• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An early look at free agents 2014

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's a list of players I think would be good fits for the Niners in 2014:

tumbleweedp.jpg

I was hpoing to see some big names at WR or CB, but it doesn't look like there will be nearly as many as this offseason.

The Niners have some picks with which to move up in next year's draft if they want to get a guy like Lee, Watkins or one of the highly touted CBs, but FA looks like slim pickin's.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I may be in the minority here but it seems to me that Gore has 3 good years left in him ('13-'15). The way he played last year it didn't seem like a guy who lost a step. But let's assume that he regresses in 2013 and coaches have determined that Lattimore's leg is not gaining enough strength as they thought it would for him to be his old dominant self. Under these circumstances, I wouldn't mind making an offer to MJD (he may give us a discount coming back to Cali).

If we lose Crabs, I would look into Hakeem Nicks. But honestly due to injury issues, I'd probably prefer to keep Crabs instead as opposed to giving that money to Nicks.

The player I want the most next year from free agency is Everson Griffen. I would not sign Brooks, Rogers, Mario, and use that money on a player like Griffen. He and Aldon would be unfair.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would not sign Brooks, Rogers, Mario, and use that money on a player like Griffen. He and Aldon would be unfair.

Brooks is signed through 2017.

I'd love to get another great pass rusher opposite Aldon like what the Steelers had with Woodley & Harrison; I'm really hoping Lemonier is that guy. But I'd be open to signing Griffen either way; the Niners would probably have to trade Brooks in that case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority here but it seems to me that Gore has 3 good years left in him ('13-'15). The way he played last year it didn't seem like a guy who lost a step. But let's assume that he regresses in 2013 and coaches have determined that Lattimore's leg is not gaining enough strength as they thought it would for him to be his old dominant self. Under these circumstances, I wouldn't mind making an offer to MJD (he may give us a discount coming back to Cali).

If we lose Crabs, I would look into Hakeem Nicks. But honestly due to injury issues, I'd probably prefer to keep Crabs instead as opposed to giving that money to Nicks.

The player I want the most next year from free agency is Everson Griffen. I would not sign Brooks, Rogers, Mario, and use that money on a player like Griffen. He and Aldon would be unfair.

The thing with running backs is that one day they look good, the next their knees have taken too many hits and they are no even decent. It happens all of a sudden too so I would not go making any wagers on him lasting here through next year even. 30 years old is a lot for a rb. Especially one who trucked people a lot early on and takes a bunch of big hits and had 2 major knee surgeries and a broken hip.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The thing with running backs is that one day they look good, the next their knees have taken too many hits and they are no even decent. It happens all of a sudden too so I would not go making any wagers on him lasting here through next year even. 30 years old is a lot for a rb. Especially one who trucked people a lot early on and takes a bunch of big hits and had 2 major knee surgeries and a broken hip.

That's what I'm sure Baalke would use towards his agent as part of the negotiations tactic. Only a team who is in contention of making it to the SB would pursue him and offer him $$$. A team like the Jets per se wouldn't do that move. Being 30, injury history, etc. is not ignored during contract negotiations.

Anyway, if we opted not to pursue him, I wouldn't be disappointed. My number 1 target for the rb position next year is Isaiah Crowell.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Maclin a FA in 2014?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our coin should be spent on keeping the crew.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I dont think we will make any larger moves on players from other teams with who we have coming up on contracts..

Priority #1--kaep
Priority #2--Aldon
Priority #3--Iupati
Priority #4--Boone
Priority #5--Crabbers

actually not as bad as I was thinking.. I thought I remember going through this a couple months ago and having like 8-10 ppl.. I bet it was before FA and I was expecting to put a priority on Anthony Davis and Goldson and Vernon Davis before Crabbers..

I don't expect Vernon Davis to get another large contract, hopefully an extension if we deem necessary that starts to lower his cap number.

I would hope we REALLY put a premium on resigning Aldon and Kaep before the season..(and then go win the SB) This would really put us in a good position if we could secure them both before they have all the accolades AND a SB ring(see: Flacco, Joe)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont think we will make any larger moves on players from other teams with who we have coming up on contracts..

Priority #1--kaep
Priority #2--Aldon
Priority #3--Iupati
Priority #4--Boone
Priority #5--Crabbers

actually not as bad as I was thinking.. I thought I remember going through this a couple months ago and having like 8-10 ppl.. I bet it was before FA and I was expecting to put a priority on Anthony Davis and Goldson and Vernon Davis before Crabbers..

I don't expect Vernon Davis to get another large contract, hopefully an extension if we deem necessary that starts to lower his cap number.

I would hope we REALLY put a premium on resigning Aldon and Kaep before the season..(and then go win the SB) This would really put us in a good position if we could secure them both before they have all the accolades AND a SB ring(see: Flacco, Joe)

Gotta decide what to do with Justin Smith, too. Tough to say what kind of contract he'd be looking for. Hopefully he'd give us a discount. Doesn't sound like he wants to have a long decline, but wants to leave at or near his peak.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Gotta decide what to do with Justin Smith, too. Tough to say what kind of contract he'd be looking for. Hopefully he'd give us a discount. Doesn't sound like he wants to have a long decline, but wants to leave at or near his peak.

