• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All Things Nabokov

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Nabbys apparent quote to ESPN when asked what his reaction was when he heard bout being claimed by the NYI... Nabby responded "I was like, Wow, What's the point?" hahahaha I also cracked up when he supposely hung up on Garth Snow when he called to ask if he was gonna come join the team...

I mean really, why would Snow think he would be excited? Why would a 35 year old goalie that hasnt played half the season with a half year league minumum contract want to play on the 3rd worst team in the league...? Nabby is bascially playing for a contract next year, which puttin up stinker numbers on a stinker team wont get him, or playing to win a cup, which playing on the Islanders isnt going to happen for awhile...

Just put him back on waivers Garth, you have the legendary Depietro for the next 10 years anyway hahaha

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Islanders suspend Nabokov for not reporting

New York owns Nabokov's rights and could keep him out of the NHL for all of next season should Nabokov not report.

Whoa. Now, that part is fucked up if true... Why/how can they own his rights for *next* year? Didn't he sign the contract with Detroit for ONLY the remainder of this year?

What can he do next year to get out of this NYI shit? Can he sign with the KHL or Swedish or some other league and then break out of that contract and come back to the NHL?

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all comes down to Nabby being greedy. He could have easily signed a one year deal with an NHL contender for $1 during the offseason, which is more than what he signed with DET for (650K?) and avoided this mess with the Islanders. Instead, he went to the KHL for a fat contract. Now he wants to sign with a good team so he can gain leverage for his next contract. I don't blame the Islanders for claiming Nabby. It's not like they did it to spite the Wings or Nabby himself. They just want better goaltending and Nabby would give them that.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much disagree 100%.

Well, sans the Nabby-being-greedy part during the offseason. Yes, he went after the most money like almost everyone would have. What's the problem with that?

He wants to sign for a good team now so that he can win a cup, not so that he can audition for next season. If not a good team, he'd report for and play for a decent team to audition for next season.

But to be claimed by one of the worst teams in the league for no reason at all (name one thing they gain from it... there really is no reason they should have claimed him... they want an extra 4-5 wins in the standings this year?) is terrible. They just want better goaltending for what exactly? Their team still sucks shit. Why should he play for them and get lit up every game? In which other team's eyes will that 4.50 GAA look good (for next season)?

It's a lose-lose situation for Nabby... and like he was quoted as saying... him and his agent knew the rules and risks; they're not stupid.

He's choosing to do the best thing for himself right now.

But my question remains... why/how can NYI have any say/control over what he does next season?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Islanders suspend Nabokov for not reporting

Whoa. Now, that part is fucked up if true... Why/how can they own his rights for *next* year? Didn't he sign the contract with Detroit for ONLY the remainder of this year?

What can he do next year to get out of this NYI shit? Can he sign with the KHL or Swedish or some other league and then break out of that contract and come back to the NHL?

It would be simular to the Radulov situation in Nashville. He would remain the property of the NYI until he fulfils his contractual obligations. If the Islanders do choose to hang on to him they can trade him after July 1st without having to put him on waivers.

I really don't blame Nabokov for what he's doing. At his age why should he risk injury to play for a team that has no chance of accomplishing anything?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be simular to the Radulov situation in Nashville. He would remain the property of the NYI until he fulfils his contractual obligations. If the Islanders do choose to hang on to him they can trade him after July 1st without having to put him on waivers.

I really don't blame Nabokov for what he's doing. At his age why should he risk injury to play for a team that has no chance of accomplishing anything?

Hmm... OK but wouldn't his contractual obligation "expire" when his contract expires (i.e. at the end of this season)?

They're only suspending him so that they aren't on the hook to pay him but isn't he technically fulfilling his contract as we speak? He's a member of the NYI... just a suspended (team's choice, rightfully so) member.

I just don't understand how NYI can have any say in what he does after this season ends, that's all.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much disagree 100%.

Well, sans the Nabby-being-greedy part during the offseason. Yes, he went after the most money like almost everyone would have. What's the problem with that?

He wants to sign for a good team now so that he can win a cup, not so that he can audition for next season. If not a good team, he'd report for and play for a decent team to audition for next season.

But to be claimed by one of the worst teams in the league for no reason at all (name one thing they gain from it...there really is no reason they should have claimed him...they want an extra 4-5 wins in the standings this year?) is terrible. They just want better goaltending for what exactly? Their team still sucks shit. Why should he play for them and get lit up every game? In which other team's eyes will that 4.50 GAA look good (for next season)?

It's a lose-lose situation for Nabby... and like he was quoted as saying... him and his agent knew the rules and risks; they're not stupid.

He's choosing to do the best thing for himself right now.

But my question remains... why/how can NYI have any say/control over what he does next season?

