• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck for Patrick Willis trade?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, who called into KNBR? This thread is being discussed right now.

OK, not this thread SPECIFICALLY, but this EXACT topic (Willis for Luck)

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OK, who called into KNBR? This thread is being discussed right now.

OK, not this thread SPECIFICALLY, but this EXACT topic (Willis for Luck)

Thats probably because that is the only way the Niners could get Luck without destroying the franchise for the future by giving up so many draft picks like other teams are about to do.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And of course Fitz, who is barely through telling us for the 500th time that the Niners are IDIOTS for not getting McNabb, has moved onto the next breathless, hyperbolic predictions.

There are a lot of things that kill me about this whole idea - not that trading for Luck is all that crazy - but this whole thing about the QB just never goes away. Why do people want to sacrifice so much for this one position that is not even really hurting us that badly? Trading an HOF-lock LB is one thing, but now talking about throwing in multiple first draft picks...which is what most people assume would be the case....and suddenly your opportunity cost for Luck is just extraordinary.

All this because of HYPE - not actual probability of his success, because not a single person talking about it is truly qualified to say that Luck will be that much better than the next best QB prospects. Like with most things football, people are just repeating what they've heard others say, getting more and more excited about the player not because of performance, but because of media hype and the promise of unlimited potential, vs. even a megastud like Willis who at least has limitations we're aware of......with a guy like Luck you can project him to be as good as Manning, Montana, whatever....his potential is only limited by your imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course Fitz, who is barely through telling us for the 500th time that the Niners are IDIOTS for not getting McNabb, has moved onto the next breathless, hyperbolic predictions.

There are a lot of things that kill me about this whole idea - not that trading for Luck is all that crazy - but this whole thing about the QB just never goes away. Why do people want to sacrifice so much for this one position that is not even really hurting us that badly? Trading an HOF-lock LB is one thing, but now talking about throwing in multiple first draft picks...which is what most people assume would be the case....and suddenly your opportunity cost for Luck is just extraordinary.

All this because of HYPE - not actual probability of his success, because not a single person talking about it is truly qualified to say that Luck will be that much better than the next best QB prospects. Like with most things football, people are just repeating what they've heard others say, getting more and more excited about the player not because of performance, but because of media hype and the promise of unlimited potential, vs. even a megastud like Willis who at least has limitations we're aware of......with a guy like Luck you can project him to be as good as Manning, Montana, whatever....his potential is only limited by your imagination.

We are talkin' about Hype here.

Not performance. Not performance. Not performance. Hype.

We are talkin' about Hype here.

Sorry, your post just SCREAMED this to me :)

I agree, though...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lets be clear, the way it stands now we will NOT get Luck. to start with, our draft slot is far too low.

if its called hype, then so be it. every year prospects get hyped, but not a QB and not to where he's one of the best in history. not best in the next draft class, but in HISTORY.

funny how the far majority wishes we had a passing attack like the Packers, Patriots, and Saints. but when its time to get that franchise QB, we turn conservative? you have no hope for an 'explosive' passing attack without that QB, its a QB driven league for a reason.

as the trend to the pass continues, we'll KEEP wishing we had a franchise QB.

now........'unproven' IS a valid argument no doubt, but in THIS case what are the chances he succeeds? do you go with the 2% he busts or the 98% he succeeds?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll say it right out - Luck seems to me like a better version of Alex Smith. When I've watched - seen him play about 4 times, so this is just an impression - I don't feel like I was watching anything like Elway or Michael Vick in college, just this dominant presence that overshadows everything else on the field. He's a very good QB, but I don't see where people are getting this Peyton Manning stuff.

And yeah, this is probably partly my Devil's Advocate stuff talking......most people much smarter and better-informed than me say he's great....I just don't believe anything in this pre-draft coverage, the best guys get things hugely wrong every year, and somehow almost "everyone" gets those same things wrong, because its mostly a small number of opinion-makers driving conventional wisdom, from which everyone else gets their opinions.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And you do have to say that my Blaine Gabbert also = Alex Smith impression was right on in last year's draft. Those guys are spitting images.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lets be clear, the way it stands now we will NOT get Luck. to start with, our draft slot is far too low.

if its called hype, then so be it. every year prospects get hyped, but not a QB and not to where he's one of the best in history. not best in the next draft class, but in HISTORY.

funny how the far majority wishes we had a passing attack like the Packers, Patriots, and Saints. but when its time to get that franchise QB, we turn conservative? you have no hope for an 'explosive' passing attack without that QB, its a QB driven league for a reason.

as the trend to the pass continues, we'll KEEP wishing we had a franchise QB.

now........'unproven' IS a valid argument no doubt, but in THIS case what are the chances he succeeds? do you go with the 2% he busts or the 98% he succeeds?

