• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ Jenkins continues to struggle

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he holding out (not exactly per se) or are we waiting to see what we want to give him. I saw he was the only draft pick not signed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is he holding out (not exactly per se) or are we waiting to see what we want to give him. I saw he was the only draft pick not signed.

seems to me like typical negotiations? in the past 1st rounders typically take longer, maybe its still the case now? isn't the CBA supposed to help the process, by focusing down what the max can be?

as it stands now, SEEMS like it behooves Jenkins to sign sooner?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems to me like typical negotiations? in the past 1st rounders typically take longer, maybe its still the case now? isn't the CBA supposed to help the process, by focusing down what the max can be?

as it stands now, SEEMS like it behooves Jenkins to sign sooner?

The total money has become pretty much pre-ordained by spot but the verbiage, guaranteed money, etc are still scraps for the agents to quibble over.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some specifics from Cohn:

A.J. Jenkins by the numbers - Inside the 49ers

Take it for what you will. Interesting to see the numbers for the other guys, though they don't mean much at this point. Even so, Williams matched Davis in terms of receptions and TDs. He was probably doing it primarily with the second team, but that could actually be even more of a positive, as he'd be working with a less established QB, and likely against the first team. If he keeps it up, he's gonna make it real tough for the staff to cut him...

Cohn is just mad because we didn't trade up to draft Jacoby Fleener as he had begged us to do. Cohn is a certified jack a$$!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i would be dissapointed if Jenkins doesn't get game time during the regular season? do expect a few reps a game on short/intermediate routes.

we should utilize the other WR's first, cause they're more experienced and currently more capable. so just thinking 2-3 reps a game to start off his career.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maiocco came out with his review of WRs during OTAs, including a lengthy section on Jenkins:

If the 49ers wanted to invest their first-round pick in a position that had a greater chance of making a first-year impact, it's unlikely they would've drafted a wide receiver. So look at the selection of A.J. Jenkins as an investment for future seasons. (Jenkins on Wednesday signed a four-year, $6.947 million contract, a source told CSNBayArea.com.)

It'll be very difficult for him to break into the top 3, and I don't see the team's No. 4 receiver getting much action as long as everyone remains healthy.

A lot of was made -- yes, here and with other media outlets -- about Jenkins' physical shape during the rookie minicamp. There were only four rookie wide receivers at that camp to share in all the route-running. So there was a lot of running involved. And none of the other rookies had the kind of hectic travel schedule that Jenkins endured around the draft, including a round-trip to the Bay Area the day after he was selected at No. 30 overall. After that first practice, Jenkins' condition was never questioned again throughout the offseason.

During the team's offseason program, Jenkins did not separate himself from the pack. But this is a good group of wideouts, including three intriguing undrafted rookies. All in all, Jenkins' performance is about what should be expected.

As far as first impressions, the most important thing is how a rookie handles himself and the level of commitment he demonstrates. Jenkins gets high marks in those areas. One focus was increasing his strength, and he appears to be making good strides in that area with Mark Uyeyama, the 49ers' head strength and conditioning coach.

Also, the mandatory minicamp ended on a high note when Jenkins made the best reception of any receiver I saw during the dozen or so practices that were open to the media. Working against cornerback Carlos Rogers, Jenkins leaped high in the air at the back of the end zone to catch a Colin Kaepernick dart. He positioned both feet to tap inbounds before his body crashed to the ground.

I hadn't considered all the travel around the time of the draft. That would have made it tough to stay in peak shape. As said, way too early to freak out about Jenkins. He seems to have ample physical tools to succeed. The bigger question is if he will comit himself to becoming the player he can be. Hopefully he's taking some steps in the right direction.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's definitely a good point. Regardless, time will tell. I think this is all blown out of proportion at this point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Sando:

Chat wrap: Expectations for A.J. Jenkins - NFC West Blog - ESPN

Not sure what the guy asking the question means by severely undersized in terms of height. Jenkins is over six feet. That's not tall, but it sure as hell isn't "severely undersized." Even 190 isn't severely undersized. Of the top-10 receivers last year in terms of size, Jenkins is taller than Welker, Cruz, Steve Smith, and is an eighth of an inch shorter than Mike Wallace. He weighs more than Welker and Smith did coming out.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From Sando:

Not sure what the guy asking the question means by severely undersized in terms of height. Jenkins is over six feet. That's not tall, but it sure as hell isn't "severely undersized." Even 190 isn't severely undersized. Of the top-10 receivers last year in terms of size, Jenkins is taller than Welker, Cruz, Steve Smith, and is an eighth of an inch shorter than Mike Wallace. He weighs more than Welker and Smith did coming out.

