• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone else concerned about the Chiefs?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Marshall is not really a deep threat, either. Sure, you might throw it deep to either one every now and then, but that's not really their game. Neither have finished in the top 10 in yards per catch, and really the only time either was close was Bowe in 2010 when he averaged 16.1 yards per catch, good enough for 12th in the league. But his career average is just 13.7 (Marshall's is 12.7).

They may go deep occasionally, but that's not really what they're known for.

Defining a guy as a deep threat based solely on YPC is naive. There are a lot of different ways to arrive at, say a YPC of 13. Both Marshall and Bowe, while not the speediest WRs in the league, are both very capable of making plays deep down the field (i.e., they are deep threats).

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your thoughts I am just saying both can be deep threats because of their ability to high point the ball over the top of most corners in the league. Andy Reid likes to stretch the field so it is surprising to me with Avery and Jenkins both having speed and Bowe having the size that he does that Reid is not trying to push the ball down the field a little more. I think a lot of that though has to boil down to Smith not being known as a deep ball quarterback. He had this same problem in San Fran where they had players that could take the top off the defense yet Harbaugh rarely pushed the ball down the field with Smith in the game. Instead he played a lot of small ball and relied on the defense to keep them in games.

There's more to being a deep threat than just being able to high point the ball. As for the Chiefs, again, they can't protect the quarterback well enough to throw it deep. Jenkins is a bust who can't get open to save his life, and Bowe is more of a possession receiver than a deep threat.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defining a guy as a deep threat based solely on YPC is naive. There are a lot of different ways to arrive at, say a YPC of 13. Both Marshall and Bowe, while not the speediest WRs in the league, are both very capable of making plays deep down the field (i.e., they are deep threats).

My point is that's not playing to their strength. If you're a receiver in the NFL, you are capable of making plays down the field. However, guys like Bowe and Marshall aren't really known for that. That's not really their game.

I guess if you want to call "capable of making plays deep down the field" a deep threat, then yes they are deep threats just like every other receiver in the NFL (even Brandon Stokley made some plays deep down the field last season). However, I define deep threat as someone who the defense has to make a point to take the deep ball away from, like a DeSean Jackson. It's a big part of his game, whereas someone like Bowe or Marshall may go deep occasionally, but it's really not their game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's more to being a deep threat than just being able to high point the ball. As for the Chiefs, again, they can't protect the quarterback well enough to throw it deep. Jenkins is a bust who can't get open to save his life, and Bowe is more of a possession receiver than a deep threat.

I understand there is more than just high pointing the ball but any receiver that is considered a true #1 which Marshall and Bowe are have that ability to play deep and also be a possession receiver. I have seen Bowe burn a corner or two because they don't respect his deep play ability and try to jump when he does double moves. Anyway this is stupid to argue over this little detail. The point is the Chiefs still have speed in Avery and Jenkins that should open things up down the field. The Chiefs have not taken advantage of that for a few reasons. I agree that the right side of the line has not blocked well making it difficult but at the same time the Chiefs haven't even hardly tried to go deep which I think speaks to the limitations of Smith. He had good blocking possibly the best OL in football in San Fran and they didn't go deep either even though they had some weapons that could spread the field. This isn't new for Smith throughout his career. He has never been known for his ability to hit the deep pass or to be willing to take the chance on the deep pass. He is Kyle Orton 2.0 with a little better scrambling ability.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is the Chiefs still have speed in Avery and Jenkins that should open things up down the field.

Except that Jenkins can't play dead. Why do you think the 49ers were so eager to dump? The fact that he has speed is irrelevant; he's awful and can't play.

The Chiefs have not taken advantage of that for a few reasons. I agree that the right side of the line has not blocked well making it difficult but at the same time the Chiefs haven't even hardly tried to go deep which I think speaks to the limitations of Smith.

Look we all know what Smith is. He's the definition of a game manager. He's not going to lose you many games, but he won't win you many, either. But going deep isn't really Andy Reid's style anyway. Sure, he did the last couple of years with DeSean Jackson, but really he's a West Coast offense guy. That mindset coupled with the Chiefs personnel (especially their line) and they just aren't going to take many shots down the field this season.

This isn't new for Smith throughout his career. He has never been known for his ability to hit the deep pass or to be willing to take the chance on the deep pass. He is Kyle Orton 2.0 with a little better scrambling ability.

That's why I said their offense reminds me of the Broncos offense from 2009. It's also why I'm not getting too worked up about their 3-0 start. Shoot, the Cardinals were 4-0 last year, and that included a win in New England, and they weren't any good. It's a long season.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hm, interesting comments...

MWUUUUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! be afraid, be VERY afraid...

hehe, just messin' with y'all...:lol:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that Jenkins can't play dead. Why do you think the 49ers were so eager to dump? The fact that he has speed is irrelevant; he's awful and can't play.

Look we all know what Smith is. He's the definition of a game manager. He's not going to lose you many games, but he won't win you many, either. But going deep isn't really Andy Reid's style anyway. Sure, he did the last couple of years with DeSean Jackson, but really he's a West Coast offense guy. That mindset coupled with the Chiefs personnel (especially their line) and they just aren't going to take many shots down the field this season.

That's why I said their offense reminds me of the Broncos offense from 2009. It's also why I'm not getting too worked up about their 3-0 start. Shoot, the Cardinals were 4-0 last year, and that included a win in New England, and they weren't any good. It's a long season.