The Niners don't need Luck, although who would know better how to use him than Harbaugh. They'll re-sign Smith and maybe bring in another veteran QB.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You talkin' about that Goldson guy who is going to the Pro Bowl? Is that the Goldson you are talking about? Ha ha. Put the shovel down Jim Bob. Quit while you at least can pretend to have some dignity left.

Interesting...and still at the pubescent insults...and an innate ability to willfully stay off topic to avoid being wrong...are you a progressive?

And that is the only point you address??? Goldson got burned when he thought he could pick Fitz, instead Fitz took it for six a game changer on that single play. On the other hand Grant had the game winning strip against Seattle quite a contrast don't you think?

Are you just angry because you constantly get called out?

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting...and still at the pubescent insults...and an innate ability to willfully stay off topic to avoid being wrong...are you a progressive?

And that is the only point you address??? Goldson got burned when he thought he could pick Fitz, instead Fitz took it for six a game changer on that single play. On the other hand Grant had the game winning strip against Seattle quite a contrast don't you think?

Are you just angry because you constantly get called out?

He certainly did but that had absolutely nothing to do with his poor underneath coverage in Arizona which directly led to three touchdowns.

Called out? Wasn't that what happened to you? You come back with the old "I know you are but what am I" routine huh? Perfect! Talk about juvenile. Put the shovel down Jim Bob.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Lewis led a defense that got Trent Dilfer a ring. Peyton is supposedly a great Qb but with his average defense and his... not stellar play in the playoffs he has one ring so Rays Ravens have been contenders every year and until recently with such studs as trent Dilfer and Kent Boller at QB so Great Defense + average qb= 1 ring Great QB +average defense = 1 ring... Seems to me... Great Defense led by P Willie+ average QB could = Ring. Thus I would Keep Willis and examine opportunities at Qb as they arise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He certainly did but that had absolutely nothing to do with his poor underneath coverage in Arizona which directly led to three touchdowns.

Called out? Wasn't that what happened to you? You come back with the old "I know you are but what am I" routine huh? Perfect! Talk about juvenile. Put the shovel down Jim Bob.

No.

Where??? Now this is friggin childish, seriously...go back and look at my FIRST reply to you...how freaking sophomoric you are, perhaps the best example of a hypocrit on the board. Amazing...

His coverage only directly led to ONE TD (Doucet)...not three, Fitz' TD was all Goldson. And Roberts TD was a screen where Grant was on his assignment Rogers did not come up to cover, then he and Brooks missed the tackle. Grant was trying to shed a block to come up and make the tackle. That was on Rogers and Brooks.

Skelton throws third TD of the day - Football Videos

And to get this BACK on topic which you can't seem to do, without arguing a sidebar, in the hypothetical trade of Willis for Luck, Grant is an acceptable replacement (for the time being) who is very good in run defense, solid in pass rush, and could be better in coverage...but one game does not make a problem.

:caked:

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No.

Where??? Now this is friggin childish, seriously...go back and look at my FIRST reply to you...how freaking sophomoric you are, perhaps the best example of a hypocrit on the board. Amazing...

His coverage only directly led to ONE TD (Doucet)...not three, Fitz' TD was all Goldson. And Roberts TD was a screen where Grant was on his assignment Rogers did not come up to cover, then he and Brooks missed the tackle. Grant was trying to shed a block to come up and make the tackle. That was on Rogers and Brooks.

Skelton throws third TD of the day - Football Videos

And to get this BACK on topic which you can't seem to do, without arguing a sidebar, in the hypothetical trade of Willis for Luck, Grant is an acceptable replacement (for the time being) who is very good in run defense, solid in pass rush, and could be better in coverage...but one game does not make a problem.

:caked:

Like I did with my children when they got into a childish fit of pique like you have, I'll just let you have the last word. You bore me Jim Bob.