• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ALDS: The Texas Rangers host the Toronto Blue Jays!

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-for-18 with RISP. That will get you beat against the Twins and Braves, much less any playoff team.

Lucroy and Beltran have been absolute no-shows.

dunmysr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Jays also get rewarded with a prime-time game start time as well for their game 3 at home. Lucky them.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some personal feelings and observations. I understand some won't agree with some of these things or maybe not any of them.

I guess we should have paid attention more to how we won in the regular season so we wouldn't get our hopes up for the postseason. We came from behind a lot to win and we won a lot of one run games. It was easy to see that as meaning we had a lot of grit and never gave up. What was missed was that we also fell behind a lot and we barely won a lot of games because we could barely outscore our opponents. That is a recipe for a losing postseason.

I have no idea what the answer is and I am really not in the mood to even think about it too much. I know next year it doesn't matter to me if we win 115 games in the regular season. Until we can get much further in the postseason then I don't even care if we make the postseason. I will be a fan even in the regular season of course, but I am not going to get excited by regular season success any longer.

I will also not buy into the argument that run differential is unimportant. It isn't a be-all-end-all type of stat, but it is important as an indicator of how your offense and pitching are going.

We have very little clutch offense and no aces even though we have two number one regular season pitchers.

Every year like this one that turns into disappointment just makes Game 6 hurt even more.

Also, despite Crawler looking like he called this, I believe we would be looking just as poorly against most every other MLB playoff team. I don't think this is just because we are playing the Blue Jays.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all thought they would kick it into an extra gear once the playoffs started, but what we've seen from them these last 2 games is exactly what we saw from them against the A's, Brewers, and Rays over the last 2 weeks. They've lost that competitive edge and confidence they had a while back where they were coming through in tight spots.

They're going to have to re-discover it pretty quickly on the flight to Toronto. I have a feeling Colby will ether pitch a total gem and will the team to victory, turning the series around, or he will get bombed and the offense will fail again. In other words, either a fantastic game for the Rangers or a total failure and nothing in between.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last observation I will make...

It seems as though lately we have one inning each game that just absolutely dooms us on both sides of the ball. Darvish pitched pretty well, but he had the one meltdown inning where the Jays hit 3 HR. And although I can't pick just one from this game (because there were many), it seems like we've been having that one inning where the offense is on the verge of breaking through and really putting up big numbers and changing the tide (multiple runners on, 0-1 outs, big bats coming up, pitcher seemingly on the ropes), and we somehow come away with 0 runs. That is just so deflating.

We've got to start avoiding the meltdown innings. Pitchers need to limit the damage and hitters need to start inflicting it when given the chance.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some personal feelings and observations. I understand some won't agree with some of these things or maybe not any of them.

Also, despite Crawler looking like he called this, I believe we would be looking just as poorly against most every other MLB playoff team. I don't think this is just because we are playing the Blue Jays.

I'm not giving up on this team. Unfortunately, we have played these bastards 2 years in a row. In the 7 playoff games we have played, the road team is 6-1. Keep in mind, that if we could somehow get game 3 then game 4 would be a toss up with the pitching matchup being Stroman vs. Perez. Stroman was on my fantasy team this year. It seemed like he was either dominant or he stunk. Not really any in between.

I think the matchup does matter because I doubt the Orioles and Indians would have pummeled our starters in the way that the blue Jays did. The Jays drew walks, hit home runs, and got big hits. The Orioles and Indians have a more aggressive hitting style and would've swung at some pitches that weren't strikes. I didn't see the games, but I got the impression that the umpire calling balls and strikes had a notable impact on both. Have to give credit to Estrada for pitching a gem, I doubt the Indians or Orioles have a pitcher who would've done that well. Anyway, series is not over yet, if these guys have any pride they won't let the Blue Jays sweep. That would just be downright pathetic.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not giving up on this team. Unfortunately, we have played these bastards 2 years in a row. In the 7 playoff games we have played, the road team is 6-1. Keep in mind, that if we could somehow get game 3 then game 4 would be a toss up with the pitching matchup being Stroman vs. Perez. Stroman was on my fantasy team this year. It seemed like he was either dominant or he stunk. Not really any in between.

