• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

all star voting

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that thinks the fan voting is the way to go just look at the ASG a couple years ago in Montreal where half of the team was voted in.

It should be fan voting and player/ coaches voting.

The game should be allstars not where the game is played and not a popularity contest. It must suck for players that have it in their contract that they get more money if they make the All Star Team and yes there are clauses in some contract's

Vote with you head not with your heart.

THIS

The all star game with half MTL players was pathetic. Especially if the NHL decides to go in a direction in the future of it deciding home ice in the finals, simple minded pens and hawk fans (as well as other teams) shouldn't decide the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt have a problem with voting in players when it was East Vs West, the way the game should still be.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the concept theyre going with, East vs West doesnt decide home ice advantage or anything. It was worth a shot, it will have a cool pick up feel to it. I'm sure if it sucks they'll revert back to their old ways. I like the idea of players picking the captains and captains picking the teams league wide, it would be 10 times better if it was an outdoor game.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that said, any real nhl fan worth his/her salt has to be pissed about how this voting went down.

this makes ALL nhl fans look like completely uneducated, media-hype-swallowing, brainwashed idiots.

i have a different take

any NHL fan worth his salt could fucken care less about the all star game ... and voting makes you look like a completely uneducated, media-hype-swallowing, brainwashed idiot

to re-iterate ... who fucken cares about who gets voted into the all star game

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted in the ASG, not just Devils either, and I do tend to watch a period or two

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The voting fiascos of late are more a function of the implementation of online voting. Back in the day when AS ballots were only available to fans at the game, 1 ballot per person at the game, the voting was much more equitable and, for the most part, intelligent.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ASG is all about the young fan, the new fan, and the inexperienced fan.

Most long time, knowledgeable hockey fans aren't very interested in the All Star Game because.. well, it's not real hockey. I don't watch it, and I don't vote for it. I have a feeling there are a lot of other people like myself out there who play hockey, watch hockey, watch any playoff game they can, watch college hockey, AHL, etc... but just don't give two shits about the All Star Game or voting.

The newer fans do however, and they go nuts on the ballot box. Not to be condescending, but the Hawks have a shitload of fans who have just been introduced to hockey... can you blame them for not knowing who the best players are? They started following hockey two or three years ago, they know the Hawks, they want to see the Hawks.

repped this one

/ I shouldnt be so harsh ... the one thing i am intrigued by this all star game is the picking of teams by the captains and how that will work

Im guessing Toews and Crosby are captains ... do they pick the teams right before the game ... is it a snake style draft ? ... id like to see where the Sedins get picked and by whom

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I about threw up when I saw the names Letang and Fluery on there those were the two that stood out as the most stupid to me.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that bugs me about All-Star games in all sports is that appearances drive up player salaries on the market. When a player who doesn't deserve it gets into an All-Star game, it inevitably inflates the market for players in his mold. That's bad for the game, in my opinion.

Good point. Even more important...how many times a player was an All-Star is an important consideration for the Hall of Fame since it allows voters to look beyond simple stats and points amassed, and see how a player was judged against the peers of his day.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yes

bite me

fans picking 6 players they want is as big an issue as... well nothing. its not an issue at all. it's the fucking all star game. it doesn't matter. at all. the game isnt ruined now that marc-andre fleury is in it. and i use game loosely. everyone else was a lock to make it anyway. this is a non issue. stop bitching about it.

If the All Star game doesn't matter then why were Lidstrom and Datsyuk suspended for REAL games for not going because they were just coming off injury. The All Star game does affect the rest of the season. It helps direct the league on which stars to market/promote.(you know, the guys who get voted in a popularity contest like the ASG) Not to mention that I have to watch my team overpay for a player just because he can say that he is an All Star and deserves All Star money. Even though in reality he just deserves the weekly allowance that is given to the 15 year old that voted for him 150 times...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ASG is all about the young fan, the new fan, and the inexperienced fan.

Most long time, knowledgeable hockey fans aren't very interested in the All Star Game because.. well, it's not real hockey. I don't watch it, and I don't vote for it. I have a feeling there are a lot of other people like myself out there who play hockey, watch hockey, watch any playoff game they can, watch college hockey, AHL, etc... but just don't give two shits about the All Star Game or voting.

I'm a long-time, knowledgeable fan, and I watch and enjoy the All-Star game. Its not competitive or hard-hitting, but it's a fun display of skills and usually has a couple "wow" moments. You also get to see rivals and highly skilled players put together on lines and some sick passing plays put together. And every once in awhile a goalie puts in an incredible performance against line after line of amazing scorers.

