• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't for Ginn's fumble we would've held the Saints offense, in the SuperDome, to 7 points. You don't think the pass-rush had anything to do with that? He put pressure on Brees, but didn't quite close in the first half. In the 2nd half we made adjustments and just put a pounding on him.

I'll ask you once again, is it possible for you to be anymore clueless?

If you saw the pass rush as effective in the first half then you should be asking yourself that question. Now the second half....that was more like it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st play of the game at the NO 26 - Sopoaga comes unblocked up the middle and gets to Brees at the 15 but Brees stiff-armed him and Sopoaga fell off (2-yard completion to Thomas).

Two plays later, 3rd and 8, Ray Ray stunts around Justin and Aldon and forced Brees to step up into the pocket. As Brees stepped up, he was forced to get rid of the ball over the middle because Aldon came free after Justin occupied two blockers. Brees threw at the feet of Thomas, who had fallen down after Willis knocked him down within 5 yards of the LOS.

----

Next drive - 3rd and 4 from the NO 16 yard line. Brees from the shotgun. Willis blitzes off the defense's right side, forcing the FB to come pick him up. Willis got good depth into the pocket on the rush and Brees had to quickly get rid of the ball because of him. Brees couldn't step into the throw because of Willis' pressure (1-yard pass to Sproles). Punt on the following play.

----

Next drive. Brees' first three attempts were not pressured, partially because two of came on 3-man rushes and Brees got rid of the ball quickly.

2nd and 8 from the SF 15, Brees threw a quick slant in 1.53 seconds to an open Moore for a 7-yard gain. On the play Aldon stunted around and got in the throwing lane of Brees but the throw got off too quickly again.

A couple plays later, on 2nd and goal from the SF 6, Brees rolled out and in almost 2 seconds threw over Ray Ray and Brooks to Thomas for the TD (Ray Ray beat his block, Brooks was let go by Thomas). Once again, too quick of a throw but a nice shed from Ray Ray to get in the throwing lane.

----

Next drive. 13:55 in the 2nd quarter. 1st attempt he threw in 1.46 seconds to Colston for about a 5-yard gain shy of the first down to set up a 3rd and 3.
Two plays later, 2nd and 7 from the NO 35, Brooks beats the RT, forcing Brees to ride up into the pocket (2 steps) and then quickly dumped underneath to Ingram shy of the first but he was covered by Goldson VERY tight. Goldson broke up the pass setting up a 3rd and 7.

On 3rd down Brees got rid of the ball in 2.16 seconds just as Aldon beat the RT's block. Nice, quick throw again that was on the money for the first.

Couple of plays later, this time from the SF 46-yard line. Willis was the 4th rusher up the middle and was picked up nicely by the C. Willis tried spinning but he couldn't get off the block as could nobody else on the edges. This was probably the first time in the first half where you could say Brees had all day to throw. Completed the pass to Thomas for about 7 yards (penalty on SF declined).

Two plays later, 2nd and 10 from the SF 39. Brooks beats the RT around the edge with a speed rush, forcing Brees to step up again into the pocket. Brees way overthrows the receiver in the endzone.

One play later, 3rd and 10. Bowman blitzes up the middle untouched and almost sacked Brees for a 10-yard loss and then again for almost a 15-yard loss but Brees escaped and threw the ball away somehow but was called for intentional grounding. Great call by Fangio and company.

Ginn muffed the punt here after the punt.

----

Next drive after the muffed punt. 1st and 10 from the SF 11. 49ers rush only 3 again and Brees just dumps off a short, quick pass (no pressure) to Sproles in the flat where Aldon takes him down for a 1-yard loss.

Next play Brees fires to Colston in 1.7 seconds on a back shoulder throw for a TD. 49ers rushed 4 but the throw again was too quick. GREAT throw that Brees makes on a routine basis with his receivers when they get in the red.

----

49ers punt to NO with 3:38 in the half. Punt to the NO 10.

2nd and 6. Brees takes another shotgun snap. 49ers rush 5 (Willis being the 5th rusher). Willis beats the RG inside but after Brees quickly dumped another quick pass off to Graham just shy of the 1st for a 5-yard gain. Good bull rush by Justin on this play, not giving Brees alot of room to step into. Nice play by Brees to make an accurate throw.

Couple plays later the Saints were forced to punt back to the 49ers with 1:53 left in the half. Kaepernick throws the INT with 38 seconds remaining.

-----

Drive starts at the NO 44-yard line.

Brees in the shotgun again. 49ers only rush 3 on first play. Aldon was doubled after almost getting off another block and Justin dropped back after engaging his man, so it became a 2 man rush. Brees releases ball in 2.93 seconds and completes to Henderso, but he was out of bounds when he caught it. GREAT throw by Brees again after the 49ers didn't attempt to rush him.

Next play, 2nd and 10, 49ers rush 3 again. Justin with another bull rush that was collapsing the pocket but before there was any real pressure, Brees got rid of the ball quickly again and threw the pick to Brooks for the TD return.

That was the last action of the half.

-------

So, once again I have NO clue what you saw and I ask anybody to correct anything they think I have wrong, but I think it's pretty clear that the 49ers did get to Brees in the first half a number of times. It was just another Drew Brees performance. Manipulating the pocket nicely at times and getting rid of the ball out quickly to his receivers, as well as the 49ers choosing to sit back a number of times and play coverage in that 2nd quarter.

You wasted all that space and pointed out just one time that the 49ers got a hand on Brees? You made yourself look like a fool, Chris. Just stop.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you saw the pass rush as effective in the first half then you should be asking yourself that question. Now the second half....that was more like it.

How many drop backs in the first half did Drew Brees have more than 3 seconds to throw?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I want to emphasize that I said the 49ers got to Brees in the first half. I didn't say the 49ers continually hit him or punished him in the first half. They did get to him. They just didn't hit him or knock him down as much as one would like, but that's incredibly hard to do and next to impossible when Brees gets rid of the ball as quickly as he does or as quick as he did in the first half yesterday.

Then why foolishly attack my post that said "Brees didn't get touched" I never said they brought no pressure I said they never touched him. You pretty much confirmed my statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then why foolishly attack my post that said "Brees didn't get touched" I never said they brought no pressure I said they never touched him. You pretty much confirmed my statement.

he, as well as the rest of the pass rush, was non existant in the first half of the N.O. game. I don't think Brees even got touched.

Nice try.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You wasted all that space and pointed out just one time that the 49ers got a hand on Brees? You made yourself look like a fool, Chris. Just stop.

So schooling you makes him look foolish? I'm trying to keep up.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon will be very close!! I think he will get every opportunity to tie or break the sack record! Stay Healthy Aldon and the Defense!! Go 49ers!!:fencing:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he, as well as the rest of the pass rush, was non existant in the first half of the N.O. game. I don't think Brees even got touched.

Nice try.

You quoted me exactly. Brees was not touched. Are you off your meds or something. Someone take the shovel away from Chris.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You quoted me exactly. Brees was not touched. Are you off your meds or something. Someone take the shovel away from Chris.

You admitted when you first replied to pozz's evisceration of your statement that he was touched. Now you're saying he wasn't?

And what about the first part of what you said, the part pozz put in bold? Are you just pretending that part doesn't exist? Here it is again:

he, as well as the rest of the pass rush, was non existant in the first half of the N.O. game

Is it your argument that if the QB is not touched, the pass rush is non-existent? If so, you may have to re-evaluate the way you feel about our OL, because Kaep yesterday did not get touched much, although I would say he faced a fair amount of pressure.