• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ Jenkins continues to struggle

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hope it means the offense is at a high NFL level now with the other guys experienced/in the offense for a year.

He has months to try and catch up before he may be needed.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is weird cause some stories say that he is smooth and could be a big part of the offense this year and these links say that he is struggling.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rather it said Stephen Hill was struggling than mr Jenkins...

in Baalke/Harbs i trust....

Z-Comeback

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you see who the "source" of these comments was?

Grant Cohn...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Reviews on Jenkins have been pretty mixed, including from peopel other than Cohn, whose opinion I don't count for much. Sounds like he has his moments, but has also been banged around a bit at the LOS (even without pads...) and has struggled with drops at times. Some of that is probably natural. It's a high-pressure situation. It's also a reflection of the talent we have at WR now, to some extent. Crabtree and Williams have apparently both stepped up their game (what was it Harbaugh was saying about competition?), and Moss and Manningham should be better than the rookies.

Part of Jenkins' draw is that he's supposed to be a pretty committed worker and generally a good kid. If he steps up his game in response to his struggles, I'm not too worried. We'll see what happens.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did you see who the "source" of these comments was?

Grant Cohn...

exactly...

Charles Barkley could recite Shakespeare better than this guy could explain a simple post pattern. He has no business being a sports writer. He's turrible!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well this may mean that A. Smith with his cannon arm may have to throw him open when needed! Go 49ers!!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Really a non issue to me at the moment.

He was a late 1st round WR so I wasn't expecting him to come right out of the gate and go beast mode. You really only see instant production from top 10 caliber WR and typically the second tier guys need a little more work and refinement before they truly hit their stride.

I expect him to bulk up, get more and more comfortable with the playbook, get better and be more productive as the season goes on.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Jenkins' spot
8:10AM ET
San Francisco 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers famously -- or, infamously -- had just one reception from a WR in the NFC Championship game loss in 2011, and the club set about addressing the position group in player acquisitions this offseason. It could be argued, of course, that the WRs aren't the problem, that the QB is the problem in San Francisco, but the club obviously feels that Alex Smith is good enough to keep them amongst the ranks of the contenders. In any event, the additions included Randy Moss and Mario Manningham in free agency, with A.J. Jenkins selected with the Niners' first-round draft pick (No. 30 overall). Two out of those three have looked good in offseason practices thus far. Jenkins, on the other hand, did not, and he now finds himself no better than the No. 5 WR on the depth chart -- behind Michael Crabtree, Kyle Williams, Moss and Manningham.

"The Niners' first-round pick looked like one of the worst wide receivers on the field most of minicamp," Grant Cohn of the Press Democrat wrote. "He didn't play with the first- or second-team offense on Tuesday, and he didn't catch a pass in scrimmages on Wednesday. He had trouble staying on his feet all three days, which was odd considering it was a non-contact minicamp. Overall, undrafted receivers Nathan Palmer and Brian Tyms caught many more passes and made more impressive plays than Jenkins did. There's no rush for Jenkins to produce, though, because there seem to be at least four good wide receivers above him on the depth chart right now -- Crabtree, Moss, Manningham and Williams."

There's significant time left for Jenkins to improve his standing amongst the Niners' pass-catchers. But as of now, it seems that the Illinois product is not exactly poised for a standout rookie campaign.

- Tim Kavanagh​

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's something that may be covering Jenkins' ass. We do have WRs ahead of him thus giving him the "break" to learn and digest and run through the motions of a rookie WR.

But still, being early as it is, it's still not a good read to hear(Cohn or not) about Jenkins displaying fail-like qualities....

we may or may not be looking at our first botched pick...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some wr's take a full year before they can really contribute. gonna have to be patient.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Words: Grant Cohn.
Month: June.

I know these articles only come out because we have entered the Mojave Desert portion of the football year, but I think I'll wait a little while longer before calling A.J. a disappointment. Besides, its silly to look at no contact/pads practices as means of gauging ability or progress.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Some specifics from Cohn:

A.J. Jenkins by the numbers - Inside the 49ers

Take it for what you will. Interesting to see the numbers for the other guys, though they don't mean much at this point. Even so, Williams matched Davis in terms of receptions and TDs. He was probably doing it primarily with the second team, but that could actually be even more of a positive, as he'd be working with a less established QB, and likely against the first team. If he keeps it up, he's gonna make it real tough for the staff to cut him...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Michael Crabtree: 11 catches, 1 TD, 1 drop.

Whaaaaaat??? From the best hands of all time? I don't believe it.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hopefully this is just him just getting use to the playbook. Unsureness on the field always makes a player look sloppy