• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ansah Prediction

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have gotten the feeling there are some who think Ansah will be awesome in this scheme as a rookie because its probably the easiest position to learn and allow physical talents to shine. Plus with having Suh and Fairley in the middle, he will be in an optimal situation.

I also know there are those who think he will not be so great. You just cant expect a rookie to put up big numbers and his lack of experience screams for a slow start. Not to mention that if Slay doesn't start quick, the QB will once again have open WRs to throw to and get rid of the ball. Maybe the LBs aren't good enough to cover TEs and that allows the QB to get rid of the ball before Ansah can make a huge difference.

So I want your predictions. How many sacks do you think Ansah will get?

Personally I say 8. I think his athleticism and situation is too strong to be a bust, but his lack of experience will keep him from reaching Avril's numbers in his first year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11.5 sacks for Bigfoot Ansah. Why not. He's playing next to the best DT combo in the league.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go with 10 but it could be 5 or 15......Really don't know what were getting with Ziggy other then freakish ability...But if OTs learn how to play him then it could be a slow learning process for him.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking somewhere right around the 9.5 mark. If he is doing awesome, he'll be doubled coupled with a quick passing heavy draw and screen gameplan combined with having to share sacks with his awesome defensive tackles. That will keep the nuimbers down. If he is doing just middling he'll get around 8 because he'll be single blocked all the time.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't make a prediction because sack numbers mean nothing to me. If the opposing QB is being frustrated by lack of time to throw, and the Lions D is getting off the field, I don't care if he doesn't get a single sack. The sack is an over-rated stat. Avril got a bunch of them, and he sucked.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 is my guesstimate

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the sack is not the end all be all, but how can you say Avril sucked if he got a lot of sacks. If you dont get a lot of sacks and still get pressure on the QB I can agree he is still getting the job done, but if you get a lot of sacks, isnt that also putting pressure on the QB by default?

Avril in now way sucked. He had double digit sacks and that is pretty good in any system. The only flaw against him was his run defense, but I still think that is the system of the wide-9 and not the player so much. DEs are to be extremely fast and get to the QB on every play. Because of that, when it is a run play, they sometimes are out of position to make the play. It is much harder to change directions and go after a RB when you are running at a high speed than it is to do so at a slower speed. That is why I think Jones will be more of the run stop DE.

Avril has a chance to be better than Avril, but the NFL will use his speed against him in the run game just like it did with Avril as a Lion.

Anywas, this thread was not about how good do you think he will be. It was just wondering how many sacks you think he will get. There is more to being a WR than catching the ball. There is blocking on run plays, or when other receivers get the ball or playing defense on bad passes. But nobody wants to guess how much a WR will block for a RB. People guess at the sexy stats, not the important but behind the scene stats. It is no fun to guess how many times Ansah will tackle a RB, because he has no control over how often the RB will even go to his side of the field. In the wide-9 scheme, his primary objective will be to get to the QB. Thus the sack is the one to have fun with.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont expect him to be doubled very often in his rookie season. Just like Suh wasnt so much in his. Opponents will wait until he proves himself before they give him the honor of the double team. Especially with Suh on the same side. They already have to double Suh almost every play. To double Ansah means it would be placing 4 players just to those two men. If he proves he will do it all season, then they might later in the year, but I doubt he will see many double teams most of his rookie year.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Avril's true value was inflated by his sack numbers. He'd have that one play in a game where he'd get a sack, and disappear for the rest of the game. Sometimes he'd have multiple sacks in a game and disappear for weeks at a time. 2011 i think he had 4 sacks vs the bears, without that game, he would been an average to below average DE

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cliff Avril Fucking Sucks!!! I predict Ansah is already better, but no idea what his sack total will be. It's not like Cliff got many against anyone other than Tebow, Cutler, Joe Webb and Rodgers while he was giving himself up, the last two seasons anyway.