I think the matchup does matter because I doubt the Orioles and Indians would have pummeled our starters in the way that the blue Jays did. The Jays drew walks, hit home runs, and got big hits. The Orioles and Indians have a more aggressive hitting style and would've swung at some pitches that weren't strikes. I didn't see the games, but I got the impression that the umpire calling balls and strikes had a notable impact on both. Have to give credit to Estrada for pitching a gem, I doubt the Indians or Orioles have a pitcher who would've done that well. Anyway, series is not over yet, if these guys have any pride they won't let the Blue Jays sweep. That would just be downright pathetic.
We have had pitchers from a lot of teams this year that have owned us. I really think the problem is on our end and not on the mound. What is happening to us now also happened several times during the regular season.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is shitty. I guess it sets up for us to do to the Jays what they did to us last season but it's a long shot.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess we should have paid attention more to how we won in the regular season so we wouldn't get our hopes up for the postseason. We came from behind a lot to win and we won a lot of one run games. It was easy to see that as meaning we had a lot of grit and never gave up. What was missed was that we also fell behind a lot and we barely won a lot of games because we could barely outscore our opponents. That is a recipe for a losing postseason.

I have no idea what the answer is and I am really not in the mood to even think about it too much. I know next year it doesn't matter to me if we win 115 games in the regular season. Until we can get much further in the postseason then I don't even care if we make the postseason. I will be a fan even in the regular season of course, but I am not going to get excited by regular season success any longer.

I will also not buy into the argument that run differential is unimportant. It isn't a be-all-end-all type of stat, but it is important as an indicator of how your offense and pitching are going.

We have very little clutch offense and no aces even though we have two number one regular season pitchers.

Every year like this one that turns into disappointment just makes Game 6 hurt even more.

Good points all.

I had no expectations for a deep October run. Why? Because we haven't looked like a playoff baseball team since the end of June. Anyone thinking some magical switch was going to be flipped was thinking with their heart, not their head. 44-40 to finish the season. Much of that against a bad AL West. And yes, of course run differential matters. Those who don't get that just don't understand the game.

I would have been more surprised to see us win any series, not just against the Jays, in this postseason. I'm not sure we'd beat the Rays or As in a playoff series right now. We're just not a good team right now. Haven't been for a few months.

Our "aces" are , well, lets just say, not "aces". Any average pitcher with a good change-up shuts us down, pretty much every time. And JDs prized midseason acquisitions have been complete no shows.

This 95 win season is going to end Sunday amidst a champagne celebration in Toronto. Which sucks because I really do hate the Jays. And the best revenge is winning, and all that crap...

These October turds the Rangers are laying is getting old. And I agree with Saddles, great regular seasons don't mean a thing really anymore.

But if everyone just took off their blinders, they would have seen this one coming a mile away.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The offense is in a funk and the starters haven't pitched worth a shit lately aside from a decent start from Perez and Darvish towards the end. The Indians would be pummeling us the same way they are beating up the Red Sox. Kluber, Bauer and the other Indians pitchers would probably be doing the same thing to the Rangers hitters that most of the rest of the leagues pitchers have done lately. Rangers get 1 run in the first 5 innings and then a couple more in the late innings and they lose buy a couple runs. I don't remember when they jumped on a SP early and scored 4-5 runs in the first couple innings. Baltimore lost the WC play in game but they really weren't a playoff team to me. I think we would be losing to all the other post season teams the same way we are losing to the Blu Jays, with our starters giving up HR's and our offense not hitting any HR's.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I can't emphasize enough the lack of SP on this team. Hamels has been awful for 6 weeks now. And Darvish isn't anywhere as good a pitcher as he himself or many Ranger fans believe. Darvish is going to ask for the world in his next deal. I really do hope that JD has enough sense to let him walk. Because I can promise you that while Yu Darvish is a "good" pitcher, he's nowhere near as good as the money he is going to want. Both are flawed pitchers with a little bit of "prima donna" syndrome. Both can be dominant. But these last two games speak volumes. With the lights the brightest, they both completely collapsed.

And lets stop blaming umpires. Our guys just weren't good enough.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points all.

I had no expectations for a deep October run. Why? Because we haven't looked like a playoff baseball team since the end of June. Anyone thinking some magical switch was going to be flipped was thinking with their heart, not their head. 44-40 to finish the season. Much of that against a bad AL West. And yes, of course run differential matters. Those who don't get that just don't understand the game.

I would have been more surprised to see us win any series, not just against the Jays, in this postseason. I'm not sure we'd beat the Rays or As in a playoff series right now. We're just not a good team right now. Haven't been for a few months.

