• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ALDS: The Texas Rangers host the Toronto Blue Jays!

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope we can get the lead at some point and see if we can protect it. We have never lead and have been behind in about 90% of the innings in this series. Another thing I'm wondering, if the worst case scenario happens, and this team is trailing big in game 3. Do you guys think the Jays will throw at some of our guys, especially roogie? It could get really ugly up there given the trashy ass fan base and classless team we are playing, it is imperative that we are at least in a close game so they don't try any shenanigans.

To get ahead and bring in the pen in the 6th maybe needed. I love Colby but he is coming off injury and not hot now.if we get get a lead early and he looks like he does not have it. Bring in the pen even Claudio to get a couple to you get to winning pieces. This may be the formula. Of course I hope Colby has that magic slider working. And yes NO SWEEP

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to many minor league players as backups that can't hit. While other teams have major league players that can. We have some players that I don't want to ever see in our dugout again.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to many minor league players as backups that can't hit. While other teams have major league players that can. We have some players that I don't want to ever see in our dugout again.

Hoying?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like other non big market teams. Lose a lot and not trade for post season pieces. The Cubs have been a work in progress for over 6 years now. Got to the point where they developed their own and had enough left over to trade. Astros went a similar route but it has not worked out for them.

JD is committed to keeping competitive every season. Can't blame him. You don't fill seats and generate income by having perennial shat teams.

Various teams like the Giants and Cardinals also don't make multimillion deals with aging players. They seem to keep the very good, trade off some expensive pieces and keep their farm going.

Frankly hard to point out one program that works best. The big market teams seem to be able to keep balance aka SF, St Louis and Boston. KC is somewhat like us and was able to capitalize on their window of opportunity two years straight and win one WS. We had a similar window 2010-2011.

What helped with KC was they had 4 SPs who could get them 6 innings in the playoffs and hand it over to a nails BP. Frankly that was our expectations going into the playoffs. Unfortunately, so far our SP could not do so and our bats have showed little.

Off to Toronto for our beloved Rangers, where we hope the worm will turn.
How about one really good pitcher to start with. lol I am not asking to fill out a whole rotation of home grown talent. I used to think Feliz and Holland were going to be those guys and then maybe Perez. We traded for Harrison when he was just about developed already. We don't have to pump them out the way Tampa Bay has over the years, but I would like to get way more than we are getting starting pitching-wise from our player development.

Long term maybe a goal of the following. Growing your own for a #1 and a #3. Acquiring a #2 starter via trade. Then cheaper free agents or much cheaper trades for the 4 and 5 guys. I don't think that is too much to ask for and still entertain the fans on a regular basis. Of course that means continuing to bring along at least 2 good pitchers in your upper levels that will be able to take over for those #1 and #3 spots. Guys like Luke Jackson, Chi Chi, Martinez, Renaudo and the like are not to be relied on in that scenario except for trade bait.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason we got the noon game and it has its self fulfilling effect. We have never won anything and although we a re a bigger market than Tampa we pale to Sox nation. That and there were not 49,000 at that game and a far cry. Seats were open. It just shows what Josh said was correct. Rangers behind Cowboys. Now I am all in on the Rangers so this stings me like no other sports loss but that is not the case for most or many for that matter. This is a site for the diehards. But to get some national respect and prim time exposure we will have to win it all. Still on my bucket list

Yes we as a city can not afford to tank like ChiSox did and it really did not matter for Houston who were pretty awful and decided to push the tank button. It really is pitiful and I don't respect it.

We have never played to lose and sometimes that is what it takes to get a pick like Bregman or develop an ace But that is for another post
What Josh said wasn't correct when you look at the details of what he said. He claimed that we once had a smaller home crowd for a Friday night game during HS football season than we did for the previous night. That never happened during anytime that he could have been talking about it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoying, Delino and Alberto.
Too bad we let Odubel go so we could choose Delino in the draft. Those kind of decisions have hurt us at times.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up already?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope it's not over Sunday. Would feel like we weren't even in the playoffs. If this team has any pride, they will win tomorrow. Going 0-3 is just embarassing.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok...... today ( Sunday) is the day where something positive happens for this team while the Jays and their fans will be nervous for the first time in this series.

Recipe for success:

1) I think we need Colby to put up a zero the first 2 innings so that the team can settle in and just play. Don't let the jays feed off the crowd and blow everything up.

2) we need to score first. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Rangers have not had the lead the entire series. Obviously that must change.

3) minimize walks. A big reason I wanted to avoid this team is that if the umpire is squeezing the pitcher ( like Darvish was squeezed) the Jays will be even more patient and try to work walks to set up a 3 run bomb or huge hit with guys on base. Our staff has been very susceptible to the walk this year.

4) Colby needs to keep it close the first 5 innings. The Jays have thrived by beating up on our starters. Give the bullpen a chance to pitch meaningful innings.

5) make Sanchez work. For the most part, I think the hitters have been over anxious in this series. Part of the reason for that is we have been trailing most of the series and they have been pressing, but still not a good approach.

6) play loose. Yes it is win or go home, but this team is still alive and if they pull off a win tomorrow the Rangers would be halfway towards getting out of Toronto alive and would get what I would call a toss up pitching matchup in game 4 with 2 streaky pitchers. The guys most play like they have nothing to lose.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could get really ugly up there given the trashy ass fan base and classless team we are playing, it is imperative that we are at least in a close game so they don't try any shenanigans.

Heh, holy hell.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of never ever quit maybe Banny needs to change it to something like score early and never get behind.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's Go Rangers!!!!!

Not much to comment on. Need a win.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6:30 start. May be flipping on all sorts of channels tonight. Don't know what to expect. Go Rangers!!!

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Rangers ...obligatory checkin.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby Lewis.......Last line of defense. Make a stand Colby!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Joe West again