• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And the Chris Petersen Era begins!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the Hawaii bowl is completed, Bob Gregory who was acting as the Boise St. interim coach should be arriving to assume LB coach duties at UW this week.

For some odd reason I thought Petersen was gonna coach the Broncos in their Bowl game? I must of misread that....

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some odd reason I thought Petersen was gonna coach the Broncos in their Bowl game? I must of misread that....

No, he left the school and joined our staff the day after he signed his MOU and has been on the recruiting and staff building phases since then. You can't do either of those if you are still running another team. Preparing for a bowl game is a full time job in itself.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that early this coming week, USC will announce that Wilcox will be their DC and Tui is headed there as well to coach TE's and probably assist with QB coaching duties, even though USC's OC Clay Helton will be listed as the official QB coach.

UW has not made an official announcement of the final Petersen staff, but that should be coming by the end of this week. But starting tomorrow, Dec 30th, the coaches that have been announced as joining Petersen's staff will be starting work officially.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marques Tuiasosopo accepts offer to coach tight ends at USC | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times

Yeah, I'm sure we are all sad to see Tui leave, but we understand what it can do for his career and he obviously felt closer to Sark than to Petersen and what he was bringing here.

So the only remaining coaches that we do not know about are our OC and Lupoi? Looks like a wholesale housecleaning. Not complaining. This happens with these kinds of changes. Just makes it harder on the kids who now have a lot of changes to deal with going into spring.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is sad to see Tui go, but I'm just glad to hear he got a gig and can continue building his career. He'll always be a Dawg legend.

Petersen is building his own crew. Wish Tui could of stuck around, but so be it. New era at Montlake and lots of work to do as we have a month to land about 10 more recruits. Lots of pavement to pound in Jan. Excited for the future.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is sad to see Tui go, but I'm just glad to hear he got a gig and can continue building his career. He'll always be a Dawg legend.

Sometimes this break ups can lead you right back to where it all started. This is good he's going down there, he'll see another program, and gain experience, might move on from there with another program, bottomline, he's gain more and more experience, if the day would come that Petersen moves on, Tui should/would be on the Dawgs hire radar, I think he would come back in a heart beat....

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Adam Jude -- Boise State quarterbacks coach Jonathan Smith will join Chris Petersen‘s staff at Washington.
That would seem to put into question Marques Tuiasosopo‘s future with the Huskies. The source said Tuiasosopo would prefer to continue to coach quarterbacks, and after the Fight Hunger Bowl, that position will no longer be available at UW.

Here’s how the pieces for UW’s new staff appear to be coming together under Petersen, based on sources and various reports:

Offense:
Jonathan Smith, quarterbacks
Brent Pease, wide receivers
Keith Bhonapha, running backs/recruiting coordinator
Chris Strausser, offensive line

Defense:
Pete Kwiatkowski, defensive coordinator
Bob Gregory, linebackers
Jimmy Lake, secondary
That’s seven assistants (with their Boise State positions listed above), which leaves room for two more.

Pease was let go as Florida’s offensive coordinator earlier this month, and he will reportedly come to UW to coach wide receivers.
It’s unclear who the coordinators will be, or who will coach the defensive line, tight ends and special teams (or if the Boise assistants will take on new roles).

Footballscoop is also reporting that Fresno State's current Director of Football Operations Mike McHugh will be joining Petersens staff in the same role.

Thanks Regent, its good to come over here and get updates... keep up the good work.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the SeattleTimes:

Chris Petersen‘s new coaching staff at Washington includes eight assistants who worked with him at Boise State, plus his strength and coaching coach there.

Tosh Lupoi, UW’s defensive line coach the past two seasons, will not be part of the 2014 staff and “has been reassigned to other duties within the athletic department” after allegations surfaced earlier this month that he paid for a recruit’s tutoring. Lupoi is under contract with UW through Feb. 6, 2015. UW would owe Lupoi $700,000 until Jan. 13, 2014 if he is “terminated without cause”; the payment drops to $350,000 if he is terminated between Jan. 14, 2014 and Feb. 6, 2015.