I agree it is marketed towards the young/new fan, but that doesn't mean you have to be one to enjoy it. I like the All-Star game.

I'm not enraged about the voting, but BOTH the nomination and voting process do seem terrible.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that thinks the fan voting is the way to go just look at the ASG a couple years ago in Montreal where half of the team was voted in.

It should be fan voting and player/ coaches voting.

The game should be allstars not where the game is played and not a popularity contest. It must suck for players that have it in their contract that they get more money if they make the All Star Team and yes there are clauses in some contract's

Vote with you head not with your heart.

I like that fans get 6 spots. Gives them a say but they can't fuck it up too bad. I'm not going to shed a tear for a player with a clause in his contract that misses out due to the fan voting because that means he was a borderline player anyway. And they get paid enough so I really don't care.

THIS

The all star game with half MTL players was pathetic. Especially if the NHL decides to go in a direction in the future of it deciding home ice in the finals, simple minded pens and hawk fans (as well as other teams) shouldn't decide the outcome.

Yeah IF the NHL is retarded and decides to make it worth something, don't let simple minded Sharks fans (as well as others) get a vote. As it stands now it means nothing so letting fans pick 6 popular players doesn't hurt anything at all. Especially since 5 of the 6 were/should've been locks to begin with.

I like the concept theyre going with, East vs West doesnt decide home ice advantage or anything. It was worth a shot, it will have a cool pick up feel to it. I'm sure if it sucks they'll revert back to their old ways. I like the idea of players picking the captains and captains picking the teams league wide, it would be 10 times better if it was an outdoor game.

I agree with all of that.

i have a different take

any NHL fan worth his salt could fucken care less about the all star game ... and voting makes you look like a completely uneducated, media-hype-swallowing, brainwashed idiot

to re-iterate ... who fucken cares about who gets voted into the all star game

Thank you.

Does this mean that the two "captains" will be Penguins....and Ovie will get picked last????

I don't think the captains need to be from the 6 but I could be wrong.

I about threw up when I saw the names Letang and Fluery on there those were the two that stood out as the most stupid to me.

Letang is 3rd in defensive scoring and +/- and has been multiple journalists' pick for an early Norris consideration. Really no need to vomit because he makes an All Star Team.

If the All Star game doesn't matter then why were Lidstrom and Datsyuk suspended for REAL games for not going because they were just coming off injury. The All Star game does affect the rest of the season. It helps direct the league on which stars to market/promote.(you know, the guys who get voted in a popularity contest like the ASG) Not to mention that I have to watch my team overpay for a player just because he can say that he is an All Star and deserves All Star money. Even though in reality he just deserves the weekly allowance that is given to the 15 year old that voted for him 150 times...

Sorry you're right. It matters for NHL marketing. Who does the league wanna impress? Oh the fans. Good thing they get a say in voting.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tanger mostly deserves it. He's near the top of all league defensemen in both points and +/-. He's been top-notch on both ends of the ice.

But Fleury's numbers are still just good, not great, and Tim Thomas should have been voted in first.

But, as I said before, it really doesn't matter aside from players using this as a negotiation point for contracts.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually ASG voting should be names randomly drawn out of a hat.

If the fans pick, people bitch about how they fucked up.

If players pick, people bitch about how they fucked up.

If management picks, people bitch about how they fucked up.

Actually if they did the hat idea, people would bitch about how the hat fucked up too.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted Stamkos, Datsyuk and Sedin for forwards, Lidstrom and Enstrom for d-men. Quick (homer pick) for goalie.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually if they did the hat idea, people would bitch about how the hat fucked up too.

Hats fuck everything up.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should let Todd Bertuzzi pick. Everyone already hates him and bitches about how he fucked up.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a thread about all-star voting - I don't understand why several responses are (1) the all-star game doesn't matter and (2) no process is good. Then just don't post on this topic.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a thread about all-star voting - I don't understand why several responses are (1) the all-star game doesn't matter and (2) no process is good. Then just don't post on this topic.

What?

Are you saying people who don't really care about the ASG can't have an opinion on it? It's still a headline story.

Or that a people who think the ASG doesn't matter can't then hold a belief that fans picking 6 players they want isn't important either and that people need to stop bitching about it? Cause theres some connection there.

Or that the voting process isn't related to the voting?

I don't understand your post. Other than the "This is a thread about all-star voting" part. But I think everyone had picked up on that by this point in the thread...