• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander and Scherzer. the best 1 2 punch in all of MLB!

Just ask the White Sox. Came into the series leading the AL in runs scored at 5.6 per game, then only scored 4 runs in two games against us. Welcome to major league pitching, boys.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW, sorry hockey, the Sharks sure puked all over themselves. The Wild move on though, Chicago is going to be tough but honestly nobody thought we had a shot against Colorado either so... Be nice to take game one tomorrow in Chicago to kinda set the tone for the series...

Dougie, who does Detroit play in round two?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW, sorry hockey, the Sharks sure puked all over themselves. The Wild move on though, Chicago is going to be tough but honestly nobody thought we had a shot against Colorado either so... Be nice to take game one tomorrow in Chicago to kinda set the tone for the series...

Dougie, who does Detroit play in round two?

Don't say nobody!!! I was begging to get Colorado. Loved the matchup. Chicago....not so much.

Really hope keumper can go.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tigers sweep the white sox!
scherzer 6 scoreless innings. plus 7 Ks. that's at least 7 Ks in his first 6 starts this year. a new tiger record.

give it up to me!!! I went on record and said scherzer will be just as good this year as he was last year. or even better. a few of you didn't see it. said he will have a drop off. some said he would drop off a little some said a lot.
whats supriseing to me...after I show you guys over and over my vast baseball knowledge ..you still doubt me...... People People People!!!

Didnt know one month made a season. He wont be as good as he was last year and they should have traded him while they still could. They wont be doing anything this year if they make the playoffs and that is the only argument to keep him right? They will not sniff the world series with the worst pen in the league and inconsistent hitting.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVS looking very good for april, his aprils are usually unimpressive.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVs looking very good for april, his aprils are usually unimpressive.

JV is also getting through 7 innings pretty consistently -- the nice side effect of his fewer strikeouts. That's huge given the woeful Tiger bullpen.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt know one month made a season. He wont be as good as he was last year and they should have traded him while they still could. They wont be doing anything this year if they make the playoffs and that is the only argument to keep him right? They will not sniff the world series with the worst pen in the league and inconsistent hitting.

What is this based on? Scherzer had excellent peripherals last year and predictor stats (2.90 ERA, 2.74 FIP, 3.16 xFIP). This year the walk rate's slightly up, but his K/9 is currently sitting at 11.8 (it was 10.1 last year) and he's seen a pretty big increase in his GB% (36.3% in 2013, currently at 44.6%). His FIP is at 2.70 and xFIP is at 2.38.

It's a long season and he could regress, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had an even better year than he did in 2013.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I had no idea Kris Johnson made it to the majors. Hope he does well, but Twins fans shouldn't expect much from him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I am definitely not saying the Tigers are going to win anything this year. With their starting rotation -- they can win any series.

As far as the hitting on the team. Even with Miggy struggling for much of April -- The team with the highest team BA in the AL is..........Detroit. So they have been hitting, they've just struggled at times with RISP.

It is only the 1st month of the season, so I'm not going to put too much into it -- The bullpen has looked better after struggling early. Detroit has shown they can win the close games (6-2 in 1 run games) and for a team a year ago, who couldn't steal a base to save their life -- they have been running quite often.

I actually think Detroit's team this year will finish with a better record than last year and depending on how the bullpen shapes up or if they add an arm -- I think Detroit has as good a shot as anyone to win it all. Vegas seems to agree too, as they posted the odds to win the WS and they have the Tigers as the favorites right now.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For what it's worth -- I absolutely think Scherzer will pitch as well as last year. He may not end up with as many wins, as that is dependent on how the bullpen performs and the offense does in his starts. I think his ERA and WHIP will be roughly in the same ballpark though.

If I had to choose one pitcher on the Tigers in a must-win game -- I'd take Scherzer over Verlander right now. They are basically a 1a. and 1b. at the top of the rotation, but Scherzer has better stuff than Verlander right now, IMO.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh by the way
detriot tigers lead all of MLB in come from behind wins... 10 of them..just saying

as for the bull pen. its only May 1, if we het rid of that turd Coke..we will be alright. Nathan is straightening out. plus we will get a arm or 2..we better.

how long will the tigers let Coke stink up the joint? I am going on record.tigers will keep sending him out there till at least all star break

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when do wings play? a couple going on to play for team USA.
SOME KIND OF INTERNATIONAL play. lead by danny dekyser.

free press had some articles about babcock. think he is in his last year, he might leave to go to another team. iam sure a lot of teams would want him. Illitchs wont let him go......

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JV is also getting through 7 innings pretty consistently -- the nice side effect of his fewer strikeouts. That's huge given the woeful Tiger bullpen.

Watching them WGN othe day. Hawk actaully said he seems to be trying to be more finesse pitcher early this year. I have not seen him pitch much. Has he changed his approach or not??

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen him pitch much. Has he changed his approach or not??

He is definitely throwing fewer fastballs and a lot more curveballs early in the season.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Detroit's team this year will finish with a better record than last year and depending on how the bullpen shapes up or if they add an arm -- I think Detroit has as good a shot as anyone to win it all.

Well, they added a needed piece to the bullpen by signing Joel Hanrahan today. If he's even close to the pitcher he used to be, he's more reliable than 75% of what the Tigers could throw out there right now.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth -- I absolutely think Scherzer will pitch as well as last year. He may not end up with as many wins, as that is dependent on how the bullpen performs and the offense does in his starts. I think his ERA and WHIP will be roughly in the same ballpark though.

If I had to choose one pitcher on the Tigers in a must-win game -- I'd take Scherzer over Verlander
right now. They are basically a 1a. and 1b. at the top of the rotation, but Scherzer has better stuff than Verlander right now, IMO.

Good assessment. For one game, I'd take Scherzer. Over the course of a season, I'd rather have Verlander, because he'll pitch deeper into games and save the bullpen more innings.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they added a needed piece to the bullpen by signing Joel Hanrahan today. If he's even close to the pitcher he used to be, he's more reliable than 75% of what the Tigers could throw out there right now.

Great move. I been wanting them to get him for weeks now. Will probably be on DL til mid june, but if he comes back strong, it will help BIG time. Especially if joba da hutt keeps pitching OK....im still not sold on the hutt.

If hanrahan can get his stuff back by july, DD will only need to add a lefty for the pen....anything else will be extra sweet.

Robbie ray to start tuesday. Time to see what we got for fister....would love for ray to shine and kick smyly back to the pen.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good assessment. For one game, I'd take Scherzer. Over the course of a season, I'd rather have Verlander, because he'll pitch deeper into games and save the bullpen more innings.

I think id rather take JV for both...in a big game, max might only go 6 and then the pen might blow it....JV seems to shine in big games....just not the WS or AS games. But id still roll the dice with JV. I also believe if JV ever gets back to the WS, his first start will be great. He will have something to prove and get off his chest.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ON or TO, lol

Interesting stat today, Max 0 complete games in career, would have NEVER guessed that, had to even double check the announcers....he has finished 2 games though, lol

Thats always been max's issue. He takes too many pitches to get outs. JV max and sanchez battle pitch counts every game it seems. Its just JV can go out and throw 130 pitches. Max usually goes around a 100. Even when we got him from arizona he struggled to get thru 5 while racking up K's.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JV seems to shine in big games....just not the WS or AS games. But id still roll the dice with JV. I also believe if JV ever gets back to the WS, his first start will be great.

Well, he did get the PLAYOFF monkey off his back last year -- 1 ER and 31 Ks in 23 innings. Let's hope he gets the chance to turn around his WS woes.