• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Angels And Cards Swap Peter Bourjos & David Freese

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see if anyone else is involved

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spare for spare. Will Moreno give Freese a 100M contract?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting deal for both sides, Bourjos makes sense as a platoon partner for Jay in CF. Freese might be a 4 win player like two years ago, or might suck like last year, maybe somewhere in between.

Good baseball trade.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels should have been looking for pitching for Bourjos - their rotation isn't very good after the top two and Vargas left for KC so they need to replace him - they should have called the Phillies for Kyle Kendrick - a Bourjos for Kyle Kendrick + deal would have worked - maybe even straight up if the Angels really wanted pitching bad

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this swap makes no sense for the angels... need that explained to me... David freese was the worst defensive 3B in baseball(yes he was even worse than MIggy) the angels already have the offensive bats with power, and little average(trumbo,hamilton??) and pujols is still an above average bat... so where does Freese help?? i am sure bourjos and freese both dont make much money... Was the whole getting rid of bourjos to show trout they have his back??

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this ends up as a better deal for the Angels. Freese will have a breakout season. Watch.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this ends up as a better deal for the Angels. Freese will have a breakout season. Watch.

Maybe, but there are some big pitchers he will be facing and in a home park that is known for slow starts. Yu, Felix, and the A's.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this swap makes no sense for the angels... need that explained to me... David freese was the worst defensive 3B in baseball(yes he was even worse than MIggy) the angels already have the offensive bats with power, and little average(trumbo,hamilton??) and pujols is still an above average bat... so where does Freese help?? i am sure bourjos and freese both dont make much money... Was the whole getting rid of bourjos to show trout they have his back??

Yeah, Freese does fit perfectly with their team philosophy as far as position players, unathletic with a lot of power.

Freese had a rough year last year defensively, not sure I buy he was that bad defensively after being decent the previous few years.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels should have been looking for pitching for Bourjos - their rotation isn't very good after the top two and Vargas left for KC so they need to replace him - they should have called the Phillies for Kyle Kendrick - a Bourjos for Kyle Kendrick + deal would have worked - maybe even straight up if the Angels really wanted pitching bad

There was an article this morning on a Boston site abot the same thing. The Sox have a plethora of pitching and need a back-up OF. They were saying it was a perfect match...

Very strange deal for A's...

Red Sox Trade Target: Peter Bourjos - Over the Monster

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Angels had a surplus of OF talent, and, this way, they can move Trout back to CF without ruffling a teammates feathers, so to speak.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess, but Kendrick isn't much, he's a #5 on a good team. Jeff Neimann is out there, all you have to do is pay him.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Give them time, and a chance to shop Mark Trumbo further......

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting deal for both sides, Bourjos makes sense as a platoon partner for Jay in CF. Freese might be a 4 win player like two years ago, or might suck like last year, maybe somewhere in between.

Good baseball trade.

I myself am hearing some rumblings that Bourjos may in fact fully replace Jay. We shall see. Maybe this was just a knee-jerk reaction and comment based on Jay's poor post season play?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that bourjos is anything special, but i just dont think freese is a good fit in anaheim... Getting rid of bourjos is not going to hurt the angels, but i just dont think freese was the answer...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I myself am hearing some rumblings that Bourjos may in fact fully replace Jay. We shall see. Maybe this was just a knee-jerk reaction and comment based on Jay's poor post season play?

That would be strange, Bourjos is nothing special as a player, and they have perfect platoon split between two guys whose skill sets are fairly different, one OBP and a good hitter, who is an underwhelming defender, the other is a underwhelming hitter who can be a late inning base stealer/defensive replacement.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
freese is better than what they had for the last 3 years or whats in the minors...their planned 3b prospect had a rough year last year.

I heard that Salas went also...seems like Angels have much more upside out of the deal.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty even trade (at least with the main pieces) in my opinion. I think the Cards were opening up a spot in the IF for Wong too. Need to do some shifting. Who is going to be their RF though, assuming Beltran is gone?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
freese is better than what they had for the last 3 years or whats in the minors...their planned 3b prospect had a rogh year last year.

I heard that Salas went also...seems like Angels have much more upside out of the deal.

Good thing Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood panned out.

In all seriousness, I knew Wood's been bad in the majors, but I didn't realize he had an OPS+ of 6 one year. And that was in 243 PA in 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade also involved Salas and Randal Grichuk.

Angels are rolling the dice, imo. They probably figure that there is a good chance that Freese, a streaky hitter, could just use a change of scenery. There is some Chris Davis upside there in the Freese played for his home team and maybe that put unneeded pressure on him.

But the Cardinals definitely get the better long view talent. A prospect they can develop and a younger player in the outfield.