• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

all star voting

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'll probably watch the game as long as Kovy isnt the Devils rep. If he is, then we all know the game itself is fucked

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To to clarify my opinions on the ASG.

It's a meaningless moneymaking game for the enjoyment of fans.

Having the fans pick 6 players they want to see go is fine. Most of them are locks anyway and 1 or 2 borderline players isn't gonna ruin the game.

People will always complain about AS selections in every sport no matter what method is used to pick them

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, it's fans voting in the top 6. And for the most part, those guys that GOT in deserved it. Were there other guys who deserved to be in the starting line-up more? Yes, but being in the top 6 only means they know before others do. By the way, the Captains are voted on by the players selected to the ASG rosters. 2 Cs and 4 As are chosen, composed of 2 forwards and 1 Dman a team (they said that it was best as far as having distribution across both teams), each team will be named Team "Captains Surname". And Dboy, you aren't watching a lot of hockey this season if you think Tanger doesn't deserve this. He's arguably top 3 Norris candidate at this point in the season. I think the only player that may not make the game if he weren't voted in the fan voting is Fleury, but of LATE he's deserved it. I mean, I don't think that at this time you can clearly think of 5 other goalies that absolutely must be in the game above him.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BizNasty2point0

Its embarasing listening to fans complain about who the top voted guys in are. They are all legit all stars regardless of team they play for

THE BIZ HAS SPOKEN. Hahahah

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

Are you saying people who don't really care about the ASG can't have an opinion on it? It's still a headline story.

I'm saying the OP framed this in a respectful way that says the voting process is a joke without going after specific players. It then devolved into this player did/this player didn't, really hockey fans don't watch the AS game, and any process is a joke.

The simple fact is this - the OP is right. Fans of one team - Montreal, Pittsburgh, or whoever - shouldn't be able to stuff the ballot box. It's bad for the game and makes the fans look bad whether you see the AS game as important or not.

I don't disagree that most of these players would probably get in anyway, but the simple fact remains this is a terrible and embarassing way to vote for your all-stars. There may not be a perfect way, but that doesn't mean there's isn't a much better way.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Letang being voted in, he is having a good season, but I don't think Fleury deserves to be voted in. That's just my opinion and if fans had taken the time to vote as much as Penguin fans, the results may have been different. Stamkos will make the team as will Tim Thomas (they both deserve to be on the team). The only other Bruins I think should make it are Horton and Chara. I'm not going to get all upset over who makes it and who doesn't, it is an exhibition game after all. JMO :D

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying the OP framed this in a respectful way that says the voting process is a joke without going after specific players. It then devolved into this player did/this player didn't, really hockey fans don't watch the AS game, and any process is a joke.

The simple fact is this - the OP is right. Fans of one team - Montreal, Pittsburgh, or whoever - shouldn't be able to stuff the ballot box. It's bad for the game and makes the fans look bad whether you see the AS game as important or not.

I don't disagree that most of these players would probably get in anyway, but the simple fact remains this is a terrible and embarassing way to vote for your all-stars. There may not be a perfect way, but that doesn't mean there's isn't a much better way.

The only problem I have with the highlighted is every teams fans have the same option to stuff the ballot box. I guess some fans care more than others.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BizNasty2point0

Its embarasing listening to fans complain about who the top voted guys in are. They are all legit all stars regardless of team they play for

THE BIZ HAS SPOKEN. Hahahah

Im surprised that twitter whore Biz hasnt pointed out he received more votes than the Sedins lol

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The simple fact is this - the OP is right. Fans of one team - Montreal, Pittsburgh, or whoever - shouldn't be able to stuff the ballot box. It's bad for the integrity of the game whether you see the AS game as important or not.

Yeah the OP really kept people guessing by not naming players. The disclaimer made it real respectful too.

No one is saying hockey fans don't watch the ASG.

Of course people are going to talk about the players selected.

And I don't think anyone said any process is a joke. I said people will bitch about any process used.