For some reason, some people tend to equate the prototypical top notched WR's as similar in bdy builds as Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.. et al

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For some reason, some people tend to equate the prototypical top notched WR's as similar in bdy builds as Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.. et al

Yeah, it's kind of funny. Obviously those guys have great size, and there has been a move toward some larger receivers lately, but plenty of smaller guys are doing just fine in the NFL these days. If you expand the WR list out to the top-25, Jenkins wouldn't even be in the bottom-third in terms of height. I've got 11 players he's either taller than or within an eighth of an inch of.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Sando:

He's just some random guy, wouldn't put any stock into his assessment.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I realize he's just a fan. Just struck me as funny. I was mostly passing along the link and Sando's thoughts.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's kind of funny. Obviously those guys have great size, and there has been a move toward some larger receivers lately, but plenty of smaller guys are doing just fine in the NFL these days. If you expand the WR list out to the top-25, Jenkins wouldn't even be in the bottom-third in terms of height. I've got 11 players he's either taller than or within an eighth of an inch of.

What does this even mean? I mean, if you expand a list of receivers from an elite list to a Top 25 list, wouldn't that either mean:

you are adding shorter receivers (if less height = less physical skill = lower ranked), which would make him in a higher third in height

or

you are adding a bunch of taller receivers who are lower ranked and therefore hieght has less correlation to ranked performance?

I am not arguing with what you said, just trying to understand your logic on the "even if we expanded (the list)" explanation. It just seems that unless Jenkins were historically small, adding a bunch of players would either remove him from the bottom third (and thus, weaken the tall = better argument) or it would put him in the bottom third (which you are saying it wouldn't) or it would stay the same as it is now (to which, why are we expenading the list?)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What does this even mean? I mean, if you expand a list of receivers from an elite list to a Top 25 list, wouldn't that either mean:

you are adding shorter receivers (if less height = less physical skill = lower ranked), which would make him in a higher third in height

or

you are adding a bunch of taller receivers who are lower ranked and therefore hieght has less correlation to ranked performance?

I am not arguing with what you said, just trying to understand your logic on the "even if we expanded (the list)" explanation. It just seems that unless Jenkins were historically small, adding a bunch of players would either remove him from the bottom third (and thus, weaken the tall = better argument) or it would put him in the bottom third (which you are saying it wouldn't) or it would stay the same as it is now (to which, why are we expenading the list?)

Honestly, I'm not sure that adding more guys made a difference. I just went to the trouble of looking for my own edification, as I figured there would be more physical freaks toward the top of the list, and after doing so, figured I might as well post something about it. If we're including Jenkins as the 11th guy of top-10, or the 26th of top-25, he ranks 4/11 and 11/25. Reducing those to percentages, they are 36% and 44% respectively.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm not sure that adding more guys made a difference. I just went to the trouble of looking for my own edification, as I figured there would be more physical freaks toward the top of the list, and after doing so, figured I might as well post something about it. If we're including Jenkins as the 11th guy of top-10, or the 26th of top-25, he ranks 4/11 and 11/25. Reducing those to percentages, they are 36% and 44% respectively.

Oh, I get it now. 7/14 you added were taller and he still ended up being on the tall end. Ok. I just thought it said something that the last 14 had 7 taller players, when the poster said he was short (and tall = better).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still pretty disappointing reports coming out. Obviously very early still but a little different feel from last year when there was so much positive hype behind Aldon Smith.

Don't be surprised if Jenkins busts out completely. It was a terrible, terrible pick but the 49ers are still good enough to go to The Bowl even with zero production from him

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I certainly thought we drafted him too high, but i also didn't think he would have so many negative reports coming out so early.

What are people's expectations for a LATE 1st round pick. Especially at the WR position. He was not a top 10 so called "elite talent" pick. He needs at least one year to develop and make a difference. This was one if of the main reasons why I kept saying that we drafted the “wrong Jenkins”. Had we drafted Janoris 1st, the Rams would have opted for AJ Jenkins in the early 2nd. This means that the Jets would have settled for either Brian Quick or Stephen Hill - and which ever of the two was left, we would have drafted. So our options for targeting a receiver in the 2nd round would have been Brian Quick / Stephen Hill / Ruben Randle. Still I would not have drafted a WR in the 2nd round. Just like they did, I would have kept the LaMichael James pick. In the 3rd round I would have selected the best guard available or traded it like they did. 4th Round is when I would have selected a WR (knowing that I got Crab, Moss, Williams, Manningham) - and targeted someone like Juron Criner or Marvin Jones. Criner preferably!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are people's expectations for a LATE 1st round pick. Especially at the WR position.

My expectation of Jenkins is that he simply contribute. Something like:
20-30 Rec - 11-12 Y/PR - 1-3 TD's - would be nice.