• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another day of nothing: Bogaerts is ready, Clay isn't

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Balboni is as baffled as anyone that his name is still in the Royals record book.

It was 28 years ago that Balboni clubbed 36 home runs and set the team’s single-season record.Since then, baseball’s steroid era has come and gone. Expansion has taken the number of teams from 26 to 30, adding pitchers who otherwise would have been in the minor leagues. On average, teams hit 25 more homers last season than in 1985.
Through it all, Balboni’s record has endured.
“I usually don’t think about it until somebody calls me and says somebody is on a pace or something,” Balboni said by phone. “Other than that, I don’t think about it much. It is surprising, the way people have been hitting home runs in the years since I retired. It does seem unusual that 36 is still the record.”

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm. No. BA's 2008 Red Sox top prospects:

Clay Buchholz, Ellsbury, Masterson, Lowrie and Josh Reddick were all in their top 10....

we were saying the same thing then...and this crop is even more highly touted than that one, which also included Lars Anderson, Ryan Kalish, Mike Bowden and Nick Hagadone...

Aren't Masterson and Ellsbury really the only guys to live up to most of that hype?

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
duquette was atrocious at that

this ownership has really done a good job at rebuilding the mess they inherited, farm wise

we're smart so we know these things

To be fair, the old model required you spend money on H.S. and college underclassmen that dropped due to "signability" issues...Prior to the henry group taking over, the Sox never wanted to spend the money they had to...

Kind of like some peter angelos guy in baltimore....:whistle:

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Balboni is as baffled as anyone that his name is still in the Royals record book.

It was 28 years ago that Balboni clubbed 36 home runs and set the team’s single-season record.Since then, baseball’s steroid era has come and gone. Expansion has taken the number of teams from 26 to 30, adding pitchers who otherwise would have been in the minor leagues. On average, teams hit 25 more homers last season than in 1985.
Through it all, Balboni’s record has endured.
“I usually don’t think about it until somebody calls me and says somebody is on a pace or something,” Balboni said by phone. “Other than that, I don’t think about it much. It is surprising, the way people have been hitting home runs in the years since I retired. It does seem unusual that 36 is still the record.”

the brockton bomber

youre welcome

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogaerts has played 30 games in AAA. He could use a little more time IMO.

Hard not to be excited about him though. He's only 20 and he's hitting .262/.358/.467 with 16:21 BB:K in AAA. Hopefully he'll be able to stick at shortstop. He was batting .311/.407/.502 in AA.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't Masterson and Ellsbury really the only guys to live up to most of that hype?

Buccholz has lived up to the hype...just can't fucking stay healthy which I think are 2 different things...the talent unquestionably there, so the evaluation was correct...but I agree with what you're about to say about his injury riddled ass....

Same with Lowrie...

Reddick? He's a quality MLB'er...get him the fuck out of that ballpark in Oakland and he'd be a solid Corner OF'er...might be the best defensive RF'er in baseball.

Not all prospects that are "highly touted" go on to be HOF'ers...getting a Josh Reddick type of player for pennies his 1st 6 years saves a team probably 15-20m they'd have to spend to sign a quality 4th OF'er in free agency. If you look it that way, it's money that gets redistributed elsewhere...so he has value of the tangible type...

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine something so idiotic as "Mo deserved it for his 1 clean inning, but Chris Sale didn't with his 2 clean innings"

It was a lifetime achievement award...I get it...so does rock...so does everyone outside of NYC...

that doesn't make him the MVP of that game...which is all I think Rock was trying to get at....

Me? I didn't even watch the game (never do), and couldn't give 2 fucks who won the fake MVP award to a fake baseball game...

Don't tell me what rock is trying to get at.

It was a lifetime ach award, never ever dis-agreed. We know that here in NY

What we also know that you idiots don't

If there was no clear cut MVP in that game, Mo was gonna get it

He would not have gotten it if someone 3-4 with 3 Ribbies. Or a pitcher that went 4 shutout

In that case, I would understand the usual Boston whining

"Manny Machado made a great defensive play, MVP"

Idiots

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under this ownership group? Accurate. Prior? Couldn't be further from the truth...they were terrible at it, which is why I think the O's long term success is suspect...Duquette never showed he could build through a farm system here...

Rule 4 draft? Provbably not. Never was great...

Ya don't think he can't find decent things on the international Market?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lowrie's been a good player. When healthy. Same with Buchholz.

Reddick batted .242/.305/.463 (111 OPS+) last year while providing GG defense.

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell me what rock is trying to get at.

It was a lifetime ach award, never ever dis-agreed. We know that here in NY

What we also know that you idiots don't

If there was no clear cut MVP in that game, Mo was gonna get it

He would not have gotten it if someone 3-4 with 3 Ribbies. Or a pitcher that went 4 shutout

In that case, I would understand the usual Boston whining

"Manny Machado made a great defensive play, MVP"

Idiots

Chris Sale in my book was the MVP going two innings and striking out a couple of the NL stars.

MO's was a charity good bye gift like it or not.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, and I still can't believe you tards are arguing about ASG MVP. It's meaningless.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Nathan got the save. He should have been MVP. I mean saves are a really really important stat. Right guise?

Not at all

Boston is on it's 37th closer

If they miss out on the postseason, their in-ability to close out games would be a good bet as the main reason

Not important at all

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be awesome if we can get some more Boston Ballwashers in here

I'm still waiting for you to explain how Tillman was more deserving than Kuroda.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of the links has a time lapse video showing an ant being overtaken by the fungus

its cool...it has mind control properties, forcing its host to painstakingly "zombie walk" to a spot thats best for the fungus to thrive, before the host dies

like a wife:laugh3:

God help us if it infects humans...

Brainslug.jpg

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Later on and have a great W/E if I don't post anymore today.

Heading from home this time for day two of the job fair.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a lot of major leaguers since 2009

Rankings History* |* SoxProspects.com

From the 2009 list, they have 7 of the 20 making some level of impact in the majors...Iglesias, Dubrount Tazawa and Rizzo being the headliners...

2 of the guys there were flipped for Adrian Gonzalez...

So not a total bust...and I often wonder what type of player Ryan Westmoreland was on track to becoming...tragic...he had the talent to complete turn this argument into a laugher...

They were thin there for a bit, after trades for guys like V-mart and forfeiting 1st rounders for FA signings, they had quality, but it was all buried in the lower levels. Some of which we're starting to see emerge now.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, and I still can't believe you tards are arguing about ASG MVP. It's meaningless.

Most important award in American Sports in Boston
When a player from NY wins it

I could give a shit