Our "aces" are , well, lets just say, not "aces". Any average pitcher with a good change-up shuts us down, pretty much every time. And JDs prized midseason acquisitions have been complete no shows.

This 95 win season is going to end Sunday amidst a champagne celebration in Toronto. Which sucks because I really do hate the Jays. And the best revenge is winning, and all that crap...

These October turds the Rangers are laying is getting old. And I agree with Saddles, great regular seasons don't mean a thing really anymore.

But if everyone just took off their blinders, they would have seen this one coming a mile away.

You have to win ball games to make it to the post season. There is that.

Derek Jeter once said great teams make the playoffs but once in the playoffs hot teams win series.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were trash today. It's ok for a HP ump to get the corners wrong consistently. He's human. But inconsistency is shat. That is what the HP ump was today specifically for Rangers pitchers. Yu was hitting the outside and inside corners sharply and when he did not get the calls he started nodding off Lucroy and lo and behold dingers.

Perhaps the BJs did a good scouting of the umpire crew and we did not. It's pathetic teams would even have to do that but it seems the BJs knew exactly where the strike zone was for these umps and we did not or ignored it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Derek Jeter once said great teams make the playoffs but once in the playoffs hot teams win series.

True and winning the most games does not automatic make you the best team.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I can't emphasize enough the lack of SP on this team. Hamels has been awful for 6 weeks now. And Darvish isn't anywhere as good a pitcher as he himself or many Ranger fans believe. Darvish is going to ask for the world in his next deal. I really do hope that JD has enough sense to let him walk. Because I can promise you that while Yu Darvish is a "good" pitcher, he's nowhere near as good as the money he is going to want. Both are flawed pitchers with a little bit of "prima donna" syndrome. Both can be dominant. But these last two games speak volumes. With the lights the brightest, they both completely collapsed.

I'd set Yu down this off season and ask him if he wants to re up with us or test free agency. If it's the latter, I'd trade his butt for the best deal we can. May set us back a year but we got to find a true ace in waiting on some plump farm team whose team thinks they are a pitcher away from a WS. Just don't think Yu and Cole are the pitchers to take us the promised land. JDs got to figure something out pretty soon. Cole's prime may have past and we don't know what to expect from Yu's health. Hate to see Yu just walk.

Tough day!

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he doesn't it's your fault. LOL have a good time

Back from the park. Ouch. Backs against the wall. Hare the first HR but 3 in one inning. SMH. And 13 LOB unacceptable. From vantage point in stands it seems ump Gabe Happ the low and away pitches Sure there are som opinions on this while I catch up on posts.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back from the park. Ouch. Backs against the wall. Hare the first HR but 3 in one inning. SMH. And 13 LOB unacceptable. From vantage point in stands it seems ump Gabe Happ the low and away pitches Sure there are som opinions on this while I catch up on posts.
We lost not because of the ump but he was absolutely horrific.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last observation I will make...

It seems as though lately we have one inning each game that just absolutely dooms us on both sides of the ball. Darvish pitched pretty well, but he had the one meltdown inning where the Jays hit 3 HR. And although I can't pick just one from this game (because there were many), it seems like we've been having that one inning where the offense is on the verge of breaking through and really putting up big numbers and changing the tide (multiple runners on, 0-1 outs, big bats coming up, pitcher seemingly on the ropes), and we somehow come away with 0 runs. That is just so deflating.

We've got to start avoiding the meltdown innings. Pitchers need to limit the damage and hitters need to start inflicting it when given the chance.

Yu got frustrated by a call from what I saw at least once, fell behind 2-0 and gave it up. Yu started out with heat early. 97 but velo came down and they blistered a few FBs. Balls with trajectory did not carry well but those line shot homers made it out without dying

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I think too. We have won a lot of games but did not play well but made key plays. Cole had a good first half but has looked bad for a while. Not a good recipe for postseason. Heard on radio he looks like he is having lower body issues perhaps knee injury and can't find a a consistent rhythm / throwing motion.

Yes we are going to need better pitching. Our 2 "aces" although Cole has proven this in the past and Yu has more talent...they both failed us. Not sure I would pull the plug though. Perez has talent but has not delivered consistently. Dutch can not be the same Dutch. So yeah we will be SP shopping and likely via trade. BUT.......

The series is not over and maybe we can get hot although we sure aren't today. All those men left on base. Sheesh