• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ANYBODY WANT TO DEFEND BEVELL NOW????

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wizard Hawk: For what it's worth, I understand your point. Those other guys are just too emotional right now. They are reading into your post things that you never stated.

Yeah, I'm sure it will be easier to reason with them after they calm down. I just don't get that worked up over sports. Disappointed? Sure. Who wouldn't be. They were so close. But take the time to look at the big picture and put that loss into the proper context and perspective.

It seems only stoker is capable of doing that in the early hours after this loss. We are on an island and I'm totally fine with that.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Look at the replay. How is that the 'middle of the defense'? It's not. It was on the right side with nothing but 2 WR on 2 DB's. When you people keep saying that stuff it just tells me you don't have a clue about what you are trying to talk about.

Seriously, go look at that play again and pay close attention to that side. Kearse was supposed to rub the other defender and failed miserably. Lockette ran a lazy route and didn't sell the fake move. And Wilson should have thrown it a bit lower and to the right. No chance of the INT if that ball is placed out there. Not a guaranteed catch, but no INT.

Sell the fake? Look who picked it. It was a guy on his toes looking to go forward on the snap. WTF is with you? It was the worst play call of the season in the biggest moment. It went against personnel, previous success, situation, ... But keep defending it for god knows what reason. You're literally the only guy doing it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sell the fake? Look who picked it. It was a guy on his toes looking to go forward on the snap. WTF is with you? It was the worst play call of the season in the biggest moment. It went against personnel, previous success, situation, ... But keep defending it for god knows what reason. You're literally the only guy doing it.

Maybe, if I was actually defending it. :L

A few of you really can't read. I STILL haven't once defended the call. Not ever. Not anywhere. Not on any level. But this is all you and boogie have today.

My first post to this thread was blame Carroll. If I thought it was the right call there would be no one to blame.

How can I make it any more clear? I mean seriously. :lol:

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Look at the replay. How is that the 'middle of the defense'? It's not. It was on the right side with nothing but 2 WR on 2 DB's. When you people keep saying that stuff it just tells me you don't have a clue about what you are trying to talk about.

Seriously, go look at that play again and pay close attention to that side. Kearse was supposed to rub the other defender and failed miserably. Lockette ran a lazy route and didn't sell the fake move. And Wilson should have thrown it a bit lower and to the right. No chance of the INT if that ball is placed out there. Not a guaranteed catch, but no INT.

While these 3 points are all true, and while each of those 3 guys failed with respect to the execution of the play, this is a moot point.

The key here (which you have been somewhat discounting by the general tone of your posts) is that the play should never have been called to begin with. Not on 2nd down. Not with 1 timeout still remaining. Not with the best short yardage RB in the league. Not against the worst short yardage defense in the league. And not from the 1 yard line. Period. End of Story.

Fans who are irate and want to focus on this aren't "crybabies" or "poor sports". Rather, they're simply dumfounded by the magnitude of failure at the most critical juncture and want a reasonable answer as to why it happened. And they also want someone to be held responsible for it. That's really not an unreasonable expectation for fans to have.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Execution on a play that is called is never moot in any situation. Say what you want about that call, but if it was executed properly, or at least thrown away, they go on with the 'rest of the plan' as they put it which was two runs (if needed).

It is no more acceptable to dismiss the entirely of all blame than to say you are doing nothing but focusing on one area of blame.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should've used a better word than 'moot', more like secondary. Because it's a very risky, inherently flawed call to begin with and shouldn't even be in the playbook.

The design of the play is too complicated because it hinges on too many people with specific assignments. And to call it for our #4/#5 best receiver in Lockette was simply incomprehensible. We're talking about a headcase who's been cut numerous times and shouldn't even be on the team.

And the shotgun formation creates a huge disadvantage for the offense, especially with a short QB. We suddenly go from the 1 yard line to a single-read 8 yard slant by a short QB stuck in the pocket who has to throw over the DL and is forced to stare down his receiver.

Thus, the downside of such a call (especially with our QB and WR personnel, combined with the placement on the field) far outweighs the potential upside of gaining a single yard from it. You never want to depend on that level execution to gain 1 yard, when you can just hand it off or sneak it 2 or 3 more times in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of Bevell's play calling prior to the interception, he has been a mediocre offensive coordinator who's inabilities were masked by the talent of Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. That being said, he has been a weak link for a while and it's not like this one play call suddenly made him a bad offensive coordinator, he has been a bad offensive coordinator for a long time and this is the icing on the cake. Even if he didn't make that call, I would've been happy to see him go this offseason.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So that is why you can pretty much draw a straight line from the right side of the line to the point of the catch, and the NE safety that was playing the middle zone was only a second behind the play? Okay.

