• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ansah Prediction

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank Rudy that Avril turned down the richest contract he will ever be offered.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the offseason, Ziggy cleans up other peoples messes. Cliffy holds out, gets soft, and yaps it up on ze twitter.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench is a very sorry metric for measuring strength as many will tell you. Most college strength and conditioning coaches work on it more for the players' ego and that it will get tested at the combine. Let's see some power clean and jerks. That's some total body strength right there. I'm biased in this convo being such a long armed freak that the bench made me look much weaker than I really was.

I agree 100% -- Bench press is only one of many exercises to measure a players strength. It is the only excercise we have readily available to comment on the strength of individual players though.

Even if we say -- the combine event was a push between Ansah and Avril, as Ansah has longer arms, even though we don't know what Avril's wingspan is. It still doesn't change the fact Avril has had a 5 year window to workout with professional strength coaches since that time.

That is why I said -- How can you call Ansah stronger right now than Avril?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football strength and bench press strength (especially at 225 for reps) is apples to oranges. Too bad we don't know their PB at bench, deadlift and squat. That would at least put to rest who is "gym stronger". Are we taking into consideration any injures Avril has suffered over the past 5 years in the NFL vs. Ziggy's unblemished injury history?

At this point it's an argument just to argue. I don't think anyone would ever describe Avril as a "power rusher". He never showed a single ounce of power in his attack. Just watching tape, I think Ansah is football stronger. Remember, Avril was projected to be a 3-4 edge rusher coming out of Purdue before Millen drafted him and miscast him as a DE rush end.

To summarize - longest thread ever arguing about two things impossible to prove (future sacks and who's stronger). Please God week 1 cannot get here fast enough! lol

PS: Mike how is the baby boy doing? My buddy and his wife are due any day now and he's beyond hyped.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that Avril was stronger. I only said that Ansah's bench numbers are more impressive with his arm length, and that bench is a terrible metric for measuring strength.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS: Mike how is the baby boy doing? My buddy and his wife are due any day now and he's beyond hyped.

Is it your friend's first baby? I can say without a doubt -- It is definitely life changing. It is the best and toughest thing I've ever had to do, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

I was very unprepared for the changes that happen. If I could give a piece of advice to your friend -- tell him to get plenty of rest now and takes naps any time the baby is sleeping. Also -- stock up on diapers, wipes and onesies. Lastly --tell him don't even waste money on nice outfits for the newborn -- I have so many Tigers and Lions outfits that he outgrew in less than a month. If it all possible -- find outfits that have a zipper in the front and make sure they have footies on them. When you are dead tired in the middle of the night -- changing a baby and trying to button up the babies outfit is tough. LOL.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we taking into consideration any injures Avril has suffered over the past 5 years in the NFL vs. Ziggy's unblemished injury history?

You'd have to ask those saying Ansah is stronger. The only response I really got was from TP, whose reasons were "I don't know" and "Ansah is stronger, because he is stronger". The other answer is -- Ansah's bench number is more impressive because of his wingspan, but no one knows what Avril's wingspan is.

Answer me this Rob -- TP said you work or worked as a personal trainer. If you were to put someone thru an extensive weight training program for 5 years. This person would also have access to state of the art equipment, nutritionists, etc. Is that person going to get stronger?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other answer is -- Ansah's bench number is more impressive because of his wingspan, but no one knows what Avril's wingspan is.
Heres some quotes that help Ansah's case for having a longer wingspan:

Both ends are tall - Ansah is 6-5, Taylor is 6-7 - with long wingspans
The long arms on the outside, Schwartz added, should help the ends shed blockers more effectively. The chance of swatting down passes is a plus
that `bigger, faster, more athletic' theme he spoke of earlier in the day
We've added some guys who helped us do that," he said. "We're longer on the defensive line, we've got some athletic guys who can run at some positions and we got younger."

Now obviously this doesn't exactly say Ansah is stronger or has an exact amount of a longer wingspan, but it pretty much says they were lacking that kind of stuff they were looking for. Also, as I've stated before, maybe Ansah is just purely stronger than Avril naturally? That actually does happen with genetics.