The new UW staff:

Offense:
Jonathan Smith, coordinator/quarterbacks
Brent Pease, wide receivers
Keith Bhonapha, running backs/recruiting coordinator
Chris Strausser, associate head coach/offensive line

Defense:
Pete Kwiatkowski, coordinator
Bob Gregory, linebackers
Jimmy Lake, secondary
Jeff Choate, defensive line/special teams

Petersen hopes to name a tight ends coach “within the week,” per the UW press release. A UW spokesman said salary figures for the new assistants would not be immediately available.

Also, Tim Socha follows Petersen from Boise State to be the new strength and conditioning coach at UW. Tacoma native Rich Rasmussen has been named the director of player personnel and Mike McHugh comes from Fresno State to be the director of football operations.

Damon Huard will remain chief administrative officer for the football program.

“I’m thrilled to welcome this talented group of coaches to Washington,” Petersen said in a statement. “They bring with them both a wealth of experience, and an understanding of what we want to accomplish here and how to get it done.”

UW is “working to determine media availability for” Petersen and the new assistant coaching in the coming weeks.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Lupoi has been 'reassigned' within the department. Would appear they want to hold off on firing him until after Jan14th when it will cost them half as much to send him packing? :noidea:

We now have all of his positions outside of TE coach and I didn't see any surprises.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Choate is a great get as special teams coordinator. Although I'll be in wait and see mode over his work as a recruiter/coach for the Dline. He's got plenty of great experience at ST, but as a position coach, he's almost always worked with linebackers.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to see Tui leaving. I have to wonder if Petersen did not offer him a job on the staff because I believe with his connections to UW he would have stayed if offered the job.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to see Tui leaving. I have to wonder if Petersen did not offer him a job on the staff because I believe with his connections to UW he would have stayed if offered the job.

This whole thing sounds like a weird situation. I had heard it reported that he was offered the TE job here, which is what he took at USC. Who knows what the deal is...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing sounds like a weird situation. I had heard it reported that he was offered the TE job here, which is what he took at USC. Who knows what the deal is...

:nod:

He was offered the same position at both schools and decided to go to USC. I'm sure had he been offered the QB coach job here he would have taken that over the TE job with Sark, but at the end of the day he must have decided his career path moving forward would likely be on a faster track there than here.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man wallace.

Sark convinced former UW star QB Marcus Tuiasasopo to leave his alma mater where he was offered a job as TE coach to go to USC for the same role by also naming him associate head coach.

Meanwhile we are left with nothing but Jonathan Smith as our QB's coach and offensive coordinator.

So we lost a good UW coach for a former Oregon State player. :L

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man wallace.

Sark convinced former UW star QB Marcus Tuiasasopo to leave his alma mater where he was offered a job as TE coach to go to USC for the same role by also naming him associate head coach.

Meanwhile we are left with nothing but Jonathan Smith as our QB's coach and offensive coordinator.

So we lost a good UW coach for a former Oregon State player.
:L

THAT boy won a Fiesta Bowl for us, I'll trade you our "Conditioning Coach" and a future nobody, PLUS an undisclosed amount of pocket change for JS back to where he belongs.

Point is: Sounds like UWub is being broken apart like a Corporation and sold off to the highest bidder (USC). Coach P is gonna need 3 years to turn UWub around again Whiz...Be patient with the precious soul of a human being ya got there.

He is one of the best and may need time to get the right coaching staff together again.:gaah::whistle:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His staff is pretty much the same guys he had at Boise State. Hard to say whether most/all of them are really Pac worthy or not. The only thing that worries me about them even a little is their collective inexperience at recruiting AQ talent across the Pac realm. I'm sure they are all fine coaches and will do a lot with what they have.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is why Tui would leave UW for USC....

Marques Tuiasosopo named ?associate head coach? at USC | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times

Well played Sark... well played (you asshole!) :gaah:

That definitely sheds some light on why he left. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't leave to go join Sark for all of King Mitas's silver.... Oh well, I guess that's easy to say when I don't have a career to worry about. Good luck to him, maybe he'll end up back here in the future.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That definitely sheds some light on why he left. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't leave to go join Sark for all of King Mitas's silver.... Oh well, I guess that's easy to say when I don't have a career to worry about. Good luck to him, maybe he'll end up back here in the future.

It adds two more coaching positions to his resume, nothing wrong with it and I can understand why he took the offer down there, he doesn't want to be a position coach the rest of his life, the guy is gunning for a head coaching job....