• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I touched on this yesterday and just saw the official number. What are your guys feelings?

JV has been struggling for a few starts. Something may or may not be wrong. Lots of pitches. SIXTY TWO minute rain delay. And they throw him back out there and get him to 110 pitches just so he can get that 5-4 record in a game he in absolutely no way deserved to win anyways.

IDK how to technically describe it but I just feel a little wtf. That desperate for the ace to get a win? It's risky either way but way more understandable if it was like 2-1 and he deserved a win.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I touched on this yesterday and just saw the official number. What are your guys feelings?

JV has been struggling for a few starts. Something may or may not be wrong. Lots of pitches. SIXTY TWO minute rain delay. And they throw him back out there and get him to 110 pitches just so he can get that 5-4 record in a game he in absolutely no way deserved to win anyways.

IDK how to technically describe it but I just feel a little wtf. That desperate for the ace to get a win? It's risky either way but way more understandable if it was like 2-1 and he deserved a win.

Sounds like he has a BIG vagina. :laugh3:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy, little shanie gets to go pottymouth without his mommie yelling at him.

BTW....ever seen one shanie?

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander makes a lot of decisions about when, how, and how long he pitches. Leyland has admitted to deferring to Verlander on how long he stays in the game.

Spartan1Nation

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander makes a lot of decisions about when, how, and how long he pitches. Leyland has admitted to deferring to Verlander on how long he stays in the game.

He is starting the back end of his career... He can't throw 100 mph forever... He will have to learn how to pitch instead of just over powering everyone... When he figures it out he will be fine

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like Frank Tanana had to do.

It is possible that JV never reaches the heights he did the last two years....hopefully he can still be a top of the rotation starter....again much like Tanana who had to re-invent himself as a pitcher.

Spartan1Nation

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Tanana was a flame thrower early in his career and then was like low 80's the last few years and he was successful

JV is losing velocity and that is something in his career that he has never had to deal with in his ... Will be interesting to see how he adjusts... He is gonna have to locate his pitches better as his career moves along

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the tigers broadcast they mentioned the rain delay was just a lil over an hour.....which is around the borderline for returning.....they also mentioned if leyland would of taken JV out, that JV would of fought back to stay in. They had 2 guys warming up. I figured if he showed any signs of struggling, they would of pulled him. Not to mention detroits bullpen isnt the greatest. I had no problem with it. It worked, but if he had gotten hurt, im sure old smokey would of had to answer to someone.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to me 11 runs is batting practice......rod allen said it the inning everyone was doubling...."looks like detroit is having batting practice" ........maybe ubaldo would make a great batting practice pitcher. 6 runs in 4 innings, and we left a few on. Thats batting practice....teeball practice.....something...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow shane does come off as a 12 yr old.......boobies? Did someone say boobies?

At least when the injuns do their yearly disappearing act, it looks like shane will take kiniks place as the residential tiger hater with bad jokes. Since he wont be here to talk how well the injuns are doing. Im sure he will be here daily to let us know how the tigers are doing.......when they lose.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leyland basically said that Verlander had asked to finish the 5th and that JV, based on all he's done for the Tigers, had "earned it."

C'mon guys ... "back end" of his career? Will "never reach" his past heights? The guy is 30 years old. A TON of great pitchers (Ryan, Halladay, etc.) have had bad stretches for longer than three games, and came back to pitch very well into their late 30s and early 40s. I'm not in the doom & gloom camp on JV just yet.

Spartan1Nation

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow shane does come off as a 12 yr old.......boobies? Did someone say boobies?

At least when the injuns do their yearly disappearing act, it looks like shane will take kiniks place as the residential tiger hater with bad jokes. Since he wont be here to talk how well the injuns are doing. Im sure he will be here daily to let us know how the tigers are doing.......when they lose.

Bout as bad as finger poppin butts.... Don't see to many grown men going around saying that :lol:

Spartan1Nation

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leyland basically said that Verlander had asked to finish the 5th and that JV, based on all he's done for the Tigers, had "earned it."

C'mon guys ... "back end" of his career? Will "never reach" his past heights? The guy is 30 years old. A TON of great pitchers (Ryan, Halladay, etc.) have had bad stretches for longer than three games, and came back to pitch very well into their late 30s and early 40s. I'm not in the doom & gloom camp on JV just yet.

So you honestly think he will throw 98-99 in to his late 30's? No one is saying that he will become a bad pitcher and i have all the faith in the would that he will still be our ace for years to come... Was just stating the reality that his career is winding down... This is his 10th season... so yes if you cut his career in half he could very well be starting the back end of his career unless you can see in to a crystal ball that he plays another 12-15 years but i doubt it

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually its his 9th season IF you count the 2 starts in 2005.....he was considered a rookie in 2006. So really this is his 8th season.

Lucky we didnt call him washed up in 2008 when he had a down year.....i guess we are so used to seeing JV be JV, that when he struggles everyone panics. His stats are still decent this year, even with the bad starts hes had recently.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually its his 9th season IF you count the 2 starts in 2005.....he was considered a rookie in 2006. So really this is his 8th season.

Lucky we didnt call him washed up in 2008 when he had a down year.....i guess we are so used to seeing JV be JV, that when he struggles everyone panics. His stats are still decent this year, even with the bad starts hes had recently.

Exactly. I think some people are reading way too much into it. Still only been 3 starts. 08 isn't really a fair comparison though since he hadn't full got started yet. Sure he was good before that but not dominant like he has become. Either way, I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if his ERA ends under 3 this year. The WHIP needs a lot of work right now though.

And as for JV wanting to stay in, that was kinda my point. Whether it was him or leyland...ether way he didn't deserve to win the game. So to fight like that after some recent red flags to get a "cheap" win is kinda lame. But technically he has earned it over the last couple years so it was merely a thought.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other way to look at it mrhockey is JV wanted to gut out 5 innings to spare our bullpen of having to get 12 outs instead of 14. When benoit and valverde come in the game comes to a stop pace....asking the tigers BP to get that many outs could take all night. I think as a leader he wanted to lead by example....JV is a fierce competitor, but i could see your point as he wanted that win being selfish. But i believe JV has earned the right to make some decisions.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ubaldo 3-3 6.03 ERA.........WOW. CY Young? Bwahahahaha shanomac missed that one.

Spartan1Nation

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Jason Grilli all of a sudden the most unhittable closer in the game?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw. Masterson is our cy young guy not ubaldo. He was starting to look better until last night of course