• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ansah Prediction

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what Avril's arm length is, but I definitely don't remember anyone talking about it being good. And don't underestimate reach. It is huge on the defensive line. If he is proportionate at 6'3" It means that he has average length at his position.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did your parents drop you on your head? I said Avril is 6'3", therefore he has long arms. It comes with the territory. If Avril's wingspan is in proportion with his body -- he had a 75" wingspan. Anything over that -- he has longer arms. Anything under that, he has shorter arms.

That is why they say Ansah has a long wingspan, because at 6'5", he has the wingspan of someone 6'9". See how that works -- at 6'5", he should have a wingspan of 77", but instead has a wingspan of 81".

See- there you go again. You said Avril has long arms because of his height, then you said you have no idea how long his arms are, and now you're saying that he has long arms again. Make up your mind and quit waffling.

Also, stop treating us like we're stupid. I think a ton of these debates linger on because you think we're a bunch of idiots who can't figure stuff out. When talking about a player who has really long arms, we're not saying that he's 6'5" and inherently has long arms, we're saying that he has long arms for his height.

Do you really think when the analysts talk about an o-linemen having some of the longest arms in the draft it's because the guy is 6'7"? No, because a ton of o-linemen are that height. When they say a guy has long arms, it's long arms in relation to his height. As in "unusually long arms."

Your obvious point that a guy who is 6'3" like Avril will have longer arms than an average male of 5'8" is useless. Any moron can figure that out, the fact that you even are trying to sell us that Avril has "long" arms because of his height tells me that you just don't understand what we're talking about.

And then you totally contradict yourself by explaining why Ansah is considered to have long arms. Using that same metric on Avril, yet openly admitting to not knowing his arm length, you can't say he has long arms. But then you say Avril does indeed have long arms.

You're the easiest person in the world to debate with because you constantly use self-defeating "logic."

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what Avril's arm length is, but I definitely don't remember anyone talking about it being good. And don't underestimate reach. It is huge on the defensive line. If he is proportionate at 6'3" It means that he has average length at his position.
That's pretty much where I'm at too, Quack. I can't find his arm length anywhere, but it stands to reason that if it was above average we'd be able to find something about it, right?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you tell me why Ansah is stronger than Avril, since you made the statement.

Lol, there you go again, trying to pigeon hole something. I did say Ansah is stronger than Avril, and I'm far from the only one. I think one of these days, since you're a dad and all now, you should probably grow up and put your big-boy pants on. I remember another thread where you said you work from home because you struggled working for others- well I think it's pretty obvious why: everything with you is always someone else's fault/problem/mistake. You don't seem to be able to handle being wrong, but a huge part of being a normal, well adjusted grown-up is being wrong on a daily basis and being able to deal with it without having a melt-down...

To answer your question of why Ansah is stronger that Avril- the simple answer is I don't know. He's just stronger, the "why" could be genetics, god, el nino, etc... He's stronger because he's stronger, simple as that.

I know, though, Avril bench pressed more one time 5 years ago, so we probably never should have let him go in free agency- that should save you from having to post this...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jason Hanson comment is just idiocy, as the kicker will be working out........................his legs, as upper body strength has nothing to do with being a kicker.
That's funny that you call it idiocy when I was using it to point out the foolishness of your initial post that said Avril is stringer because he's been in the NFL for 5 years.

You're essentially calling your own point idiotic, because all I did was use your logic that you offered up. If Avril is stringer than Ansah simple because he's been working with an NFL strength coach for 5 years (your words, not mine) then by your own logic Jason Hanson, who worked with a strength coach for 20+ years must be insanely, beastly string, right?

Can't have your cake and eat it too, man. You like to use stuff like this when it suits you, and then defy your own logic when it's convenient.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely amazing, I ask TrustMeIWillNeverAdmitIMightBeWrong 3 times to tell me what Avril has that Ansah doesn't and he never says a word. I'm out for a couple days and come back to find him asking others for answer after answer to his questions when it serves his purpose. But has nothing to say when questions are ask of him that don't. I question my own intelligence for entering a discussion with someone like that. It won't happen again.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny that you call it idiocy when I was using it to point out the foolishness of your initial post that said Avril is stringer because he's been in the NFL for 5 years.

You're essentially calling your own point idiotic, because all I did was use your logic that you offered up. If Avril is stringer than Ansah simple because he's been working with an NFL strength coach for 5 years (your words, not mine) then by your own logic Jason Hanson, who worked with a strength coach for 20+ years must be insanely, beastly string, right?

Can't have your cake and eat it too, man. You like to use stuff like this when it suits you, and then defy your own logic when it's convenient.

Do you realize how dumb you sound right now? What does a kicker use in the NFL? Tell me what the workout plan an NFL team would curtail for a kicker? Maybe...........strengthing his legs, since you know, he KICKS THE BALL FOR A LIVING.