There is no problem with him being greedy. I never said there was in my post. He was about to sign his final significant contract of his career and he wanted it to be lucrative. Many athletes his age would do the same.

The Islanders claimed him because they want a cheap veteran goalie. Simple as that. Why did they sign Roloson in the offseason? No way was Rollie a long term plan but they wanted some solid goaltending and that's why they did it.

Nabby chose to sign the fat contract overseas, but now would rather win a Cup, I'm assuming. His indecision in what he wanted now has him in the situation that he's in. Why did he sign a big contract overseas? Then, now, why is he signing for peanuts to win?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmm... OK but wouldn't his contractual obligation "expire" when his contract expires (i.e. at the end of this season)?

They're only suspending him so that they aren't on the hook to pay him but isn't he technically fulfilling his contract as we speak? He's a member of the NYI... just a suspended (team's choice, rightfully so) member.

I just don't understand how NYI can have any say in what he does after this season ends, that's all.

Technically speaking Nabokov is breaching his contract. By refusing to report the Islanders are suspending not only Nabokov but the contract as well. That means Nabokov doesn't count against their cap, they don't have to pay him, and most importantly because it is the player who is in breach the contract does not age.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no problem with him being greedy. I never said there was in my post. He was about to sign his final significant contract of his career and he wanted it to be lucrative. Many athletes his age would do the same.

The Islanders claimed him because they want a cheap veteran goalie. Simple as that. Why did they sign Roloson in the offseason? No way was Rollie a long term plan but they wanted some solid goaltending and that's why they did it.

Nabby chose to sign the fat contract overseas, but now would rather win a Cup, I'm assuming. His indecision in what he wanted now has him in the situation that he's in. Why did he sign a big contract overseas? Then, now, why is he signing for peanuts to win?

He allegedly offered to stay with the Sharks for about half what he was previously making. (Approx $2.5m). That's according to an interview he and his European agent did with Russian media. As for what other teams offered him or what he was asking for from them, who knows.

From the sounds of it he under estimated how much stress the move to Europe would put on him and his family. He probably viewed the KHL as good a place as any to prove himself. Why not take the money too. Now that he realizes the issues being away from his family caused he's willing to take the discounted contract for the remainder of this season but there is no point in running the risk of injury for a team that has nothing to play for. He wants to play for a contract but there is no point in doing so for a team that has already given up.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The whole greedy arguement thing pisses me off, its a well known fact he wouldve taken a discount in SJ, SJ just chose to walk away after doug wilson read the ESPN forum and then suck stan bowmans dick while stan talked of great things like winning a cup with a parking cone in net. After doug wiped his mouth clean and told nabby to go else where, russia called an said hey man, heres $18mil to play 3/4 years... Nabby wanted SJ for a discount, russia called, no other team made suiting offers, he bit... Who wouldnt?? His intentions all along were to play for a contender aka SJ or another team willing to offer something reasonable... no one ever did... Now that Det offered, prob cause there goalie duo both suffered injuries he took it, and now Garth snow wants to be a dickhead for no reason at all, just to fuck him cause he doesnt want to report so the ass smear of a team that appears on the toilet paper every time I take a shit?? Just cause Snow sucked in his NHL days and couldnt ever dream of being in the situation nabby is of being good and wanting to win a cup at the twlight of his career is no reason to fuck him over, its not like holding him suspended & not letting another team have him is effecting the isles standings, cause they prob wont make the playoffs for another 3 years...

This is utter bullshit... And to the guy ranting that nabbys greed put him in this spot, fuck off man, he wanted to play, no one offered so he opted for the big money, every contender had there goalie lineup set in the off season... Would you rather blow a backally bum for a quarter just cause hes a nice guy or would you suck off a guy that has millions dangled in front of you, dont lie, youd be balls deeps on that millions (the lie how you got it) hahah

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole greedy arguement thing pisses me off, its a well known fact he wouldve taken a discount in SJ, SJ just chose to walk away after doug wilson read the ESPN forum and then suck stan bowmans dick while stan talked of great things like winning a cup with a parking cone in net. After doug wiped his mouth clean and told nabby to go else where, russia called an said hey man, heres $18mil to play 3/4 years... Nabby wanted SJ for a discount, russia called, no other team made suiting offers, he bit... Who wouldnt?? His intentions all along were to play for a contender aka SJ or another team willing to offer something reasonable... no one ever did... Now that Det offered, prob cause there goalie duo both suffered injuries he took it, and now Garth snow wants to be a dickhead for no reason at all, just to fuck him cause he doesnt want to report so the ass smear of a team that appears on the toilet paper every time I take a shit?? Just cause Snow sucked in his NHL days and couldnt ever dream of being in the situation nabby is of being good and wanting to win a cup at the twlight of his career is no reason to fuck him over, its not like holding him suspended & not letting another team have him is effecting the isles standings, cause they prob wont make the playoffs for another 3 years...

