• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Angels And Cards Swap Peter Bourjos & David Freese

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood panned out.

In all seriousness, I knew Wood's been bad in the majors, but I didn't realize he had an OPS+ of 6 one year. And that was in 243 PA in 2010.

Zing and double Zing!

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood panned out.

In all seriousness, I knew Wood's been bad in the majors, but I didn't realize he had an OPS+ of 6 one year. And that was in 243 PA in 2010.

Wood, McPherson and now both of the ones they have in the minors...even the kid they brought up for test last season hit well in the minors...I cringe if I see an Angels 3b prospect on top lists...and I never draft any of them..not a chance. It sorta getting funny.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade also involved Salas and Randal Grichuk.

Angels are rolling the dice, imo. They probably figure that there is a good chance that Freese, a streaky hitter, could just use a change of scenery. There is some Chris Davis upside there in the Freese played for his home team and maybe that put unneeded pressure on him.

But the Cardinals definitely get the better long view talent. A prospect they can develop and a younger player in the outfield.

I doubt pressure has anything to do with David Freese struggling this season in STL - he got big hits in the biggest stage of all of baseball, in the World Series, so how was the pressure really on him? If he can get hits in that stage, there shouldn't be any pressure on him because he knows what it takes when it matters the most

The issue was that he was not healthy in 2013 and that affected him on both sides, offensively and defensively

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt pressure has anything to do with David Freese struggling this season in STL - he got big hits in the biggest stage of all of baseball, in the World Series, so how was the pressure really on him? If he can get hits in that stage, there shouldn't be any pressure on him because he knows what it takes when it matters the most
Eh...he was Harry Potter in STL. Its hard to explain but I do think there is a psychological element to his play. Certainly the injuries are a factor, too, and that still makes it a boom/bust type of deal for the Angels

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great trade for the Cardinals. I don't think David Freese will recapture his 2011 form.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this could be a steal for the Angels. Bourjos is a great defender, but he can't hit.

Agreed, Freese is a very good 3B, proved so in the playoffs and is a clutch hitter. Bourjos gives them good speed on the base paths and good defense, but not to great a hitter.

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this could be a steal for the Angels. Bourjos is a great defender, but he can't hit.

I see it more of a steal for the Cards than Angels. Don't foul yourself Bourgos can hit. He's very possibly the best defensive CF in the game. Cards fans will be impressed with what Bourgos can do. I'm not a big fan of players who spend most of their time on the DL and freeze fits into that category. Although to be fair Bourgos has as well but his problems aren't cronic like Freeze's.

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels should have been looking for pitching for Bourjos - their rotation isn't very good after the top two and Vargas left for KC so they need to replace him - they should have called the Phillies for Kyle Kendrick - a Bourjos for Kyle Kendrick + deal would have worked - maybe even straight up if the Angels really wanted pitching bad

Now that trade would definitly have made more sense than trading for Freeze. Just goes to verify my opinion that the Angels front office is run by idiots.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost feel like I have to adopt the Angels as my AL team for the next year or two. At least for casual viewing

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give them time, and a chance to shop Mark Trumbo further......

They'd be very foulish to trade Trumbo. If they move another outfielder it would most likely be JB Shuck or Cole Calhoun. Both had very impresive rookie seasons. They would more than likely package one of them with another player, probably a reliever, for SP. Don't be surprised if Howie Kendricks name is mentioned in a trade.

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that bourjos is anything special, but i just dont think freese is a good fit in anaheim... Getting rid of bourjos is not going to hurt the angels, but i just dont think freese was the answer...

No he isn't! The Angels need to use their bullets much more wisely.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manuel Morales ‏@MannyJoose 5h
Finally, since Glaus, going through hitters like Dallas McPherson, Brandon Wood & Rob Quinlan. We finally got a power threat coming from 3B

Career .141 ISO = "power threat"

Lol.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a bit player for a bit player....nobody "wins" this trade, its just a positional trade, nothing more.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bourjos was a pain on the bases, as an anti-angels fan I love this move. I don't think Freese will meet your expectations. We will see though... If you know me from espn I always used to call this kind of stuff and most of the time I got it right. I think Bourjos is going to thrive in St. Louis and the Angels will regret trading him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got negged for liking Pujols and Freese. Kids these days.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it more of a steal for the Cards than Angels. Don't foul yourself Bourgos can hit. He's very possibly the best defensive CF in the game. Cards fans will be impressed with what Bourgos can do. I'm not a big fan of players who spend most of their time on the DL and freeze fits into that category. Although to be fair Bourgos has as well but his problems aren't cronic like Freeze's.

I don't care how good Bourjos is defensively. He CAN'T hit.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how good Bourjos is defensively. He CAN'T hit.

He's about an average hitter, evidenced by his 98 career OPS+....you're acting as if he's among the worst hitters in baseball, which he's not. He's certainly better than you're making him out to be.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
freese is better than what they had for the last 3 years or whats in the minors...their planned 3b prospect had a rough year last year.

I heard that Salas went also...seems like Angels have much more upside out of the deal.

Apparently, you haven't seen Salas pitch lately.

Bourjos will not platoon with Jay, he will replace Jay. And if someone has the balls to say that Freese will have a break-out year with the Angels, I can say the same about Bourjos in STL. The missing part is Randal Gruchik also coming to STL. A 22 yr old outfielder who hit 22 homers in AA last year. Mo made a heck of a deal.