• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith QBR

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For this week was 98.2.. I like the QBR and I know some of you dont, but it gave Smith justice this week..

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Acc. to ESPN, Alex's rating in the TB game was the highest QBR rating for any QB in the NFL in any game so far this year.
Still not sold on its accuracy or significance.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet. Another one-liner Alex Smith thread.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Acc. to ESPN, Alex's rating in the TB game was the highest QBR rating for any QB in the NFL in any game so far this year.
Still not sold on its accuracy or significance.

Yeah, Smith had a very good game, but it wasn't close to perfect IMO. Still plenty of room for improvement.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did u want me to talk about how Alex Smith had a solid game? Honestly I felt that his game last week was more impressive. Yesterday it was truly a total team win. All asspects of our team were spot on. Smith did what he needed to do, not make big mistakes. I did feel that Smith made 2 or 3 poor throws and could have been picked 2 times easy. With that being said he made 2 or 3 real good throw and managed the game well. Still room for improvement but Smith is on the right path.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this just shows the flaws in qbr. qb rating while not perfect is a better measure. heck, we don't even know what's backed into the cake with qbr, but right now it doesn't seem very appetizing.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith QBR vs Bucs

interesting article right here. Apparently according to this not only did Alex Smith have the highest QBR of week 5 but he has the highest single game QBR of the hole NFL so far this year.

Smith leads 49ers to win and top QBR - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

Not to long ago if you told me things are going the way that there are going now I would say something like "yeah that will happen when pigs fly"

well guess what :flypig:

:D

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBR was ridiculous last week when Smith's QBR was 28, and it's still ridiculous as while Smith had a good game against the Bucs, it wasn't as good as his game against the Eagles when he had a QBR of 28.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ESPN Why QBR favored Tebow over Rodgers

Kind of goes a little more in depth about QBR. Although it does still confuse to as to how Tebow got a 80+ QBR for last weeks attempted comeback while Smith got a 20 somin for his COMEBACK. Only things I can see from it is that Alex got sacked alot, didnt make plays with his feet, and didnt score the comeback TD.

When you look at Tebow he made plays with his feet, wasnt sacked, and had them within 30 yrds of the winning score.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN Why QBR favored Tebow over Rodgers

Kind of goes a little more in depth about QBR. Although it does still confuse to as to how Tebow got a 80+ QBR for last weeks attempted comeback while Smith got a 20 somin for his COMEBACK. Only things I can see from it is that Alex got sacked alot, didnt make plays with his feet, and didnt score the comeback TD.

When you look at Tebow he made plays with his feet, wasnt sacked, and had them within 30 yrds of the winning score.

The fact that a QB can score so high with so few yards showed me long ago that it is a rate stat but why are they so afraid to show their work? It makes me wonder if there is a formula at all.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know what thread to put this in, but I liked Alex Smith's response to the question below.

Question:

Alex, I'm going to come back to a meaning question, so please bare with me. This season, last week, you're playing games that matter, in the past you weren't, how does it feel to play games that matter, and to be a team that matter?

Alex responded:

When you're in the locker room, when you're putting on the shoulder pads, they all matter. When you're stepping out there every Sunday, we've got the Niners on the front of our jersey, we've got our names on the back. We're playing for each other. You're playing for pride. I mean no wants to go out there- I think the fact that it's a meaningful game, it's not anything worth-they're all meaningful. I've been in years past, when yeah, it's week 14, and we're wtill in the hunt. It's like last year, 7-9 won the division. You're still in it late in the season. It's just not something players think about. Every time you strap on the that helmet, every time you put the shoulder pads on, and you walk into those lines and onto the field, it's enough as it is. You're playing for a lot. You're playing for your pride. You're playing for your job. There is a lot of things that go into that. So, I think all of a sudden the two teams' records, you're playing a football game trying to win

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, Smith had a very good game, but it wasn't close to perfect IMO. Still plenty of room for improvement.

3 TDs and 0 INTs in a win is very good, 170 yards takes a bit of luster off the performance.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 TDs and 0 INTs in a win is very good, 170 yards takes a bit of luster off the performance.

Not that it means much, but I look at the 170 yards as 205 because I figured he would have produced around the same as Kaep if not better. Of course, I know I can't actually do that because if he were in, maybe he'd have gotten a Td, or an INT, or maybe the only reason Kaep threw three times was because he hadn't thrown yet and Alex would have just handed off? Who knows. However, I don't like to complain about low yardage when the QB was taken out of the game with most of the quarter left and with no need to try and get more yards. I tend to give more credit to the defense and rest of the offense than remove luster or credit to the QB. Why should his performance look worse because the team (hence he) played better? But this is all minor stuff. I'm glad we won so completely and look forward to Sunday.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Warner ranks Smith as his #4 QB in the league right now.

NFL Videos: Warner's top 5 QBs

Torry Holt disagrees, not surprisingly. All this praise for the Niners is a bit worrisome to me. I just feel like they're going to jinx it....

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm going to focus on Alex Smith's yards and make that a negative after a win.

Then ignore that when you throw the ball less, for some strange reason... you usually get less yards. Hmmmmm, I don't understand how that works. How is it when you only complete 11 of 19 passes you end up with 170 yards instead of 500??

This is perplexing. I'm stumped. When he went 21 of 30 the week before he had 291 yards. So, by my way of thinking, when he completes even less passes... he should have more yards.

Yep, makes sense to me.

Off to Alex's house :lm:

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, I'm going to focus on Alex Smith's yards and make that a negative after a win.

Then ignore that when you throw the ball less, for some strange reason... you usually get less yards. Hmmmmm, I don't understand how that works. How is it when you only complete 11 of 19 passes you end up with 170 yards instead of 500??

This is perplexing. I'm stumped. When he went 21 of 30 the week before he had 291 yards. So, by my way of thinking, when he completes even less passes... he should have more yards.

Yep, makes sense to me.

Sweeeet!! Funny as hell!

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yep, makes sense to me.

I suppose that is a response to my post. This is a thread about Smith's QBR being the best of any single game QBR this season and I was responmding to a comment about a "perfect game". I am not perplexed or stumped in any way.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Steve Young on Smith, now:

49ers Blog and Q&A: Steve Young: Alex Smith is like an abused child

His perspective seems a bit more balanced. Smith has done well playing within himself and the team and not blowing games. Can he take the next step and be the guy who is winning games for us? The past two weeks are encouraging, but I find I'm still reluctant to believe Smith is for real just yet.