• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 for me was another blown playoff lead-95 ALDS, up 2-0, lost 3 straight. It hurt more because it was their first post-season in 15 years, and it was Don Mattingly's swan song. Such a shitty, shitty ending to one of my all time favorite Yankees' careers.
Oh yes! The Griffey sprint from 1st to win it. I forgot about that one. I was in college at the time and in a room of about 20 people mixed between Sox fans and Yankees fans. It was bedlam.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yes! The Griffey sprint from 1st to win it. I forgot about that one. I was in college at the time and in a room of about 20 people mixed between Sox fans and Yankees fans. It was bedlam.

I felt hung-over for like a week afterwards. I remember my GF at the time was like "WTF is wrong with you?"

LOL

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s funny. The Manningham catch doesn’t even register for me. That loss didn’t hurt like losing the perfect season. Different level entirely. Especially given the holding on that Tyree catch with the ref RIGHT THERE! Throw the damn flag!! Ugggh

I think the league made up for it a few hundred times

the Tuck rule was the worst call in the history of professional sports

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that Earnhardt? I live an hour from the Speedway, but I'm not a NASCAR guy.

Yeah. The next day having to drive from Orlando to Va Bch was one of the longest days of my life. My wife cried the whole way and instead of the normal 12 hour drive it took me 18.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2004 is the worst, and it's not even close. Completely ripped my guts out.

#2 for me was another blown playoff lead-95 ALDS, up 2-0, lost 3 straight. It hurt more because it was their first post-season in 15 years, and it was Don Mattingly's swan song. Such a shitty, shitty ending to one of my all time favorite Yankees' careers.

#3 Believe it or not was 1980. Yankees won 103 games, looked like a powerhouse, had their favorite patsy the KC Royals in the ALCS, and got swept.

It was over before it even felt like it started. LOL

Yes 95 was one of my worst also

especially since I thought Buck blew that series a thousand times over

starting Jack McDowell on short rest vs the unhittable Randy Johnson in Game 3 was the worst of all. Kameniecki should have started and went with McDowell on Reg rest vs Bosio in Game 4 and wrapped it up.

McDowell loses duel with Unit, Yanks bomb Bosio, Seattle bombs Kamieniecki more

just as I expected

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#3 Believe it or not was 1980. Yankees won 103 games, looked like a powerhouse, had their favorite patsy the KC Royals in the ALCS, and got swept.

97 sucked too

that cheap Sandy Alomar HR

ugggh, we were so much better than that team

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes 95 was one of my worst also

especially since I though Buck blew that series a thousand times over

starting Jack McDowell on short rest vs the unhittable Randy Johnson in Game 3 was the worst of all. Kameniecki should have started and went with McDowell on Reg rest vs Bosio in Game 4 and wrapped it up.

McDowell loses duel with Unit, Yanks bomb Bosio, Seattle bombs Kamieniecki more

just as I expected

In hindsight, I shouldn't have been as confident in the 2-0 lead as I was-considering that fucking Kingdome had been a house of horrors for the Yankees for years prior.

If only Buck knew what he had in Mariano Rivera. Sigh.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, I shouldn't have been as confident in the 2-0 lead as I was-considering that fucking Kingdome had been a house of horrors for the Yankees for years prior.

If only Buck knew what he had in Mariano Rivera. Sigh.

Used Mo for one batter in a tough spot in Game 5

blew away Mike Blowers on 3 pitches

he than turned to McDowell for the Griffey sprint

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
97 sucked too

I still thought they were gonna win that one after O'Neill doubled in the top of the 9th. Then Bernie flied out, and that was that.

They would have smoked the Marlins

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still thought they were gonna win that one after O'Neill doubled in the top of the 9th. Then Bernie flied out, and that was that.

They would have smoked the Marlins

Jose Mesa, that O’Neill double was the hardest hit laser I’ve ever seen

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the league made up for it a few hundred times

the Tuck rule was the worst call in the history of professional sports
The Tyree catch was years after the Tuck Rule, so maybe Tyree made up for that?!? I think you just have it backwards. The Pats certainly got their share of breaks along the way. But that Tyree play killed the perfect season. It was brutal.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tyree catch was years after the Tuck Rule, so maybe Tyree made up for that?!? I think you just have it backwards. The Pats certainly got their share of breaks along the way. But that Tyree play killed the perfect season. It was brutal.

Good fuck Brady

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
97 sucked too

Those Indians teams of the 90’s were LOADED. But Lofton, Baerga & Belle were gone by 97. When they were running that core out there with Manny and Thome, that was probably the best lineup I can ever remember. Amazing they never won it all.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those Indians teams of the 90’s were LOADED. But Lofton, Baerga & Belle were gone by 97. When they were running that core out there with Manny and Thome, that was probably the best lineup I can ever remember. Amazing they never won it all.

Think they were big favorites to beat the Marlins in that World series

now that we are discussing it, Marlins Indians must have been a real ratings bonanza

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think they were big favorites to beat the Marlins in that World series

now that we are discussing it, Marlins Indians must have been a real ratings bonanza
That was a GREAT World Series. That was the Renteria walkoff in game 7(in extra innings). I wonder about the ratings. People actually watched baseball in those days. I would guess it had better ratings than most World Series in the modern era??

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2004 was absolutely horrific, but actually losing in the WS was just as brutal, if not worse....Losing to the Dodgers in 81' and the D-Backs in 2001 were beyond painful.....Losing to the D-Backs in the bottom of the 9th with Mariano on the mound is still haunting today.....That bloop single by Roidzalez still makes me sick.....Can't watch that replay....

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dislike them, and yes, they are very chippy, but I respect the hell out of how they run that franchise.

Agreed. It's no small feat that a franchise with such a low payroll has been able stay very competitive in one of the tougher divisions for the last 12 years. I don't expect them to revert back to the Devil Rays anytime soon...