• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith vs Tim Tebow

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One gets all the blame on loses while the other gets all the credit on wins
One gets little credit for wins and the other little blame on loses
One is disrespected by the media one is over hyped by the media
One all he does is lose even though he is winning now. The other all he does is win even though he hasn't played any good teams and when he does he gets blown out.
Alex Smith is the Anti Tebow

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Tebow gets all this love for being such a good sportsman and a great leader, but I think Smith is just as deserving of that credit.

After his first 6 years in the league nobody would blame him for getting the hell out of SF. Especially how he was treated during the Nolan years, and notably last year with the crowds reaction. But the guy stayed, and he organized all the offseason workouts. He took a pay cut a couple years ago to stay here. All this because the guy wants to finish what he started in SF. You don't find that much these days, and I think that speaks volumes of the guys character.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One gets all the blame on loses while the other gets all the credit on wins
One gets little credit for wins and the other little blame on loses
One is disrespected by the media one is over hyped by the media
One all he does is lose even though he is winning now. The other all he does is win even though he hasn't played any good teams and when he does he gets blown out.
Alex Smith is the Anti Tebow

The media mistakes his christian schtick as courage, like it takes some sort of courage to praise a god the majority of this country believes in, I've seen comparisons of Tebow to Reggie White for this. sadly its a storyline the media loves and retarded believers love to read.

Smith character >>> Tebow character

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow doesn't have to live up to the excellence of Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Elway is a HOF of course, but he was all big arm and big play when it was needed... he wasn't the systematic destruction that Montana and Young were. If you know what I mean....

Elway didn't always win pretty, he just won... so their fans and their media just like the end result. Montana/Young won pretty, with perfect pass after perfect pass... which kinda draws disgust from us when Alex Smith is over throwing Crabs in the endzone and throwing behind Williams on the other TD miscue.

Cockbags like Steve Young don't help the situation, since he keeps pouring gasoline on the fire by treating Smith like he was treated, talking shit because Smith isnt Montana... for someone who had to fight out of Montana's shadow, I would have thought he'd have more sympathy for guys trying to fight their way out of his and Montana's shadows.

I mean, imagine how much worse it would have been for Young if Montana kept taking digs at Steve for losing NFC Championships... the way Young continues to take shots at Smith everytime something goes wrong... I know it's Steve's job, but he should have the professional courtesy to shut the fuck up when asked about 49ers QBs.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Montana the other day on the DP show. Pretty interesting stuff. He was saying basically that he didn't feel it was the job of a vet to help out a young guy. He said his job was to stay on the field. Like the possible Manning Luck on the Colts. He said, "Why would you help a guy take your spot?" That when Young was there, he didn't mentor him because his job was to stay better than Young. Pretty good stuff. I will try and find a link.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that Tebow gets all this love for being such a good sportsman and a great leader, but I think Smith is just as deserving of that credit.

After his first 6 years in the league nobody would blame him for getting the hell out of SF. Especially how he was treated during the Nolan years, and notably last year with the crowds reaction. But the guy stayed, and he organized all the offseason workouts. He took a pay cut a couple years ago to stay here. All this because the guy wants to finish what he started in SF. You don't find that much these days, and I think that speaks volumes of the guys character.

He might be a man of great character but he stayed here because he didn't have any other options. No one wanted the guy.

I am happy that he has been pretty good for the Niners this year but he was pretty darn bad for a long time.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media mistakes his christian schtick as courage, like it takes some sort of courage to praise a god the majority of this country believes in, I've seen comparisons of Tebow to Reggie White for this. sadly its a storyline the media loves and retarded believers love to read.

Smith character >>> Tebow character

I COMPLETELY disagree with your assessment of "Christian schtick" with Tebow in tying that to courage with Tebow. First off, NOT overly religious as I tend to find myself admittedly in church on Easter and Xmas only so this defense isn't coming from some sort of offense taken from a moral ground. Take religion out of the equation and you have Tim Tebow, a kid who is extremely likable and charismatic, whose work ethic is unparalleled. He is upbeat and positive and encourages his teammates to be better then they think they can be, all within the idea of team. Yes he isn't accurate, yes he takes forever to wind up to throw the rock, yes he is running a glorified college offense. But there is a reason why guys like Dawkins and the rest of that team believe in him and go to bat for the guy.