But let's pretend for a second all you said was correct, just for giggles. Are you going to tell me that a play that requires a perfect pick, with a perfect route, with a perfect thrown, that is only possible with a defense being so kind as to crash away from the only route the QB has time to read is even a halfway intelligent call?

Could we have pulled it off? Maybe. Still wouldn't change the fact that their were at least four other types of calls( with nearly innumerable permutations) that would have been smarter in that scenario.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that is why you can pretty much draw a straight line from the right side of the line to the point of the catch, and the NE safety that was playing the middle zone was only a second behind the play? Okay.

But let's pretend for a second all you said was correct, just for giggles. Are you going to tell me that a play that requires a perfect pick, with a perfect route, with a perfect thrown, that is only possible with a defense being so kind as to crash away from the only route the QB has time to read is even a halfway intelligent call?

Could we have pulled it off? Maybe. Still wouldn't change the fact that their were at least four other types of calls( with nearly innumerable permutations) that would have been smarter in that scenario.

Jesus people. Grow up and get over it already. It's a fucking football game, not an invasion of America.

People a lot smarter than you pointed out the 2 on 2 and no safety help. Clayton said the hawks have ran the play successfully in other games this year and also described it as a 2 on 2 play where Kearse blew it by not clearing out the other back on his assigned rub route.

The correct thing to do there was throw the ball away and move on to what Carroll/Bevell said was two more planned running plays. Wilson blew it. Lockette was lame. Kearse was bad on the block (give browner credit). Don't like that play? Well who would considering it failed ffs. :lol: Just put your power group in and go for it. Coaches said they wanted to run the clock down so they were actually worried Lynch would score too quickly and give Brady too much time to come back. Always hate that. Just score. You can't win if you don't score.

If you all want to sit up here for weeks crying in your milk over this and keep putting it all on Bevell, there is nothing I can do to educate you anyway. You are already beyond help.

I'll go right ahead and keep blaming everyone who had their part in it including Wilson and Carroll, both of which are entirely off limits for any of you. They both had their share in this loss.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus people. Grow up and get over it already. It's a fucking football game, not an invasion of America.

People a lot smarter than you pointed out the 2 on 2 and no safety help. Clayton said the hawks have ran the play successfully in other games this year and also described it as a 2 on 2 play where Kearse blew it by not clearing out the other back on his assigned rub route.

The correct thing to do there was throw the ball away and move on to what Carroll/Bevell said was two more planned running plays. Wilson blew it. Lockette was lame. Kearse was bad on the block (give browner credit). Don't like that play? Well who would considering it failed ffs. :lol: Just put your power group in and go for it. Coaches said they wanted to run the clock down so they were actually worried Lynch would score too quickly and give Brady too much time to come back. Always hate that. Just score. You can't win if you don't score.

If you all want to sit up here for weeks crying in your milk over this and keep putting it all on Bevell, there is nothing I can do to educate you anyway. You are already beyond help.

I'll go right ahead and keep blaming everyone who had their part in it including Wilson and Carroll, both of which are entirely off limits for any of you. They both had their share in this loss.

People a lot smarter than you have called it among the worst play calls in recent Super Bowl memory. And coaches were worried that Lynch would score to quickly? Well. That undercuts the "fuck that play call" argument, now doesn't it?

And GFY, by the way. "it up here crying for weeks crying in your milk?" It' hasn't even been 24 hours. When did you get to be the final arbiter of when fans can stop being upset? And plenty of people have pointed out there is a lot of blame to go around. Jesus, there is an entire thread callings out Carroll for not throwing in a veto for that call. That is about as asinine a claim as the one you made last night about posters not losing with class, and refusing to give the Pats any credit. Seriously, what the hell is your malfunction? Did the posters in this forum take turns kicking your dog or something?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Wilson thrown the ball into Lockette's body or had Kearse beaten Browner or had Lockette not let Butler take his candy, the Seahawks would have likely scored (maybe on that play) and won and everyone would be talking about how big Darrell Bevell's nuts are!

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Wilson thrown the ball into Lockette's body or had Kearse beaten Browner or had Lockette not let Butler take his candy, the Seahawks would have likely scored (maybe on that play) and won and everyone would be talking about how big Darrell Bevell's nuts are!

But that's not happened. You know why that didn't happen? Because a bunch of things needed to go right on the same play when we were on the 1/2 yard line didn't and the high risk play we dialed up was a disaster. It was the dumbest play call he ever made given the situation.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's not happened. You know why that didn't happen? Because a bunch of things needed to go right on the same play when we were on the 1/2 yard line didn't and the high risk play we dialed up was a disaster. It was the dumbest play call he ever made given the situation.

