• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon stepping away from team

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once he gets out of rehab he still has the court case to deal with in November. Word is he is looking at a 3 game suspension. So would he miss those 3 games this season or next? Basically it is Lemonade time. I'm hoping he takes over and keeps Skuta on the bench.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The problem with this theory is that one has nothing to do with the other. The Niners can't suspend him without pay; Goodell can.

All the Niners can do it give him a paid vacation while Goodell decides his punishment. I hope it's at least 6 games to wake his ass up because a vacation isn't going to do it IMO.

Are you suggesting that going to a rehab facility is like a vacation?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon Smith - LB - 49ers

A source tells ESPN's Ed Werder there's no timetable for 49ers OLB Aldon Smith's stint away from the team.

"We want him to be treated as a person, not as a player," the source said. "It's not like he's going to be magically cured in a month. If the problem is serious enough, a month might not be enough. The only timetable on this is him getting well." Smith can be safely ruled out for the next two games, but it wouldn't be shocking if he were held out through the 49ers' Week 9 bye. We don't expect that, but there's no way to truly know how long the 49ers' gifted but troubled young pass rusher will be away.
Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

Sep 24 - 4:55 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Are you suggesting that going to a rehab facility is like a vacation?

No, I'm saying that letting Aldon not play football while he gets paid for not playing football is the definition of a paid vacation.

My point is that I'm more concerned about how much money Aldon loses than I am about how much playing time he loses because the former will be what makes him remember not to be a dumbass.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the best for him. He's 22, still has plenty to learn, but admitting you have a problem is the first step. I hope he is sincere in wanting to better himself.

He turns 24 tomorrow. Other than that, I agree with everything else you have said. I wish he didn't play on Sunday, because it's analogous to someone essentially getting a DUI on his way to work and his employer pretended as if nothing has happened.

As part of my rotation, I used to be involved with patients who were enrolled in a substance abuse program. Aldon would have to obviously seek counseling, seek help and perhaps medication (antabuse?) from a physician, and take part in weekly group sessions with others who have had alcohol dependence problems. There is no timetable, and it's conceivable that Aldon Smith could miss the entire season. The one month timetable is more of a generous estimate but he could miss more time than that.

Twenty five years ago, Chris Mullin of the GSW dealt with an alcohol problem and eventually became an Olympian in the famed "Dream Team". What was important then and what is important now with Aldon and all of these cases is that it's significant to save the player's life and then you can save his career.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to troll too much, but a take here:

First, if the dude needs help, then the most important thing is he does what he is doing, period. Better for all including society.

On a football note, there is reason to be worried. Rehab breaks a person down. This is good for recovery. It will make him a better person. However, he very well may not come back the same player. (I.E. look at Tiger Woods). The feeling that you are indestructable, and on top of the world and king of it actually helps a lot of players in their craft. Aldon is about to have to admit to a lot, get broken down, and then bring himself back up.

He may come out of this a better person (if he is serious) but you well may have lost him as the player he was for good.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hearing stories that this DOES NOT count as a league suspension and they will still do their part.. So is or could he be out 8 games total. 4 for 9ers suspension and 4 from the league??

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hearing stories that this DOES NOT count as a league suspension and they will still do their part.. So is or could he be out 8 games total. 4 for 9ers suspension and 4 from the league??

I think that would be obvious since the 49ers are barred from suspending him for substance abuse problems. Something more should definitely be coming down from the league once the courts finish with Smith.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
After he comes back so he can miss more time:lame:

No, so he can NOT be paid when he's not playing.

The only thing that's going to get through to his thick skull is getting hit in the wallet. Sending him on a paid vacation is not going to do the trick.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, so he can NOT be paid when he's not playing.

The only thing that's going to get through to his thick skull is getting hit in the wallet. Sending him on a paid vacation is not going to do the trick.

I agree which is why they should not be paying him. Now he's gonna get time off paid then come back get time off unpaid

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not a vacation Sickness. But I feel you about the money.

It's paid leave. Most people would kill to get paid leave. Heck, I'll go through rehab myself if I'm getting paid for it. Goodell needs to get off his ass and make a friggn' ruling about his suspension.

I'm hoping for 6 games, but it's probably going to be 1 to 4.