I understand Jenkins is not great at getting off the line. A big reason he was let go by the 49ers so quickly is this reason especially when it comes to their division where the Rams, Cardinals, and Seahawks all like to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage limiting his big play ability. In the AFC West I would say the Broncos are the only team he will play that actually plays this style. Doesn't mean he will be productive but he should have a few more opportunities than when he was in the NFC West.

Reid has played an aggressive style well before these last couple of years. With McNabb he played it quite often actually. Now not as much as the last couple of years but he didn't stick to the strict West Coast offense either. He allowed McNabb to play more of a back yard type offense of letting him make plays and improvise.

I agree the 3-0 start is not something I would get overly anxious about as a Broncos fan. They have played Dallas and that is about it for actual competition. Philly is showing why this fast paced offense cannot be good through a whole season and well the Raiders just beat Jacksonville so beating them is nothing to get too excited about. The Chiefs are better than last year but they still have some major limitations with an average line, average receiving core, and average quarterback. The Defense looks good on all levels but I would say last night if it weren't for the turnovers the Eagles walk away with a victory. They were moving the ball half way well against that defense but just some dumb errors like the turnovers and dropped passes really killed any kind of momentum they should have had. Just like the analyst were getting after Dallas for not blowing out the Giants in week one when they turned the ball over 6 times I have real reservations about the Chiefs not being able to blow out the Eagles with 4 turnovers especially against a gassed defense with only 4 days between games.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were not a 2 win team last year. I mean they had 6 pro bowlers, and you will never see that again. A team with 2 wins that has 6 pro bowlers.

They are legitimately good.

For that matter, Mike McCoy is a really good in San Diego imo. He is an outstanding coach and the Chargers will also be pretty tough.

After watching them trounce the Eagles last night?

Absolutely not...

Do not get me wrong, KC is a good team this year. Their defense is tough and no joke, their offense is decent, especially Charles, but they should have put 40 or more up on the Eagles last night with the amount of turnovers, field position, TOP they had. I really walked away underwhelmed by both teams (especially the Eagles).

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you should be...PHI did everything they could to give KC that game, but they forced those turnovers last night...Hali is a beast still and the big boy Poe upfront is showing maybe he was worth a top 10 pick or whatever he was. On OFC...Avery was great last night, but 1 catch from Bowe is not going to cut it.

No, the fumble on the punt (I am going on what the radio announcers said on this one, I was still at work) was ridiculous and both interceptions were basically gifts from Vick, their was no forcing involved in them.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am worried but not worried at the same time. I am worried for the future as the Chiefs do seem to have a lot of young talent that has finally found a coach that knows how to use them. The defense for them is pretty darn talented although watching the game last night Sean Smith if he was going up against a more talented WR like what we got he would have been burned all night. The Chiefs offense though playing against a pretty weak defense still struggled to do anything and the protection up front does not look good which is not good for them considering we will have Von Miller back by the time we play them going up against a rookie RT.

So mostly for this season I am not scared of them although I do think we could lose @Arrowhead this year. I do think the Chiefs will now make the playoffs considering how weak the AFC is after about the top 3 teams in the AFC. Honestly 9-7 should get a playoff spot this year so the Chiefs are a 1/3 of the way there and only have to finish 6-7 the rest of the way.

As for the Chargers they honestly do not scare me at all. The protection for Rivers is better and he looks like he is getting rid of it quicker but they have very little run game and their receivers are dropping like flies. Defensively they look like they have regressed some from the year before. They were a top 10 defense last year (I know we are early into the season so maybe they can get back to that level) but they had a ton of turnover on that side of the ball and right now at least they are missing some major assignments at times.

100% :agree:

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you should be...PHI did everything they could to give KC that game, but they forced those turnovers last night...Hali is a beast still and the big boy Poe upfront is showing maybe he was worth a top 10 pick or whatever he was. On OFC...Avery was great last night, but 1 catch from Bowe is not going to cut it.

as far as Dwayne Bowe goes the guy actually had 2 passes thrown his way and he(naturally) dropped the first one. i STILL wonder at times why this guy gets paid the money he does...

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the fumble on the punt (I am going on what the radio announcers said on this one, I was still at work) was ridiculous and both interceptions were basically gifts from Vick, their was no forcing involved in them.

Really you could only say the Chiefs "forced" 3 of the turnovers, the two picks and Vick's fumble at the end. The picks were really terrible decisions and throws from Vick. The muffed punt and bad snap were both gifts from the Eagles.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as Dwayne Bowe goes the guy actually had 2 passes thrown his way and he(naturally) dropped the first one. i STILL wonder at times why this guy gets paid the money he does...

Because he had one great season.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really you could only say the Chiefs "forced" 3 of the turnovers, the two picks and Vick's fumble at the end. The picks were really terrible decisions and throws from Vick. The muffed punt and bad snap were both gifts from the Eagles.

still, i'll take "3 forced fumbles" ANY game, and i'm sure you would too...

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still, i'll take "3 forced fumbles" ANY game, and i'm sure you would too...

No doubt, just saying you can't expect the other team to gift you 2 unforced turnovers every week.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why I did not classify the picks as forced, it more looked to me like Vick derping on the field.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else concerned about the Chiefs?

No.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hehe, too bad the Eunuch didn't make it over here. no doubt he'd be talking a WHOLE lotta crap by now...