I feel as if I can tell sincerity in interviews vs. rattling off the usual cliches. Tebow's teammates, much like Alex Smith's teammates, believe in him and truly WANT him as their QB. They play hard, they put their bodies on the line, much like Tebow does every time he runs the ball. I TRULY BELIEVE that his teammates WANT him to get better, to be THE guy. Tim Tebow gets a ton of pub because he is a genuinely likable guy and unless you are fan of an opposing team in the AFC West or an SEC fan, there really is no reason to dislike the guy. You may say he isn't a good QB and doesn't (or can't) play the position traditionally, but nobody can really hate the guy's character.

As for Alex Smith, I didn't like the pick initially (and frankly still don't) but I have watched him for 7 years and you can say a lot of the same things about Smith, only Smith has proven to be able to handle REAL adversity and still keep his head. Most people that were treated like Smith would have left town twin birds in air. Like Tall said, Smith came back and wanted to finish what he started. I admire that in him. I also think that Alex is a good QB, just not a franchise QB. Until we feel as if we have that franchise guy on our roster and ready to play, I would be perfectly fine continuing to trot Smith out there every Sunday.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't for Smith I don't think Meyer ever gets the chance to coach Tebow.

I can just as easily claim that if it wasn't for Meyer, Smith never would've had a chance at the 1st overall pick.

As for the OP, Smith > Tebow all day.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tebow doesn't have to live up to the excellence of Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Elway is a HOF of course, but he was all big arm and big play when it was needed... he wasn't the systematic destruction that Montana and Young were. If you know what I mean....

Elway didn't always win pretty, he just won... so their fans and their media just like the end result. Montana/Young won pretty, with perfect pass after perfect pass... which kinda draws disgust from us when Alex Smith is over throwing Crabs in the endzone and throwing behind Williams on the other TD miscue.

Cockbags like Steve Young don't help the situation, since he keeps pouring gasoline on the fire by treating Smith like he was treated, talking shit because Smith isnt Montana... for someone who had to fight out of Montana's shadow, I would have thought he'd have more sympathy for guys trying to fight their way out of his and Montana's shadows.

I mean, imagine how much worse it would have been for Young if Montana kept taking digs at Steve for losing NFC Championships... the way Young continues to take shots at Smith everytime something goes wrong... I know it's Steve's job, but he should have the professional courtesy to shut the fuck up when asked about 49ers QBs.

Steve Young is paid to give his opinion and what he has said over the years about Smith has been spot on. Young doesn't work for the 49ers and he doesn't owe Smith or the 49ers any special courtesy just because he used to wear the Red and Gold.
The shadows of Joe Montana and Steve Young faded long ago and Smith had a chance to shine in the shadow of Tim Rattay and he didn't. I get that he didn't have the best opportunity to succeed but I think fans would have been happy with Garcia type success.

Alex Smith is earning some love and respect this year with the Niners but perceptions don't change overnight.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be a man of great character but he stayed here because he didn't have any other options. No one wanted the guy.

I am happy that he has been pretty good for the Niners this year but he was pretty darn bad for a long time.

This year he stayed, but he also restructured his contract a few years ago. Even if that was so he didn't get cut, it's more than a lot of guys would do. This year, I honestly think he could have gone somewhere else. Maybe not as a starter, but there are far worse guys playing. Look at the guys playing for the Colts, Bears, Chiefs (until Orton)

Clyde... you're completely right about that. I was just saying.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This year he stayed, but he also restructured his contract a few years ago. Even if that was so he didn't get cut, it's more than a lot of guys would do. This year, I honestly think he could have gone somewhere else. Maybe not as a starter, but there are far worse guys playing. Look at the guys playing for the Colts, Bears, Chiefs (until Orton)

Clyde... you're completely right about that. I was just saying.

If people knew that Smith could be as efficient as he has been this year I think you are right. I am not sure that in the short offseason he would have been picked up at all, certainly not as someone to compete as a starter.

That being said, I like the guy a lot and I am happy that it is working out here for him.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people knew that Smith could be as efficient as he has been this year I think you are right. I am not sure that in the short offseason he would have been picked up at all, certainly not as someone to compete as a starter.

That being said, I like the guy a lot and I am happy that it is working out here for him.

He's an easy guy to root for. I'm glad he stayed as well. Would love to see him beat Rodgers in the playoffs for a trip to the show.