probably going through a meat grinder with all of this too, and no one mentions that in the media.

I agree with you that interpretations of what is appropriate discipline is very subjective. But when I hear that a child has bruising in that area I have a hard time accepting that was accidental

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petterson should have enough money to retire and tell Goofdell and the owners to fuck off. If he did the public opinion might swing toward his favour.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No child abuse is acceptable. However, I too was at the end of a switch when I was growing up...more than once. It was very common for my parents and grandparents. It does sting. it can cause welps and blood. it isn't life threatening in most cases.

AP appears to have crossed a line. He doesn't appear to be a habitual child abuser. I think he is sorry for what he did and I think he will never raise a hand again. I think the attention his case has brought has put the topic of what is acceptable when punishing a child back on the front page.

Overall, I think AP has learned from this. He has suffered quite a lot, and the NFL needs to know when enough is enough and just reinstate AP. Granted Josh Brent sat out a lot of games over the last two seasons, but in the end his actual "suspension" for driving drunk and killing another person will be less than AP who used a switch on his son. As a driver in DFW, Josh Brent put my friends and family and myself at risk when he drove, and he did time in jail for it...but in the eyes of the NFL that is less of a crime than disciplining your kid. :L

The reason he was suspended is because the exact opposite is true. Peterson has not shown any remorse and has said he basically would do it again.

This is part of the official letter sent to him:

“First, the injury was inflicted on a child who was only four years old. The difference in size and strength between you and the child is significant, and your actions clearly caused physical injury to the child," Goodell wrote. "While an adult may have a number of options when confronted with abuse -- to flee, to fight back, or to seek help from law enforcement -- none of those options is realistically available to a four-year old child. Further, the injury inflicted on your son includes the emotional and psychological trauma to a young child who suffers criminal physical abuse at the hands of his father.

“Second, the repetitive use of a switch in this instance is the functional equivalent of a weapon, particularly in the hands of someone with the strength of an accomplished professional athlete.

“Third, you have shown no meaningful remorse for your conduct. When indicted, you acknowledged what you did but said that you would not ‘eliminate whooping my kids' and defended your conduct in numerous published text messages to the child's mother. You also said that you felt ‘very confident with my actions because I know my intent.' These comments raise the serious concern that you do not fully appreciate the seriousness of your conduct, or even worse, that you may feel free to engage in similar conduct in the future."

He's being punished harder because he hasn't shown any remorse and keeps saying he doesn't think he did anything wrong.

BS? I'm sure many of you feel that way, but the league is a brand and having very public figures like this sully it is bad for business. They at the very least have to send a clear message that they do not support this type of ABUSE.

I spanked my kids when they needed it, but NEVER in my life did I leave welts and genital bruising? This isn't simple disciplining of your kids, it's pure fucking abuse. And it wasn't just one time. He did it to more than one kid and more than one time. He's an abuser.

The league got it right in this case.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some think he's the devil, while others don't think he even did anything wrong.

The ones who think he's the devil are the majority in today's society. The NFL is going to act based on the majority viewpoint. It's that simple.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think AP is evil. I do believe that he is reciprocating discipline that he experienced when he was a child. I feel sorry for him, because he apparently does not have a skill set to deal with his kids. I also feel sorry for his children because they are probably going through a meat grinder with all of this too, and no one mentions that in the media.

I agree with you that interpretations of what is appropriate discipline is very subjective. But when I hear that a child has bruising in that area I have a hard time accepting that was accidental

I can agree with all of that. I don't see AP as evil. He really likely doesn't know any better. It's how he was raised.

Doesn't excuse it and doesn't make it acceptable, but I think most people understand it.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason he was suspended is because the exact opposite is true. Peterson has not shown any remorse and has said he basically would do it again.

This is part of the official letter sent to him:

He's being punished harder because he hasn't shown any remorse and keeps saying he doesn't think he did anything wrong.

BS? I'm sure many of you feel that way, but the league is a brand and having very public figures like this sully it is bad for business. They at the very least have to send a clear message that they do not support this type of ABUSE.

I spanked my kids when they needed it, but NEVER in my life did I leave welts and genital bruising? This isn't simple disciplining of your kids, it's pure fucking abuse. And it wasn't just one time. He did it to more than one kid and more than one time. He's an abuser.

The league got it right in this case.

Are you sure? I mean I spanked my kids too but I never ever made them drop their pants after to check if they were bruised. Maybe they were slightly, I doubt it but who knows? I only ever used my hand and never used a switch or belt either. Maybe your kids were bruised too or had some marks that may have shown up in a photo. Did you ever check the next day? Probably most people wouldn't. I personally don't feel like I "abused" my kids because my definition of abuse is probably far different than some others. No doubt some people will say we've both "abused" our kids. The issue relies so much on personal opinion that it is virtually impossible to get a consensus on what constitutes abuse.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now he has more time to spend at home with his other six children....hide the wooden spoons kids!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure? I mean I spanked my kids too but I never ever made them drop their pants after to check if they were bruised. Maybe they were slightly, I doubt it but who knows? I only ever used my hand and never used a switch or belt either. Maybe your kids were bruised too or had some marks that may have shown up in a photo. Did you ever check the next day? Probably most people wouldn't. I personally don't feel like I "abused" my kids because my definition of abuse is probably far different than some others. No doubt some people will say we've both "abused" our kids. The issue relies so much on personal opinion that it is virtually impossible to get a consensus on what constitutes abuse.

Yes, I can say I never came close to doing anything that resulted in what we saw in those pictures. I am 100% sure of it.

I mean are some of you really down to splitting hairs this much? What he did repeatedly to those kids was pure abuse. There is no room for debate on it. Now I agree he doesn't see it that way and is likely just doing what was done to him, but that's the very reason we need to stop this cycle! You can't let these neanderthals continue this outrageous behavior so that it then passes off to the next generation and so forth.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I can say I never came close to doing anything that resulted in what we saw in those pictures. I am 100% sure of it.

I mean are some of you really down to splitting hairs this much? What he did repeatedly to those kids was pure abuse. There is no room for debate on it. Now I agree he doesn't see it that way and is likely just doing what was done to him, but that's the very reason we need to stop this cycle! You can't let these neanderthals continue this outrageous behavior so that it then passes off to the next generation and so forth.

I agree with you AP went too far when you see the pics. I'm not even debating about AP anymore really. I'm really talking more about the whole spanking debate in general at this point. There is little point though, since no one will have their view swayed one way or the other anyway.