• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And the new coach @ Oregon is....

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(16-20) at WKU with a loss in his one bowl game, no conference titles
(24-25) at USF with a loss in his one bowl game, no conference titles
18 of his 21 years as a player or coach was spent in the southeast region not the west coast.

I am trying to see the upsides.
Oregon is not going to be content rebuilding. They want a winner now.

Now admittedly winning big at a lower level can get you Charlie Strong or Al Golden.
But, on paper this looks like someone that lesser P5 teams like Iowa State or Wake Forest would be chasing.
This guy was interested in the job...

:les:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it im not over the moon for it though. I feel like he will be Oregon's Sark. get them back up have some 8, 9 win seasons maybe contend for the conference here and there but stay right there.
then lets move on right now.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an intersting hire. Big emphasis on offense kind of guy so that works for what Duck fans expect. I'll be interested to see what his final staff looks like. He cant really be judged by this recruit class, but he'll have to show big improvement by next years which will be a true test of can he recruit for a P5 program.
They said Petersen wouldnt be able to and he proved everyone wrong. Taggert will have to earn that cred as well. Expect him to bring in some staff that know the west coast recruit pipelines.

I hope he brings a couple with him that keep roads to Florida too though

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then lets move on right now.
As someone who lived during Brooks and Bellotti getting things back to winning is what needs to happen now before anything the win now mentality is whats wrong with the fans and why Helf was fired prematurely.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who lived during Brooks and Bellotti getting things back to winning is what needs to happen now before anything the win now mentality is whats wrong with the fans and why Helf was fired prematurely.
I'm OK with the Taggart hire, he seems like a good guy, has a tough mentality and personality, will hold players accountable, but if I knew this was who we were going to hire, I'd say keep Helfrich one more season to see if he could turn things around.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with the Taggart hire, he seems like a good guy, has a tough mentality and personality, will hold players accountable, but if I knew this was who we were going to hire, I'd say keep Helfrich one more season to see if he could turn things around.
they should have no matter what. 1 losing season is a knee jerk reaction

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, WTF, what was the purpose of giving Helfrich that giant expensive contract extension? It wasn't to keep him around....Helfrich's dream job was Oregon, he wasn't going anywhere!

So instead of giving him a fat extension, just bump his incentives up. :L

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave him that huge contract extension on a knee jerk reaction too.
the extension was based on 2 good season that culminated in a Rose Bowl win and then playing for the NC. less of a knee jerk than 1 losing season.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a couple of years USF fans were sharpening pitchforks and wrapping torches to run Taggart out of town. Now they're sad to see him go. USF was rewarded for patience with 2 solid seasons, a run at the conference title this year and what seems to be a clean, respectable program. I heard Tony Dungy talking about him last year and he said he has greatness in him. We'll see. But I think he's a good hire for Oregon and he'll be missed around here.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average USF game score this year: 44-31. He'll fit right in.
Pithy, but my concern as well. But I think he will hold the players more accountable and should get a bit more from the defense.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought for sure they'd make a play for Bryan Harsin of Boise St.
I was wondering why they didn't at least talk to him. But some alumni I know tell me that UO didn't think he was ready for the job.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God Damn it, that means Washington only hangs 60 on them next year.....
Tell you what... Wanna bet $100 on that? Seriously. We can have a go-between who the loser will give their money to and they can pass it along to the winner.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taggart actually should be a good hire for Oregon

Skip Holtz struggled at South Florida before Taggart got there and he inherited a mess of a roster when he got there, it showed in the opener when they got boatraced by McNeese State.

He made some changes last year and they sure saw the results, I think this past year was South Florida's best year, unfortately Tom Allen their defensive coordinator the year before left for Indiana and he defense took a huge dip. If it hadn't South Florida could have gone undefeated this year

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taggart actually should be a good hire for Oregon

Skip Holtz struggled at South Florida before Taggart got there and he inherited a mess of a roster when he got there, it showed in the opener when they got boatraced by McNeese State.

He made some changes last year and they sure saw the results, I think this past year was South Florida's best year, unfortately Tom Allen their defensive coordinator the year before left for Indiana and he defense took a huge dip. If it hadn't South Florida could have gone undefeated this year

So I wonder who is DC will be? They will need to be very solid with this mess of a defense.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I wonder who is DC will be? They will need to be very solid with this mess of a defense.

That will be interesting. Probably someone with experience on the West coast.

Taggart might find immediate success on the offense but your defense is going to take years to fix, your defense just doesn't have any talent right now

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taggart might find immediate success on the offense but your defense is going to take years to fix, your defense just doesn't have any talent right now

Well, the offense is already in plenty good shape. So he will have little tinkering to do. I agree about the defense. I don't expect much next year. But maybe the following when all those freshman we started will be juniors. But their fundamentals are terrible. A whole lot of coaching needs to happen.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the offense is already in plenty good shape. So he will have little tinkering to do. I agree about the defense. I don't expect much next year. But maybe the following when all those freshman we started will be juniors. But their fundamentals are terrible. A whole lot of coaching needs to happen.

He will eventually try to get some more power on the offensive line but yes your offense should be capable of scoring points. Stopping teams will be another story

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UW's defense under Holt was fucking terrible. Just terrible. Next year after they brought in Wilcox they shot up immediately. Not top of the Pac good, but massively better none the less.

Oregon doesn't entirely lack talent, they lack discipline and technique. They have had bad coaching on that side since Aliotti retired. And it shows. They bring in the right guys not only at DC, but particularly those position coaches, and they can get competent fairly quickly. I mean really good? No, that will take time and a cycle or two, but they can vastly improve from day one. We have seen a few examples of that.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting here watching YouTube clips of Chip interviews before kick offs has gotten me so pumped and jazzed.

What a great time that was. You can just hear and feel the intensity when he spoke. You knew he had the team prepared.
:lol:
:rofl: