• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ Jenkins chooses No. 17

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cited a single newspaper source, that didn't even have an author attached to it, as your unassailable evidence that no teams had Jenkins with a first round grade.

You then dismissed Peter King saying some did because it's his job to sell newspapers so it is "highly probable" he made it up.

But the Washington Post story, a newspaper, doesn't fall into that category. You haven't addressed why yet.

You say that any rookie who starts and keeps his starting job is productive. Therefore Alex Smith was productive as a rookie. You want to stand by that statement? Don't make excuses about the surrounding talent. He had Kwame Harris at LT, who was never benched as a rookie.

As I said, you got me with the Alex Smith thing but that was an abberation. One of the most pathetic football teams in NFL history. As bad as he was, he was the best they had

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think these Universities that just had players taken in the draft would get with their video departments and create an advertising highlight reel on the players. What an excellent way to use the medium of YouTube to bring attention to their school while providing something much better than these 15-pass highlight reels from one game.

These aren't from the Universities and are not meant to be highlight reels. I was showing a video of game, granted a game against a weak secondary, and all the times he was targeted. Showing highlights isn't the best way to see how a player plays. Im sure you could get highlights on youtube, but that was not the direction i was trying to go. I find these to be more interesting.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As I said, you got me with the Alex Smith thing but that was an abberation. One of the most pathetic football teams in NFL history. As bad as he was, he was the best they had

The best they had =/= productive. See Blaine Gabbert this year.

But what about the source issue? Why is the Washington Post free from the potential of "making up stories" but Peter King may make up stories for twitter?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, RayDogg or mem49er, or anyone else that thinks they can evaluate WRs can you compare Dwight Jones and AJ Jenkins?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These aren't from the Universities and are not meant to be highlight reels. I was showing a video of game, granted a game against a weak secondary, and all the times he was targeted. Showing highlights isn't the best way to see how a player plays. Im sure you could get highlights on youtube, but that was not the direction i was trying to go. I find these to be more interesting.

Actually, uncfan103, these are EXACTLY what I want to watch every time! These represent the truth - not just the highlights to your point. The problem is getting these "truth reels" on a consistent basis.

I have been disappointed with the amount of footage out there on AJ, thus the idea to create a win/win platform for both the fans and the Universities.

Thanks a bunch for providing these!

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toby Ill raise your John CLayton with Peter King who said in his mmqb article

I love what the 49ers did late Friday night and Saturday.

To become a great general manager, you have to be willing to take some chances. You have to be willing, on draft day, to make decisions that can impact your team for the next few years, positively or negatively. You have to have the courage of your convictions that if you trade down and lose the player you wanted in the first place, you'll be OK with that; the risk was worth it.

That happened to San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke late Friday night, as the third round was winding down. The 49ers had the 29th pick in the round, the 92nd pick overall. They liked a guard from Wake Forest named Joe Looney. Baalke knew the Niners liked Looney better than a lot of teams. He knew he might be able to get Looney in the fourth round. Might. No guarantees. And if he lost him, Baalke felt fine going with the next man on the board. So when the Colts called looking for a late-third-round pick, Baalke traded 92 to the Colts for the 97th pick and Indy's fifth-round pick in 2013.

On Saturday, at the start of round four, Baalke still thought he could wait for Looney. He dealt 97 to Miami for the Dolphins' fourth-round pick, 103 overall, plus the 196th pick and a sixth-round pick in 2013. At 103, Looney was still there. San Francisco was picking 125th. Dare Baalke wait? Carolina came calling for the 103rd pick, and Baalke dealt that pick for the 180th in this draft and a third-round pick in 2013.

Tick. Tick. Tick. No guards went from 103 to 111, and Chicago was a candidate, but the Bears passed on the line, as did Arizona at 112, and now Baalke was pressing the outer limits, and he picked up the phone and made a deal with Detroit, trading up eight spots from 125 to 117 and throwing in the Miami pick acquired an hour earlier (196) in order to draft Looney ... 25 picks after the Niners were going to take him at 92.

So at the end of the dealing, the Niners got their man. And they got this:

• The 180th pick in 2012 -- Michigan State free safety Trenton Robinson.

• Carolina's third-round pick in 2013.

• Indianapolis' fifth-round pick in 2013.

• Miami's sixth-round pick in 2013.

Along with a seventh-round pick in 2013 from Cincinnati in the Taylor Mays trade, and likely compensatory picks for losing guard Adam Snyder and wide receiver Josh Morgan in free agency, San Francisco now sits with a projected 13 picks in the 2013 draft, the most of any team in the league.

"I'd be lying to suggest building up that many picks was our intention at the start of it,'' Baalke told me Saturday night. "But we were able to turn the pick over three times and get our guy, plus five picks [four, after the deal with Detroit]. So it worked out. We're not trying to win in the court of public opinion, or win in the media. We're trying to win games over the long haul and build a team for sustained success.''

That's precisely the kind of deal that helps a team win over the long haul.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, uncfan103, these are EXACTLY what I want to watch every time! These represent the truth - not just the highlights to your point. The problem is getting these "truth reels" on a consistent basis.

I have been disappointed with the amount of footage out there on AJ, thus the idea to create a win/win platform for both the fans and the Universities.

Thanks a bunch for providing these!

Yeah, no problem. If you want to look at any other films like this try googling a players name and draftbreakdown.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best they had =/= productive. See Blaine Gabbert this year.

But what about the source issue? Why is the Washington Post free from the potential of "making up stories" but Peter King may make up stories for twitter?

What makes you think they are?

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Peter King thinks the Niners draft went fairly well. He doesnt address the first two picks but for the rest of your negativity. If AJ jenkins performs half as well as the last "reach" the Niners ha in Aldon Smith I think everything will work out fine. I personally thought AJ was a soli secon rounder but I just happen to be a fan who watches the games. Until proven otherwise Ill trust the people who make their living making the picks.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So at the end of the dealing, the Niners got their man. And they got this:

• The 180th pick in 2012 -- Michigan State free safety Trenton Robinson.

• Carolina's third-round pick in 2013.

• Indianapolis' fifth-round pick in 2013.

• Miami's sixth-round pick in 2013.

I have to say, that's not bad. But does it excuse the Jenkins pick?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the vids, Ray. Gotta say, though. I'm no scout, but I wasn't blown away. I'll have to have faith in Harbaalke.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What makes you think they are?

I'm not saying they are. I'm also not saying Peter King made his up. You have said it's "highly probable" that King made up the story to sell newspapers. You have hailed a single, uncredited Washington Post article as unassailable evidence that no team had a first round grade on Jenkins.

I wonder why Peter King likely made up the story, but the credibility of a Post article with no author credited is unassailable.

Why the double standard from you?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the vids, Ray. Gotta say, though. I'm no scout, but I wasn't blown away. I'll have to have faith in Harbaalke.

How would you compare him to Dwight Jones?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they are. I'm also not saying Peter King made his up. You have said it's "highly probable" that King made up the story to sell newspapers. You have hailed a single, uncredited Washington Post article as unassailable evidence that no team had a first round grade on Jenkins.

I wonder why Peter King likely made up the story, but the credibility of a Post article with no author credited is unassailable.

I'd be very surprised if I said that, it doesn't sound like me, but I'm too lazy to go back and look. I probably said something like it was "plausable".

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess because the post writer only gave his opinion; nothing to make up there about "inside sources" in NFL circles like in King's story. he might do this in aneffort to gain credibility with his readers and thus get more readers.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, RayDogg or mem49er, or anyone else that thinks they can evaluate WRs can you compare Dwight Jones and AJ Jenkins?

Let me preface by saying there are a lot of posters on here that evaluate players more and take it more seriously than me, but since you mentioned me, I'll take a stab.

Without looking up anything about Jones, in those clips he's obviously stronger and has a larger frame. They really seem like completely different prospects. I'd have to see way more of both but first impression is that Jenkins is more nimble and a more natural catcher/route runner. Jones seems to be more physically impressive and definitely more likely to run through some tackles.

What I would love to see, and haven't yet, is either more routes run by AJ for evaluation or some evidence of him creating after the catch.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we please just ignore TT/NN. There is no value in arguing with him because he's just a troll who is here to stir stuff up. You're better than that IMAC. : )