And u keep pointing to Avril and his "NFL weight room" experience as if Ansah just ate sloppy joes every night while sleeping in a bath of ice cream. Ansah has proper nutrition ad weight training as well in college. May not have been as great as the NFL, but if he was already naturally stronger, then just weight training at a high level like the NCAA would be sufficient.

Sometimes I wish you'd actually do your own research to find your "facts". It gets boring seeing you reply to questions with more questions for everyone else.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were to put someone thru an extensive weight training program for 5 years. This person would also have access to state of the art equipment, nutritionists, etc. Is that person going to get stronger?
Again, u act like Ansah didn't have that opportunity. NCAA football is a huge business, and teams like BYU do get state of the art equipment and trainers, regardless of their Mormon beliefs.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, u act like Ansah didn't have that opportunity. NCAA football is a huge business, and teams like BYU do get state of the art equipment and trainers, regardless of their Mormon beliefs.

Micro -- part of Ansah's upside is the fact he hasn't spent his life training for football. He has room to put on weight and get stronger. I would actually agree -- genetically Ansah is a superior athlete to Avril. He won the genetic lottery.

Ansah has only had 3 years of weight training and I read an article where he couldn't even take part in the BYU offseason weight training program, because he had to work two jobs in the summer to pay for his BYU education. He isn't a normal D-1 athlete -- he was a non-scholarship walk on. He didn't get a scholarship until his last year at BYU.

All I have said -- RIGHT NOW, imo, Avril is stronger, for no other reason than he has had years and years of training with professionals. Not only in college, but another 5 years in the NFL. I think once Ansah has been with the Lions for 2 years going thru workouts, he will not only add another 10-15 lbs of muscle, but he could be an absolute beast. It is also the reason I have said people need to give Ansah time. He could be that once in a lifetime athlete who can step onto the football field from day 1 and dominate. I just think we won't see what he can really be till year 2 or 3 with the Lions, as he has a lot to learn, as he is about as raw of a player you will ever see taken in, not only the top 5, but the 1st round as a whole.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now obviously this doesn't exactly say Ansah is stronger or has an exact amount of a longer wingspan, but it pretty much says they were lacking that kind of stuff they were looking for. Also, as I've stated before, maybe Ansah is just purely stronger than Avril naturally? That actually does happen with genetics.

And u keep pointing to Avril and his "NFL weight room" experience as if Ansah just ate sloppy joes every night while sleeping in a bath of ice cream. Ansah has proper nutrition ad weight training as well in college. May not have been as great as the NFL, but if he was already naturally stronger, then just weight training at a high level like the NCAA would be sufficient.

Sometimes I wish you'd actually do your own research to find your "facts". It gets boring seeing you reply to questions with more questions for everyone else.

I don't see what your quotes are meant for? OF COURSE Detroit got longer at the DE position -- They drafted a guy 6'5" and 6'7" to replace guys who were 6'3" and 6'4". Common sense will tell you that. Nothing in your quotes says anything about strength -- it says bigger, faster, more athletic. Once again -- Detroit drafted 2 of the biggest physical freaks in the draft, so obviously, it will change the outlook of the DE position.

And I never said Ansah was eating sloppy joe's or laying around while Avril was working out like a mad man. Any position player in the NFL basically won the genetic lottery. You don't get to 6'3" 260 lbs with less than 10% body fat, unless you have incredible genetics and you don't run 4.5 40's at that size unless it was god given talent, you can't teach that stuff.

Do I think Ansah is more genetically gifted than Avril? Yes, because of his height and size alone. Avril has had many more years of training in the weight room though, not only before college, but at Purdue and with the Lions.

