• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith vs Tim Tebow

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how Harbaugh can say he is a long term starter given his inaccuracy especially in the red zone.

Niners are where they are this year on the strength of their D more than on Smith.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Q: Do you think that Alex Smith is the long term quarterback for the 49ers as the starter?

HARBAUGH: “I do.”

Harbaugh says Smith is the 49ers long-term QB (Press Democrat)

Figured I'd add this here, instead of start it's own thread... since it sorta fits as Harbaugh thinks Smith is a Pro-Bowler.

Yeah, heading into the playoffs I would expect Harbaugh to answer that question as quickly and decisively as he did - I just hope the crap he doesn't mean it as decisively as he sounded.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, heading into the playoffs I would expect Harbaugh to answer that question as quickly and decisively as he did - I just hope the crap he doesn't mean it as decisively as he sounded.

Yeah, but, I don't think Harbaugh is the kind of guy to say something he doesn't actually believe.. he seems like a straight-shooter. It's not horrible news, it just means we as fans have to strap in for more team offense instead of QB-driven offense.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, but, I don't think Harbaugh is the kind of guy to say something he doesn't actually believe.. he seems like a straight-shooter. It's not horrible news, it just means we as fans have to strap in for more team offense instead of QB-driven offense.

In the conference...Smith ranks 6th in rating, 6th in completion percentage, 9th in yards, 15th in yards per game (minimum 9 games), 11th for average yards per completion, 7th for TDs...If Harbaugh thinks that is a Pro Bowl QB that is fine but I think he might be looking at Alex through Crimson colored glasses when he talks about things like the Pro Bowl and the future either that or he is just pumping up the confidence of his QB. A guy can be a motivator and exaggerate while still being a straight shooter.

FWIW...
I love the fact that he has few INTs and that the team is winning with him as QB and I have gone from wanting gone after last season to being OK with him being the starter next year.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can't compare a starting nfl qb to a running back who has skills to throw the ball..The patriots exposed tebow on sunday. Teams will start doing the same thing and tebow just needs to accept the fact that he is a running back not a qb

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh's no dummy. He knows exactly what's going on. He's kept training wheels on Alex Smith this year for the most part. Temporarily will let it out at times, but mostly protecting him as much as possible. You could see it in yesterday's game with the quick passing attack early which was good game planning but served to protect his QB. Case in point is on a key play in the redzone with the designed short pass to... Swain. If we have a QB Harbaugh really trusted, there's no way we see that designed play. We'd take a shot.

This over the top outlet through the media has the obviously purpose of boosting Alex' psyche. He has done this often this year, and it's been working to get the most out of his QB. Really can't knock it.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh's no dummy. He knows exactly what's going on. He's kept training wheels on Alex Smith this year for the most part. Temporarily will let it out at times, but mostly protecting him as much as possible. You could see it in yesterday's game with the quick passing attack early which was good game planning but served to protect his QB. Case in point is on a key play in the redzone with the designed short pass to... Swain. If we have a QB Harbaugh really trusted, there's no way we see that designed play. We'd take a shot.

This over the top outlet through the media has the obviously purpose of boosting Alex' psyche. He has done this often this year, and it's been working to get the most out of his QB. Really can't knock it.

Well said, CIO...

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May have missed this being posted somewhere on here, but its quite relevant to the topic at hand here.....

Steelers-49ers Monday Night Football Recap - Jeff Pearlman on Alex Smith - Esquire

It's a pretty clever attempt at trying to draw attention away from how much Tim Tebow fucking sucks as a Quarterback... by throwing attention on a guy surrounded by ridiculous misconceptions.

I can't believe this guy wrote this with sincerity, and it's pretty obvious that he's only saying these guys are great because it helps his argument that Smith sucks worse than Tebow... if asked in his circle of friends, he wouldn't take any of these players over the guys on his favorite team.

Blessed with Davis, as well as receivers Michael Crabtree and Ted Ginn and the otherworldly running of Frank Gore (as well as a coveted position in the NFC West, the most dreadful division in the recent history of organized sports)

I guess that is a hell of a blessing to have a TE who drops touchdowns, and jumps for passes thrown low... now, while Crabs seems to be getting better, he still isn't anywhere near a #1 WR.... and, I'll just be polite and keep my mouth shut about being blessed with Ted Ginn. Or, I'm just some moron who doesn't even watch 49ers games and I'm assuming these guys are magnificent because of their positions in the draft...

I pity the moron who buys this guy's classic trick of deflection.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A snarky little piece on Smith for sure. Some of its funny, some of its stupid. I don't think Pearlman has actually watched a 49er game other than the one last Monday night.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A snarky little piece on Smith for sure. Some of its funny, some of its stupid. I don't think Pearlman has actually watched a 49er game other than the one last Monday night.

I took it as a satire & humor piece, perhaps I interpreted it incorrectly..

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Wow, what a schmuck! It's pretty clear that's the first 49ers game he's watched this year. LOL @ him lavishing accolades on our dropsy WR corps. He even makes fun of Jaworski for giving AS a bit of praise. You might be unsurprised to know that I'll take the word of someone who's had years of success QBing on an NFL playing field over a petty, catty wordslinging hack like Pearlman who's never been close to taking a snap.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article was crap. I'm not saying that Smith is a great QB, but he deserves a lot of credit, and especially more than this guy is giving him. The article seemed like it was written by a fan, not by a member of the media.

jakea31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That article was crap. I'm not saying that Smith is a great QB, but he deserves a lot of credit, and especially more than this guy is giving him. The article seemed like it was written by a fan, not by a member of the media.

I agree. He was probably one of those people complaining that it was Smith's fault on his throw to Kyle Williams in the endzone, even though if Smith threw it where Williams was going it could have been intercepted. A good WR would have stayed put.

While Smith is not great, he is not a "fake," or whatever this schmuck called him. The only throw I can think of that made me mad was his throw to Crabtree in the endzone. Other than that (there might be more), he did not force too much to cost the game. It is a good level to build from, I just hope Smith can improve.

btw, good article to bring up for this thread. As you can see, it added to the debate.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He might be a man of great character but he stayed here because he didn't have any other options. No one wanted the guy.

Are you saying Smith would be bagging groceries if he didn't sign with the Niners?

Smith > Tebow

That Pearlman article was clearly written by a douche.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you saying Smith would be bagging groceries if he didn't sign with the Niners?

Smith > Tebow

That Pearlman article was clearly written by a douche.

I don't know if he would have been picked up and given a guaranteed roster spot prior to the season but I am sure he wouldn't have been given a shot to compete to start.

I'd rather have Smith too and Pearlman is a d-bag.