• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Am I the only one who thinks Almonte cannot play defense?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch all of the Mariners games since I usually don't have time when they are on, but when I have the one glaring thing I've noticed is how unnatural Abraham Almonte looks out there in CF.

I ask this because he honestly looks terrible to me out there on defense, but his dWAR is +0.5, so is it just me or does Almonte really suck in CF?

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch all of the Mariners games since I usually don't have time when they are on, but when I have the one glaring thing I've noticed is how unnatural Abraham Almonte looks out there in CF.

I ask this because he honestly looks terrible to me out there on defense, but his dWAR is +0.5, so is it just me or does Almonte really suck in CF?

He's okay, but he also doesn't make it look easy like Guti use to. It always seems like he gets a bad jump but makes it up with his speed. I'm far more concerned about his horrible batting.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I don't think he sucks at D. But I also don't think he is a gold glover.

Basically I don't have any issue with him in center field. I also have less of an issue with him leading off than most others. I honestly think Abe Almonte hitting leadoff and playing center daily is one of the less significant issues this team currently has.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's okay, but he also doesn't make it look easy like Guti use to. It always seems like he gets a bad jump but makes it up with his speed. I'm far more concerned about his horrible batting.

He just looks uncoordinated out there at times to me. Maybe I've just seen him at his worst.

Personally I don't think he sucks at D. But I also don't think he is a gold glover.

Basically I don't have any issue with him in center field. I also have less of an issue with him leading off than most others. I honestly think Abe Almonte hitting leadoff and playing center daily is one of the less significant issues this team currently has.

To me he looks replacement level or lower at defense. His batting skills do not exactly make up for that, but that is not the topic of this thread.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me he looks replacement level or lower at defense. His batting skills do not exactly make up for that, but that is not the topic of this thread.

I don't agree. There are 4 players that have played in the outfield for the Mariners this season that are not as good at D as he is.

Out of all the Mariner players there are several that should have their defense questioned before you question Almontes.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, whether or not Almonte has the defensive skills may be in question, but one thing's for sure:

If not, he should feel right at home here.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. There are 4 players that have played in the outfield for the Mariners this season that are not as good at D as he is.

Out of all the Mariner players there are several that should have their defense questioned before you question Almontes.

The fact that there are 4 players who have played worse than Almonte in the outfield speaks to the sad state our defense is in.

I question Almonte's simply because I'm curious if I'm the only one who thinks he looks uncomfortable out there, plus he plays the most important OF spot.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the outfield consists of Saunders (4th outfielder), Almonte (should be in AAA), Ackley (former INF), Romero (Former INF who should also be in AAA), Hart (double knee surgeries) and I guess after tonight (Franklin former INF) I mean in year 6 of Z era and we dont have 1 decent outfielder on this team. A position where you need three players and we dont even have 1 I feel good about.:L