If you take two genetically gifted athletes and you give one guys 5+ years of extra weight training. Who do you think is going to be stronger? Do you honestly thing Ansah isn't going to get stronger after going thru the Lions weight training program for a couple years?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it your friend's first baby? I can say without a doubt -- It is definitely life changing. It is the best and toughest thing I've ever had to do, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

I was very unprepared for the changes that happen. If I could give a piece of advice to your friend -- tell him to get plenty of rest now and takes naps any time the baby is sleeping. Also -- stock up on diapers, wipes and onesies. Lastly --tell him don't even waste money on nice outfits for the newborn -- I have so many Tigers and Lions outfits that he outgrew in less than a month. If it all possible -- find outfits that have a zipper in the front and make sure they have footies on them. When you are dead tired in the middle of the night -- changing a baby and trying to button up the babies outfit is tough. LOL.

It is their first, due any day now. I agree a lot with what you say here. My wife and I are expecting twins this Fall and are already doing some of these things. Once we know for sure what they are I will be in full swing getting the house ready.

Great to hear things are going well for you and the new family.

Answer me this Rob -- TP said you work or worked as a personal trainer. If you were to put someone thru an extensive weight training program for 5 years. This person would also have access to state of the art equipment, nutritionists, etc. Is that person going to get stronger?

All major NCAA colleges (BYU included) and NFL teams are going to have both. It's not really a matter of who has better equipment will automatically be the better athlete (see Rocky IV).

My stance on this argument is that there is a big difference between football strength and gym strength (esp bench) so it's impossible to prove who is stronger in either. I'm guessing Ansah is stronger based on game tape. He has longer arms, takes longer strides etc...that's momentum. He absolutely has more momentum than Avril at the point of attack, therefore, I'd say Ansah is stronger at DE. But I never thought much of Avril anyways. He was the ultimate clean up man imo, and never the guy who created the breakdown.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what this all comes down to is that neither side can prove which guy is stronger.

You think Avril is stronger, some of us think Ansah is stronger.

The problem seems to be that you can't handle us not sharing your opinion...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it was Bill Pollian who was raving about Ansah's ability to convert speed to power leading up to the draft. There was a whole write-up on why he thought that was the most rare attribute in the NFL. Some guys have speed, he said, and some have power... but the rare ones that dominate the point of attack have both.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone on this thread agrees that Ansah has the potential to be awesome, there is just an argument on how quick he puts it all together. Seems like neither side should care, if the people that are thinking that he will make an impact right away are correct, then both sides should be happy. If it is the other way around then does it still matter? In the end Lions get an elite lineman.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is their first, due any day now. I agree a lot with what you say here. My wife and I are expecting twins this Fall and are already doing some of these things. Once we know for sure what they are I will be in full swing getting the house ready.

Great to hear things are going well for you and the new family.

CONGRATS. Do you have any other kids? If you'd like -- one of my best friends had twin boys about a year ago. If you have any questions or would like me to ask him for any tips -- I would be happy to do so.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what this all comes down to is that neither side can prove which guy is stronger.

You think Avril is stronger, some of us think Ansah is stronger.

The problem seems to be that you can't handle us not sharing your opinion...

It has nothing to do with me not being able to handle you not sharing my opinion. I just asked how you figure Ansah is stronger. When you make the comment, I thought maybe you had reasons why. When you give responses like "I don't know" and "He is stronger, because he is stronger" -- It tells me it is nothing more than wishful thinking and you really have no rhyme or reason why he is stronger.

As I said -- both players are genetically gifted or they wouldn't be the size that they are. Ansah is obviously more genetically gifted as he could be an absolute monster once he is put through a couple years of training with the Lions. My thought process is -- Avril has a huge advantage in the strength dept, because he has had so much of a head start on Ansah, not just in the NFL, but pre-college and then at Purdue. Now for the last 5 years -- his job has been to workout, getting stronger, faster or whatever the Lions decide and get paid for it.

I already admitted -- if you give Ansah those 5 years Avril has had with the Lions -- He will probably not only be stronger, but much stronger than Avril, as Ansah had a bigger frame to add on more muscle.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what your quotes are meant for
You asked a question about wingspan. Those quotes talk about getting "longer" on the DE. I'm taking it as Avril wasn't as "long" and they upgraded that portion on the line. Seems pretty easy to follow to me.