This is utter bullshit... And to the guy ranting that nabbys greed put him in this spot, fuck off man, he wanted to play, no one offered so he opted for the big money, every contender had there goalie lineup set in the off season... Would you rather blow a backally bum for a quarter just cause hes a nice guy or would you suck off a guy that has millions dangled in front of you, dont lie, youd be balls deeps on that millions (the lie how you got it) hahah

Dude, you need to get a grip. Relax Tiger.....and try and bring an argument to the table that involves more than your opinions. Wow.....switch to decaf.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It all comes down to Nabby being greedy. He could have easily signed a one year deal with an NHL contender for $1 during the offseason, which is more than what he signed with DET for (650K?) and avoided this mess with the Islanders. Instead, he went to the KHL for a fat contract. Now he wants to sign with a good team so he can gain leverage for his next contract. I don't blame the Islanders for claiming Nabby. It's not like they did it to spite the Wings or Nabby himself. They just want better goaltending and Nabby would give them that.

I do blame the islanders, what's the point for grabbing nabby? They had Rolson, they couldve held on to him, but they have him away. As if they planned on going with a youth movement in net and dipetrio.

So it's a dick move by snow and the islanders to a veteran player

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nabby was greedy and took a big contract. A contract no other NHL team came close to offering him. That is fact. Why is being greedy bad? I never said it was. If I was about to sign the last significant contract of my career, I'd make sure it was lucrative as well.

Next time you wanna come at me with a tirade, try to formulate it in a way that sounds somewhat intelligent. You mention blowjobs as if it was a part of hockey and your post reeks of immaturity. I never remembered you this way on the ESPN boards.

And to answer your question, I'd much rather blow the guy that has millions dangled in front of me, but you are wrong about the lying part. I'd tell all my friends that there's a guy offering millions for a blowjob. Here's his number if you're interested.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do blame the islanders, what's the point for grabbing nabby? They had Rolson, they couldve held on to him, but they have him away. As if they planned on going with a youth movement in net and dipetrio.

So it's a dick move by snow and the islanders to a veteran player

Exactly right... NYI way more "in the wrong" here than Nabby, IMO.

There is absolutely nothing they can use Nabby for right now. They should have passed on him.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I were nabby I would report for 2 reasons, one his reputation he said he'd report to whom ever claimed him. And 2, to win as many had games as possible and fuck up any chance of the islanders getting the # 1 overall pick in the draft

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Easy there Likewall. Nabokov was sure to have several offers on the table this last offseason and went with what was the biggest offer. That in itself could be viewed as being greedy. It's also very understandable how not reporting to the Islanders can be viewed in the same light.

You'll have a better chance of making your point if you post a thought out respectful reply instead of a rant that goes in 90 different directions with a bunch of name calling.

Lets try to keep the discussion civil people.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Islanders have every right to claim him off waivers. Would any of you be saying the same thing if the Sharks claimed him & he chose not to report?

From what I understand the Sharks did in fact put in a claim on Nabakov he wouldn't have gotten to the Red Wings anyway. If Nabakov hadn't hung up on Garth Snow & acted like an immature child the Islanders probably would have put him back on waivers & allowed one of the other teams who put in a claim have him for a late round draft pick. Now it's HARDBALL.:D

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Islanders have every right to claim him off waivers. Would any of you be saying the same thing if the Sharks claimed him & he chose not to report?

From what I understand the Sharks did in fact put in a claim on Nabakov he wouldn't have gotten to the Red Wings anyway. If Nabakov hadn't hung up on Garth Snow & acted like an immature child the Islanders probably would have put him back on waivers & allowed one of the other teams who put in a claim have him for a late round draft pick. Now it's HARDBALL.:D

If the Islanders would have put him back on waivers they wouldn't have gotten anything out of it. By not reporting Nabokov is actually doing Snow a huge favor. If Nabby fails to report for the remainder of this season the Islanders can trade him next season without having to subject him to waivers first. At a cap hit of $570k they will be able to get a lot more than a late round pick for him.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nabby was greedy and took a big contract. A contract no other NHL team came close to offering him. That is fact. Why is being greedy bad? I never said it was. If I was about to sign the last significant contract of my career, I'd make sure it was lucrative as well.

Next time you wanna come at me with a tirade, try to formulate it in a way that sounds somewhat intelligent. You mention blowjobs as if it was a part of hockey and your post reeks of immaturity. I never remembered you this way on the ESPN boards.

And to answer your question, I'd much rather blow the guy that has millions dangled in front of me, but you are wrong about the lying part. I'd tell all my friends that there's a guy offering millions for a blowjob. Here's his number if you're interested.

Hahahaha. That is some funny shit.