It wasn't the play call NEARLY as much as it was the execution.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't the play call NEARLY as much as it was the execution.

Whatever dude. They decided to run a fucking timing pattern over the middle when they had the ball on the 1 yard line. That's the one play that had the potential to blow up and cost them the game, and guess what, it did. It was fucking stupid to call that play. Roll him out and make a safe pass if you're going to throw or just throw it away if there's nothing there. Most abysmal play call possible in that situation.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANYBODY WANT TO DEFEND BEVELL NOW????

I will.
Earlier I said Bevel would be fired by the end of the week.
Now I'm not so sure.

Bevel's offense had Seahawks leading 24-14 late and Seahawks could not hold the lead.
Maybe the DC was "distracted"?
Patriots initially lined up for Goal Line Defense, and Seahawks thought they had a better matchup with a pass play.
The route had Baldwin open, but the ball wasn't there.

Wilson and the pick play by the other receivers did not execute.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The clear outs and passes to the under receivers are exactly what killed the Seahawks at San Diego.

All Patriots did was replicate that.

I blame the DC Dan Quinn for not adapting.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The clear outs and passes to the under receivers are exactly what killed the Seahawks at San Diego.

All Patriots did was replicate that.

I blame the DC Dan Quinn for not adapting.

It's not Quinn's fault that Simon sucks and Avril got injured.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying it for years and idiots on this board still defend the guy. that one play was the epitome of everything I have criticized him for. He should be fired right on the spot for calling that play, absolutely no way possible to defend it. worst play call possibly in SUPERBOWL HISTORY.
Facts:
26 seconds left, 2nd down, one time out left.
No int's were thrown from the one this year until last night.
Lynch was run in this situation five times this year: he only got in the EZ once.
If you run and miss, call the last TO, then you virtually HAVE TO pass on 3rd, and the D will know it.

Carroll was going to run Lynch 3 out of 4 downs that series. Given time left and one time out, he had to pass once. What's the best down to throw on?

If you run on 2nd down and miss, you have to call the last time out. Then, the Defense KNOWS you have to throw on 3rd.

If you pass on 2nd, then you save the Time Out. The defense doesn't know what you're going to do on 3rd down.

Carroll was going to run Lynch 3 of 4 downs. he had to throw once. Throwing on 2nd down was the best time to do that.

QED.

Unless you can acutely counter the above logic, stfu

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look... I've defended him as much as anyone and that one play wasn't the only reason the Hawks lost, but when you have a running back who regularly fights through tackles for at least one yard, you should at least give him one shot at it from the one before you try a pass. He was averaging 4.3 yards a carry and had over 100 yards for the game. Just give him a chance to get the one yard you need to win before trying a pass. They tried to get cute instead of doing what they do best and it burned them. I don't think that's overreaction or hindsight talking. It's not like Lynch hasn't gone up against a team's goal line package before and beaten it either, so I don't buy that as an excuse not to run it here. This is the kind of situation a back like Lynch is made for. At least give him a shot.

Carroll was going to run 3 of 4 downs. He had to pass once. 2nd down was the most logical time to pass because it keeps the Defense guessing as to what you are going to do.

If you run on 2nd and have to use the last TO, then the defense knows you HAVE TO pass on 3rd and will ready for it.

Sorry if y'all want to work off of hate and ignorance, but I will work off logic and best practices.... pass on 2nd down is the best choice.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:
26 seconds left, 2nd down, one time out left.
No int's were thrown from the one this year until last night.
Lynch was run in this situation five times this year: he only got in the EZ once.
If you run and miss, call the last TO, then you virtually HAVE TO pass on 3rd, and the D will know it.

Carroll was going to run Lynch 3 out of 4 downs that series. Given time left and one time out, he had to pass once. What's the best down to throw on?

If you run on 2nd down and miss, you have to call the last time out. Then, the Defense KNOWS you have to throw on 3rd.

If you pass on 2nd, then you save the Time Out. The defense doesn't know what you're going to do on 3rd down.

Carroll was going to run Lynch 3 of 4 downs. he had to throw once. Throwing on 2nd down was the best time to do that.

QED.

Unless you can acutely counter the above logic, stfu

This guys been quoting this on a couple of different boards. He must of copied it from an espn site or something. I guess he must be related to Bevell or Carroll or something with all the sucking off he's doing. I guess you'll have that when there's nothing going on on the other boards.