And see I disagree with what you are saying so it's not really a fact and it's up for debate. It's not terrible or embarrassing way to vote. They gave them a ballot and let them vote. That's usually how voting works. It's simple. Fans shouldn't need a birth certificate or other form of ID to vote. It's a small part of a roster for an ASG. It's fine the way it is. It's not bad for the integrity of the game by letting fans pick who they want. The game is basically for the fans. Only right they get a say in it. If the fans didn't want Fleury they should have voted for another guy more. I'm sure there is a better way to do it. But this one is hardly terrible and embarrassing...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem I have with the highlighted is every teams fans have the same option to stuff the ballot box. I guess some fans care more than others.

It's true. But is that how All-Stars should be decided? I would think player performance that season would be paramount.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

exactly ... it would seem some fanbases care about the all star game ... some dont

ive read one story (tweet) saying what side you fall on depends on your fanbases hockey sophistication level ... NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THAT (before I get flamed - lol)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's all related. If you start talking about All Star snubs and players getting in who didn't deserve it, that opens a discussion about the system that puts them there and why. The system is not presently designed for optimal All-Star team selection. The reason is that new fans to the game tend to "stuff the box" and more experienced fans don't care enough about the All-Star game to do anything about it.

Once you start talking about problems, you start talking about solutions. It's the natural order of things, and if it weren't we'd be in even more trouble than we are today.

Also related is defending the selections and determining who should be in over those who already are. Any time you question the All-Star roster, these things must be considered in order to give validity to the argument.

I thus conclude that this entire thread is relevant to its initial topic.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have a different take

any NHL fan worth his salt could fucken care less about the all star game ... and voting makes you look like a completely uneducated, media-hype-swallowing, brainwashed idiot

to re-iterate ... who fucken cares about who gets voted into the all star game

Not to the fans but the player that has it in their contract for a bonus cares. JMO.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to get over the idea that fans should get to vote and fans will vote for the absolute most deserving players based on season performance. It's never gonna happen. Ever. People are homers. Which I don't think is a bad thing.

If someone wants to vote on the most deserving players... Awesome.

If someone wants to vote on the players they like... Awesome.

If someone wants to vote on the players from the team they like... Awesome.

If someone wants to vote for the first 6 players they see... Awesome.

Let people vote for whoever they want. It's a free countries (Canada's free right?). Any small issues that arise in the voting process can be neutralized by the fact that it's just a small part of All Star rosters.....

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's true. But is that how All-Stars should be decided? I would think player performance that season would be paramount.

Sure, you would like it to be that way, but it's about who the fans want to see. You see the same thing in basketball and baseball. There's always players who are having really good years not getting voted in. Allen Iverson made the all star team on name alone a few years back. Luckily, the fans only vote for one player at each position and not the entire team.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, you would like it to be that way, but it's about who the fans want to see. You see the same thing in basketball and baseball. There's always players who are having really good years not getting voted in. Allen Iverson made the all star team on name alone a few years back. Luckily, the fans only vote for one player at each position and not the entire team.

E-HUG!!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Not to the fans but the player that has it in their contract for a bonus cares. JMO.

The players and teams that sign those contracts know the system in place before they apply their ink to the paper. If it matters to them that much, that's their problem. It's like getting mad at the lottery because you didn't win it.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the fucking math. If a city like NY stuffs the ballots with 11 million people how can cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Ottawa match that?

Now Crosby obviously deserves to be in but if they didn't have him I am damn sure their fans would bitch about it too.

Fan voting sucks !!!

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus any player not getting on the team because of this 6 player voting system is extremely borderline anyway.

Plus the league minimum is 500k so I'm not gonna lose sleep if a borderline player just misses out on that bonus...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the fucking math. If a city like NY stuffs the ballots with 11 million people how can cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Ottawa match that?

Now Crosby obviously deserves to be in but if they didn't have him I am damn sure their fans would bitch about it too.

Fan voting sucks !!!

But they're only voting for six spots. That kind of negates it, doesn't it? It's not like undeserving players got voted into the All-Star game. Players who either would be in or would be on the fringe got voted in. The rest of the team will be selected by "people who know what they're doing."