Good point.. I had not remembered him or just counted him as a casualty.
With his statement in mind, I would not be completely surprised if he walks away if we get the other hand underway after this season.

If he does re-sign, I would hope he would give us a 2 yr, 10mil option with 6.5 guaranteed

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll be turning 35 at the beginning of the 2014 season, I would be really surprised if he has a huge contract coming his way in free agency or even from the 49ers. Honestly the only way I wouldn't be surprised if it was a division rival who overpaid for him just to keep him from finishing his career with the 49ers. In a crazy scenario where the 49ers sweep the series or go 2 for 3 against Seattle and eliminate them in the playoffs and Justin came up big, I wouldn't be shocked to see them throw tons of money at him to get him off the 49ers.

Outside of that, I do imagine that they could bring him back for a very reasonable 2 or 3 yr contract if they wanted to, but a lot of it rides on what Tank does too. If Tank has a killer year then Justin is most likely gone, like how they let Takeo walk after Bowman did so great as a rookie... even though Takeo had an above average season as the starter. The NFL turns into a cruel mistress when these guys hit 35

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He'll be turning 35 at the beginning of the 2014 season, I would be really surprised if he has a huge contract coming his way in free agency or even from the 49ers. Honestly the only way I wouldn't be surprised if it was a division rival who overpaid for him just to keep him from finishing his career with the 49ers. In a crazy scenario where the 49ers sweep the series or go 2 for 3 against Seattle and eliminate them in the playoffs and Justin came up big, I wouldn't be shocked to see them throw tons of money at him to get him off the 49ers.

Outside of that, I do imagine that they could bring him back for a very reasonable 2 or 3 yr contract if they wanted to, but a lot of it rides on what Tank does too. If Tank has a killer year then Justin is most likely gone, like how they let Takeo walk after Bowman did so great as a rookie... even though Takeo had an above average season as the starter. The NFL turns into a cruel mistress when these guys hit 35

yep, it starts with Justin and who'll replace him? but others aren't so young either, just read Brooks and McDonald will be 30 next season. so Lemonier could be big too should he pan out at LOLB? don't know who'll replace McDonald, maybe we didn't draft him yet? Dial seems to fit McDonald's role, but it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a late round pick to become a quality starter.

not to imply we'll cut these guys next season, but we see why Baalke said you don't draft for the current season.....or something to that effect.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Priority #1--kaep
Priority #2--Aldon
Priority #3--Iupati
Priority #4--Boone
Priority #5--Crabbers

not as bad with quantity, but what about quality? these are all quality players that'll command quality contracts. once we sign Kaep, we'll be facing REALLY tough cap decisions?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

totally agree.....where and if possible, keep your own. but the reality is we won't keep everybody, can't keep everybody.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, RB decline does seem 'sudden'?

there's no doubt for me either, if Lattimore shows enough 'return to form', then Gore is gone. granted Lattimore may not even play in real games, so our brass MAY have to take a leap of faith?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Isn't Maclin a FA in 2014?

Yes he is. I have no interest in him though.

I agree, but some of the crew is getting old. It probably wouldn't be a great idea to re-sign Rogers & Nnamdi. There's no telling what the market would be for Brown, but I don't envision him returning. Boldin is too old to re-sign too IMO. And if Crabby wants Percy Harvin money, I would tell him to take a hike.

We'll see about JSmith. I think the team should try to re-sign him after this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just realized I didn't quote you Ray, which means my reply didn't make sense.

I agree, but some of the crew is getting old. It probably wouldn't be a great idea to re-sign Rogers & Nnamdi. There's no telling what the market would be for Brown, but I don't envision him returning. Boldin is too old to re-sign too IMO. And if Crabby wants Percy Harvin money, I would tell him to take a hike.

We'll see about JSmith. I think the team should try to re-sign him after this season.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think we will see Iupati resigned before the season starts. I would LOVE to see us resign Aldon before the season starts as we have given a contract to a player off his second year(Joe Staley circa 2009) I think we will wait on Kaep just so we have another full season, but I wouldn't mind a resign on him.

I would not expect to see us resign Vernon after his current deal ends, I also wouldn't expect us to keep Brooks around at his cap number for several more years if Lemonier(WAH) is effective as a rook. RayMac has been effective imo, but someone that I feel is replaceable in the first three rounds of next years draft. Corner is CLEARLY imo the biggest position of need going forward as I would not expect us to resign Aso unless he is willing to give us a VERY friendly number for a couple years.

Crabtree imo is going to be gone after two years. I feel he is going to play out his rookie deal, we may franchise him for an additional year and then I think we let him walk. I don't care about him and I think he (while effective over the last 15 games and at spurts the previous 20) is also replaceable. Especially when we are able to look for his replacement for the next two seasons. I personally expect him to look for AT LEAST Percy Harvin money/Mike Wallace which at the WR position imo is too much.