• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Ovechkin....Fatty

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesnt have much of a physique at all... kinda surprised.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, why is it that Russians never seem to be really "fit". I know hockey players aren't like juicers in football with a body type, but heck, Geno has to be on of the scrawniest looking guys ever.
evgeni-malkin-45.jpg

Doesn't seem like he can build muscle on that frame, haha

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, why is it that Russians never seem to be really "fit". I know hockey players aren't like juicers in football with a body type, but heck, Geno has to be on of the scrawniest looking guys ever.
evgeni-malkin-45.jpg

Doesn't seem like he can build muscle on that frame, haha

I have been lifting weights and playing sports for 15+ years now. Athletes are not built like body builders and vice versa. The workout routine is 180 degrees different, especially for hockey. Most of you would be sadly disappointed if you saw your favorite hockey player shirtless. These guys are no Brian Orakpo, and if they were they would be useless on the ice. Flexibility and core strength is much more important in hockey than big pecs and biceps.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been lifting weights and playing sports for 15+ years now. Athletes are not built like body builders and vice versa. The workout routine is 180 degrees different, especially for hockey. Most of you would be sadly disappointed if you saw your favorite hockey player shirtless. These guys are no Brian Orakpo, and if they were they would be useless on the ice. Flexibility and core strength is much more important in hockey than big pecs and biceps.

I know, but just saying there's some scrawny guys. It's like what they say about big guys who try to swim (think The Guardian), muscle doesn't swim, and it doesn't play hockey extremely well either. That said, guys like Geno could deal with putting on more muscle, but it really wouldn't matter unless he felt like hitting more.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, but just saying there's some scrawny guys. It's like what they say about big guys who try to swim (think The Guardian), muscle doesn't swim, and it doesn't play hockey extremely well either. That said, guys like Geno could deal with putting on more muscle, but it really wouldn't matter unless he felt like hitting more.

Malkin could add weight for sure, but if that pic is from later in the season it is kind of to be expected. In 33 game season with max 15 store games, I would routinely drop about 25 pounds in a year even when eating like a horse and lifting. As a football player, who turned to hockey it was OK because I had the build to bulk up. I could play at 220 (football weight) and drop to ~200 and be ok, but some of my teammates looked like Eastern European refugees atthe end of the season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I totally agree with you. The best hockey players are rarely "cut" like football or basketball players sometimes are and that's often a good thing.

That said, his production dipped a little last year - he was excellent, but not dominant. And while I don't think it's a big deal (think his numbers will move upward again), there was some speculation that he was not in top shape and was carrying some extra weight. It could have also been the wrist problem (shooting percentage was way off) or a number of other factors.

It's the offseason. He has the right to a little relaxation. But he doesn't look good in those pictures either and they certainly fit in with fan concerns from last season.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with you. The best hockey players are rarely "cut" like football or basketball players sometimes are and that's often a good thing.

That said, his production dipped a little last year - he was excellent, but not dominant. And while I don't think it's a big deal (think his numbers will move upward again), there was some speculation that he was not in top shape and was carrying some extra weight. It could have also been the wrist problem (shooting percentage was way off) or a number of other factors.

It's the offseason. He has the right to a little relaxation. But he doesn't look good in those pictures either and they certainly fit in with fan concerns from last season.

I agree, but my coach alwYs wanted us a bit bigger at the beginning of the season because he knew we would shed a lot of weight throughout (see post above), and I can only imagine what that is like in almost 100 games.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malkin could add weight for sure, but if that pic is from later in the season it is kind of to be expected. In 33 game season with max 15 store games, I would routinely drop about 25 pounds in a year even when eating like a horse and lifting. As a football player, who turned to hockey it was OK because I had the build to bulk up. I could play at 220 (football weight) and drop to ~200 and be ok, but some of my teammates looked like Eastern European refugees atthe end of the season.

Yeah, great point, that was the very end of the season, so if he's lifting at all it's just to maintain (in season that's basically your goal). Hockey season is a very tough one due to it's length, to keep up with fitness. Alex could be beefing up muscularly (it really does look like muscle mass not fat mass)...I mean, now's when you focus on hypertrophy anyway.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for your swimming comment, did you ever see the episode of Dhani Tackles the Globe where he tried water polo? He is a jacked NFL linebacker and well....it was hilarious :D

Hah, no, haven't seen that. Wish I had.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These dudes should still be in tip top shape... Thats just unacceptable for athletes making millions a year.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Seguin is in better shape than both OV and Malkin, kinda sad coming from a nineteen year old.