• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All Elite Wrestling

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They can really become a thorn in WWE's side if they start plucking NXT guys. Let WWE train them and build them up, they know the logical next step with WWE is to slowly move to the main roster where they will stick with the midcard for years before ever getting maybe a shot in the main event. AEW can come in right when those NXT guys are making the move to RAW or smackdown and offer some big money and a shot at the main event.

A lot of the NXT guys might be a good fit if AEW is going to be more wrestling/workrate based like they're hyping it to be. Adam Coles girlfriend works at AEW and he's not a prototypical Vince main eventer. Not sure when his contract expires but he might make more sense in AEW than Raw or SD.

I do think at first they need to get a handful of upper midcard/main event talent from the WWE to attract the casual audience

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the NXT guys might be a good fit if AEW is going to be more wrestling/workrate based like they're hyping it to be. Adam Coles girlfriend works at AEW and he's not a prototypical Vince main eventer. Not sure when his contract expires but he might make more sense in AEW than Raw or SD.

I do think at first they need to get a handful of upper midcard/main event talent from the WWE to attract the casual audience

I agree with starting out they need to get well named people to attract casual fans and make headlines. I am just so cautious about it given TNA's major flop when they had some big name folks.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with starting out they need to get well named people to attract casual fans and make headlines. I am just so cautious about it given TNA's major flop when they had some big name folks.
Yeah..but I would argue they are gonna have much more stability financial wise than TNA. The TV deal is gonna be huge.

Jericho, Ambrose, Orton, Omega is a solid start to the mainevent scene.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think this company has some huge advantages over TNA.

TNAs most tickets sold for any live event was 8000 or so at the Alamo Dome. These guys are selling out 10,000 seats in a half hour and now apparently the demand for presale codes on their site means double or nothing is going to sell out before it's even on sale.
I'm curious if there's a 25-30 thousand seat venue in the northeast (college football stadium, arena soccer league) that can do a wrestling show as I think they can sell that out too.

Also their owner is a huge wrestling nerd and legit has an idea on what the diehard/money spending fans want out of a product.

I mentioned this in another thread but the only major/in their prime stars TNA ever signed were Hardy and Angle who both had well publicized drug issues at the time. Generally they weren't competing with the WWE for top talent like WCW did or AEW hopefully will..

Plus the TV landscape is much better for wrestling than it was 10 years ago. Even a flawed product like Prime era TNA might make a killing now.

Tl;dr. I'm a mark and really want wrestling to return to late 90s glory

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this company has some huge advantages over TNA.

TNAs most tickets sold for any live event was 8000 or so at the Alamo Dome. These guys are selling out 10,000 seats in a half hour and now apparently the demand for presale codes on their site means double or nothing is going to sell out before it's even on sale.
I'm curious if there's a 25-30 thousand seat venue in the northeast (college football stadium, arena soccer league) that can do a wrestling show as I think they can sell that out too.

Also their owner is a huge wrestling nerd and legit has an idea on what the diehard/money spending fans want out of a product.

I mentioned this in another thread but the only major/in their prime stars TNA ever signed were Hardy and Angle who both had well publicized drug issues at the time. Generally they weren't competing with the WWE for top talent like WCW did or AEW hopefully will..

Plus the TV landscape is much better for wrestling than it was 10 years ago. Even a flawed product like Prime era TNA might make a killing now.

Tl;dr. I'm a mark and really want wrestling to return to late 90s glory
That'll never happen so long as Linda McMahon is in politics....ad even then I think Stephanie is too much a feminist to allow a second attitude era.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can really become a thorn in WWE's side if they start plucking NXT guys. Let WWE train them and build them up, they know the logical next step with WWE is to slowly move to the main roster where they will stick with the midcard for years before ever getting maybe a shot in the main event. AEW can come in right when those NXT guys are making the move to RAW or smackdown and offer some big money and a shot at the main event.

But you're overlooking 1 major thing. If WWE senses someone might go to AEW when their contract expires they wont push them to the main shows. WWE likes to have their talent locked down so if someone has less than a year left on their deal and there's a strong possibility they wont re-sign WWE wont push them.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you're overlooking 1 major thing. If WWE senses someone might go to AEW when their contract expires they wont push them to the main shows. WWE likes to have their talent locked down so if someone has less than a year left on their deal and there's a strong possibility they wont re-sign WWE wont push them.
True, but now thanks to social media and other avenues for wrestlers to promote themselves I think this could create an even bigger draw for when that guy finally is free of his WWE contract and goes to AEW. Seems a lot of AEW could be smarks type fans, so imagine the anticipation after year long wait for a guy to jump ship and join. the internet wrestling community would go nuts. So unlike maybe the 90s or early 00's that once a guy from the WWE went off TV he was forgotten, in todays world and technology, a wrestler can very well stay relevant amongst his target audience.

