• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that plays any role in their projections. FWIW, Steamer is a bit more optimistic on Rizzo (.241/.339/.449, 125 wRC+). I imagine his age and his meh 2020-21 seasons dampen his projections a bit. He did increase his launch angle and had a career high flyball rate, it wouldn't shock me if his power numbers are in line with 2022 and he beats his projections

Yeah, he's pretty much a lock for 25-30 HR, but it seems like 80% of his groundballs went right into the 1b shift.

I'm optimistic those balls will be touching outfield grass this year.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's pretty much a lock for 25-30 HR, but it seems like 80% of his groundballs went right into the 1b shift.

I'm optimistic those balls will be touching outfield grass this year.
it will be interesting to see how much BA goes up all ova mlb

But the most famous shift was used against Ted Williams, first in 1941 and later (and more famously) in 1946 and afterward. It's generally believed that Indians player-manager Lou Boudreau invented the shift -- it was even called "the Boudreau Shift" -- but as Glenn Stout notes in Red Sox Century, the first to use a shift against Williams was White Sox manager Jimmy Dykes, on July 23, 1941.

"... [W]hen Williams came to bat," Stout writes, "Dykes moved his shortstop into shallow right center, moved his third baseman into the vacant hole at short, and put all three outfielders on the right side of the field... But it didn't work... Facing the shift in the seventh inning he punched the ball to left field and loped into second base as the White Sox chased down the bounding ball. Dykes never used it again.":suds:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox get OF Adam Duval for $7m (bonuses up to $10m)...

But they still need an IF....

Hell, I'd argue the Red Sox still need another outfielder. Duvall's coming off a season with an 87 OPS+. He does bring a decent glove.

I'm very excited to see what Yoshida can do, but calling him a prospect is a stretch. He's 29 and played 6 full seasons in the Japanese Pacific League.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloom loves gambling... and finding needles in haystacks... Like Alfaro... Do they really need 3 back-up catchers?

Sign a bunch of has-beens, haven't-yet-been, coming-off-injury players and hope one or two of them have a breakout year.... Some years end up like 2020 and some like 2021...

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I'd argue the Red Sox still need another outfielder. Duvall's coming off a season with an 87 OPS+. He does bring a decent glove.

I'm very excited to see what Yoshida can do, but calling him a prospect is a stretch. He's 29 and played 6 full seasons in the Japanese Pacific League.
dont forget he had wrist surgery end of last year and this tidbit

He’s going to strike out, a lot.​

Duvall is one of the classic victims of swinging for the fences and missing the pitch half the time. For his career, Duvall has a strikeout rate of 28.5 percent, well above the league average of 21.9 percent.

While many players often defend their K rates with above average walk rates, the same can’t be said for Duvall, whose 6.7 percent walk rate is below the MLB average of 8.3 percent.

While Duvall isn’t going to strike out as much as guys like Joey Gallo, he isn’t going to walk as much as them either, which has led him to having a just alright career OPS of .755. :suds:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont forget he had wrist surgery end of last year and this tidbit

He’s going to strike out, a lot.​

Duvall is one of the classic victims of swinging for the fences and missing the pitch half the time. For his career, Duvall has a strikeout rate of 28.5 percent, well above the league average of 21.9 percent.

While many players often defend their K rates with above average walk rates, the same can’t be said for Duvall, whose 6.7 percent walk rate is below the MLB average of 8.3 percent.

While Duvall isn’t going to strike out as much as guys like Joey Gallo, he isn’t going to walk as much as them either, which has led him to having a just alright career OPS of .755. :suds:

best case scenario IMO is he keeps his BA around .230 and slugs near .500, but he'll be hard pressed to get his OBP above .300. I think he's good as a 4th outfielder, but not an ideal everyday outfielder. It'll be interesting to see how much outfield Kiké plays versus infield.

Sox are interested in Josh Harrison. I'd be cool with him. Versatile and he's got a 101 OPS+ the last two years.

Last edited:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that Taylor is anything special, but Mondesi is NEVER healthy…and can’t get on base when he is.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that Taylor is anything special, but Mondesi is NEVER healthy…and can’t get on base when he is.

So much raw potential though if he can ever get his shit together. And they only gave up a middle of the bullpen guy.

I like the trade for the Sox.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much raw potential though if he can ever get his shit together. And they only gave up a middle of the bullpen guy.

I like the trade for the Sox.
Taylor was on the fence to get cut anyway, so no big loss. I just have my doubts that Mondesi can stay on the field. Nice tools when he was younger, for sure.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Red Sox acquired SS Adalberto Mondesi and a player to be named later from the Royals for LHP Josh Taylor.​

Among the most polarizing hitters in the fantasy landscape, Mondesi possesses stratospheric stolen base upside, but omnipresent injuries have kept him from reaching his astronomical power/speed combo potential. The 27-year-old speedster has been limited to just 50 games combined over the last two seasons and is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. He'll likely take over as the Red Sox' primary shortstop and should benefit from Fenway Park's hitter-friendly environment. It's a phenomenal landing spot, which makes Mondesi a worthwhile late-round lottery ticket for fantasy managers, but his lengthy injury can't be overlooked.