As far as Ansah and Avril -- in the only strength test put on at the combine -- Avril outlifted Ansah. That was FIVE YEARS AGO. What do you think Avril has done in the past 5 years working out with the Lions strength coach? Did he get weaker? RobBase was a personal trainer -- ask him what he could do to a client if they followed his lifting program for 5 years. Going out on a limb and saying they will not only get stronger, but much stronger.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of these days, since you're a dad and all now, you should probably grow up and put your big-boy pants on. I remember another thread where you said you work from home because you struggled working for others- well I think it's pretty obvious why: everything with you is always someone else's fault/problem/mistake. You don't seem to be able to handle being wrong, but a huge part of being a normal, well adjusted grown-up is being wrong on a daily basis and being able to deal with it without having a melt-down...

Actually I own a Vending Company and people work for me. I honestly have no idea where the comment that everything is someone else's fault/problem/mistake. I simply said -- if player A lifts 225 27 times and player 5 lifts 225 21 times. Player A is stronger. Now give Player A an extra five years of working out with a professional strength coach and I'm guessing he is probably still stronger than Player B.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer your question of why Ansah is stronger that Avril- the simple answer is I don't know. He's just stronger, the "why" could be genetics, god, el nino, etc... He's stronger because he's stronger, simple as that.

I know, though, Avril bench pressed more one time 5 years ago, so we probably never should have let him go in free agency- that should save you from having to post this...

I'm still waiting to hear how he is stronger. What do you have to show Ansah is stronger? The smartest thing you said in your post is "I don't know", because there is nothing that tells you Ansah is stronger and the only time both players were measured for strength -- Avril was stronger.

Then again -- maybe you are right. Maybe the Lions don't employ a strength coach and put the players thru rigorous weight training. Maybe that is why the Lions have struggled on the defensive side of the ball. All these guys they draft are getting weaker once they join the Lions.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could give two shits who is stronger. You two kill me. Let's see what happens this year. Then we can argue over stupid shit. IMO if Ansah tackles a RB 5 times this year I am happy.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v07Q9i2UpNk]Don't argue with an ibex english subs - YouTube[/ame]

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for tomorrow. This Tommy and Dickie Smothers thread is one of the more entertaining off-season threads in a long time.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for tomorrow. This Tommy and Dickie Smothers thread is one of the more entertaining off-season threads in a long time.

I honestly don't see what there is to argue about. The one time the two guys had their strength tested -- Avril was stronger. He has now had five extra years working out with professional trainers, yet somehow in TP's eyes, Ansah is stronger.

If TP wanted to say in 5 years -- Ansah will be much stronger than Avril was in his 5th year in the league -- I would say, I could totally see that, as Ansah has room to put on muscle. To say he is stronger right now makes no sense at all, as he is at an extreme disadvantage to start with as Avril has trained much longer than him.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as some people have 'long' or 'short' arms, some people are freakishly strong for their size. And as some have pointed out, a bench press at a set weight is extremely limited in measuring strength. And to be perfectly fair, since they're asked to bench this weight as many times as they can, it would more accurately measure endurance than strength to begin with. If you want to measure strength per se, you would ask them to bench as much weight as they can, say, two or three times.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't see what there is to argue about. The one time the two guys had their strength tested -- Avril was stronger.

I was unaware that they tested their overall strength, when was this? Are you referring to each player's combine? They test on the bench press there- that's a measurement of pectoral strength, so I suppose you're right that Avril had stronger pecks coming out of college than Ansah does. Unless, of course, you want to factor in arm length. If that's the case then one could use some relatively basic physics to adjust the force needed to move the same weight "x" amount further each rep, since Ansah has longer arms, and figure out who is really "stronger."

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was unaware that they tested their overall strength, when was this? Are you referring to each player's combine? They test on the bench press there- that's a measurement of pectoral strength, so I suppose you're right that Avril had stronger pecks coming out of college than Ansah does. Unless, of course, you want to factor in arm length. If that's the case then one could use some relatively basic physics to adjust the force needed to move the same weight "x" amount further each rep, since Ansah has longer arms, and figure out who is really "stronger."

And you used what to form your stance on the strength of Ansah? His extensive game tapes from college? The fact he had to skip weight training in the offseason at BYU to work as a custodian and groundskeeper, because he had to pay his own way at BYU until his senior year, as he wasn't on scholarship?

You can call the strength test at the combine a wash if you'd like and say they did the same amount. Just the fact Avril has had 5 years extra to workout with professional trainers in the Lions organization should tell a normal person -- Avril is going to be stronger RIGHT NOW than Ansah is. Do I think Ansah will be much stronger than Avril once the Lions get their hands on him for a few years? Absolutely. He has the body to get bigger. At this point and time -- not a chance Ansah is stronger, for no other reason than, Avril has had more time to concentrate on his strength with professionals and get paid millions of dollars to do so.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench is a very sorry metric for measuring strength as many will tell you. Most college strength and conditioning coaches work on it more for the players' ego and that it will get tested at the combine. Let's see some power clean and jerks. That's some total body strength right there. I'm biased in this convo being such a long armed freak that the bench made me look much weaker than I really was.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought the combine numbers and the combine itself were more for the fans and media to have something to keep their minds on football than anything else. I've always thought the picture was much bigger than the tiny peek we get to see. Bench press? Really? That's all NFL franchises look at to gage strength? I don't believe it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cliff Avril lost his job to an African immigrant, Mormon, janitor nicknamed Bigfoot!?!