Also, imagine the promos or anticipation for a promo on a guy who leaves WWE to AEW after WWE purposefully stopped his push for that extended amount of time. We may see that sooner than later with a guy like Ambrose.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They could do the opposite too. Contract details are scarce, but from what's been gathered from the dirt sheets is when they call you up from NXT, your developmental deal gets switched to a 3 year WWE deal. If that's true, in theory, if an NXT talent was eyeing AEW, I suppose they could call that person up and thus lock them up for 3 years

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could do the opposite too. Contract details are scarce, but from what's been gathered from the dirt sheets is when they call you up from NXT, your developmental deal gets switched to a 3 year WWE deal. If that's true, in theory, if an NXT talent was eyeing AEW, I suppose they could call that person up and thus lock them up for 3 years
Or that talent realizes they probably get nowhere in 3 years on the WWE main roster and the money and opportunity seem right in the AEW, before signing that WWE contract, you go to AEW instead.

I mean really besides Reigns has there been a true NXT talent that has risen to main event within 3 years? And Reigns was the golden boy for WWE to take over Cena's role, so a Cena/Reigns type character only comes around every 10 years or so.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or that talent realizes they probably get nowhere in 3 years on the WWE main roster and the money and opportunity seem right in the AEW, before signing that WWE contract, you go to AEW instead.

I mean really besides Reigns has there been a true NXT talent that has risen to main event within 3 years? And Reigns was the golden boy for WWE to take over Cena's role, so a Cena/Reigns type character only comes around every 10 years or so.

"True" meaning guys that weren't on the Indys before? Because if its just people in general (Indy and non-indy) that have been in NXT, then Rollins and Owens qualify as well. Most of WWE's roster now has spent time in NXT as well. NXT has been wildly successful for WWE in that regard.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'll never happen so long as Linda McMahon is in politics....ad even then I think Stephanie is too much a feminist to allow a second attitude era.

You can have a 2nd attitude era without the bra and pantie matches though. Just edgier storylines not the same tired boring ones.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People always forget but like 90% of the attitude era was fucking garbage. Like the tag division was awesome and the main event scene was really good if you’re OK with every paper view main event ending in a non-clean finish but everything else though was trash.

It was just the really good stuff made up for the really shitty stuff even know the amount of shit heavily outweighed the amount of good quality content.

For every good segment/storyline we would get 3 or so shitty ones like choppy choppy pee-pee or Mae Young giving birth to a hand.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People always forget but like 90% of the attitude era was fucking garbage. Like the tag division was awesome and the main event scene was really good if you’re OK with every paper view main event ending in a non-clean finish but everything else though was trash.

It was just the really good stuff made up for the really shitty stuff even know the amount of shit heavily outweighed the amount of good quality content.

For every good segment/storyline we would get 3 or so shitty ones like choppy choppy pee-pee or Mae Young giving birth to a hand.

Not asking this in a gatekeeping sense but genuinely curious... did you watch the Monday wars in real time? Even the trash stuff was part of the 90s zeitgeist. For me it added to the show. It might all not hold up in 2019 but to me that was easily the best time to be a fan.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have a 2nd attitude era without the bra and pantie matches though. Just edgier storylines not the same tired boring ones.
ding ding ding!

Give me a g-damn swerve from time to time, it's too late now, but Cena could have been a mega heel had they turned him 6 years ago. Would it have hit WWE's pockets a bit? Sure, maybe, but also Vince didn't get to where he is today without taking some risks and the Attitude Era was all about risks, they needed to to compete with WCW.

I thought WWE was changing in 2011 with Punks pipe bomb promo, but ultimately it went back to same ol same ol. But those types of storylines or promos are definitely edgier and something WWE could run with.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AEW rumor of the day.. I try not get hooked by all of these but this is a major one Batista Meets With Top AEW Wrestler (Photo) - Wrestling Inc.

Analysis. The smart money is still on Batista to WWE for WM but if AEW wants to go super ambitious on a MLB/NFL Stadium show this summer it makes a lot of sense to throw a ton of money at an A level star.

Well, if on the small chance he does go to AEW, at least we'd get pyro back in his entrance

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to Meltzer, Double or Nothing would have sold about 43,500 tickets based on ticketing site traffic numbers for the show's presale.

That number makes an NFL stadium in a major northeast market sound feasible, especially if they're able to bring in a handful of WWE stars and a special attraction like a Goldberg or Batista.

You wonder with the Khans connections if they can get a low rental rate on a place like Lincoln Financial Field (Philly's a top market, it's a 90 minute drive from NYC, Wash/Balt right off 95)

A stadium show would be huge for hype and the overall optics of the company if they pull it off this soon

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Khan's being NFL, do they get Gronkowski?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pre-sale was supper jammed up, I got in fairly early and was still only able to get upper level tickets (Been to the MGM Arena before though they arent too bad for like 35 bucks) luckily apparently since the presale sold out fairly quickly as well. Good excuse to go to Vegas for Memorial Day weekend.