• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ finally gone

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Jenkins got some snaps with the first team and he also got to play against KC's starters. Watched the game on TV until midway 2nd quarter. TV announcers povided no insight. I listened on radio afterwards and Eric Davis kept saying that Jenkins was not getting enough separation from press coverage

He did play against KC starers but with our 2nd team offense. The 1st team only played 4 snaps against KC.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex Smith had a say in this. He saw AJ in practice and probably know that he would be a great fit in that scheme they are running.

Could be I read an article by Maiocco that was saying we might be using AJ wrong by playing him at split end & not flanker which made a lot of sense to me since AJ still isn't as strong as he should be at this point in his development. S/N I am not an AJ Jenkins apologist by any means and I think he has been disappointing to this point in his career but I do think that we gave up on him too soon & we got back another guy who has as many flaws if not more then the guy we gave up on.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mattbarrows: Wow -- teams swap disaapointing WR draft picks ... @adamteicher #Chiefs trade Jon Baldwin to 49ers for WR AJ Jenkins

Baldwin is a trouble maker. He won't last long with Harbaugh.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok, so it appears both were likely going to get cut anyway? now if we cut Baldwin in lieu of Jenkins, does it save a LITTLE face for Baalke? I know the answer is either no, or VERY little if at all, just had to ask.

from what I've been reading, would've preferred staying with Jenkins. then if nothing more happens after two more pre-season games, so be it. cause how can Baldwin come in so late, and hope to "all of a sudden".....show he's better than Collie Hawkins, Hall, and Lockette?

are we now looking for 'blocking' WR's? :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baldwin is a legitimate deep threat because of his size and his 4.4 forty speed.

but he would only be a threat after proving he can go up and CATCH deep balls.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, ballsy move cutting ties that quick. Hope Baldwin reforms his game. Don't we still take the cap hit for AJ's signing bonus?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally off topic but i hope Baldwin wears a real wr number in the 80s

He will probably wear number 89, that's what he's had for a while. I haven't read this thread yet, so sorry if someone already answered this.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read... 49ers Blog and Q&A: On paper, Baldwin everything 49ers seeking in a starting WR

"One of Jenkins' criticisms, meanwhile, is that he was slight of frame and did not hold up well to press coverage. Indeed, Jenkins spent much of his 49ers practices on the grass after being knocked down, sometimes by phantom contact. That should not be an issue for Baldwin, who is built like a tight end and who will look up to only one 49ers receiver, the 6-5 Osgood."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, ballsy move cutting ties that quick. Hope Baldwin reforms his game. Don't we still take the cap hit for AJ's signing bonus?

They may have taken a bit of that signing bonus because if they had cut Baldwin they would've owed him almost a million more or so I've heard. But then again if Baldwin's better than Jenkins, then we may have swallowed that. This prevents us having to go through the waiver wire or having to offer Baldwin a certain amount.

In the little time since this trade has been announced, I've heard that Jenkins fits Reid's system better. So this must be a bittersweet to go from a contender to KC but then they have more chance to produce. Then again, we drafted him thinking he was a fit for our system. I thought he was more of a Kaepernick system WR the Smith system. But that's because he was fast and Smith didn't go deep often, Baldwin is a big guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is crazy.... kind of wondering if they aren't taking the easy way out of letting jenkins go. This way, when they (or if they) release Baldwin, its not like they are releasing a first round draft pick. Also, in defense of Baldwin, KC was not a very healthy environment his first two years.....

kind of shocked we cut bait on jenkins though, and I think he should have been given another year, but at least Baldwin is bigger and almost as fast and was a higher round draft pick.... The dropped balls isn't anything we weren't already getting with Jenkins. It just seems like Baldwin has confirmed his bust status a little more with an extra year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*he'd have better chance to produce, not they. My mobile voice recognition problem and me trying to beat SportsHoopla's editing window. :postwhore:

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good read... 49ers Blog and Q&A: On paper, Baldwin everything 49ers seeking in a starting WR

"One of Jenkins' criticisms, meanwhile, is that he was slight of frame and did not hold up well to press coverage. Indeed, Jenkins spent much of his 49ers practices on the grass after being knocked down, sometimes by phantom contact. That should not be an issue for Baldwin, who is built like a tight end and who will look up to only one 49ers receiver, the 6-5 Osgood."

ahh, didn't think of Boldin as a mentor, does seem like he can help? on TV he was trying to help Jenkins and IMO it didn't seem 'overbearing'?

that said, always felt "mentoring" was a little overrated. it certainly helps, but it still comes down to the player himself. Baldwin doesn't have much time to transition in.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They may have taken a bit of that signing bonus because if they had cut Baldwin they would've owed him almost a million more or so I've heard. But then again if Baldwin's better than Jenkins, then we may have swallowed that. This prevents us having to go through the waiver wire or having to offer Baldwin a certain amount.

In the little time since this trade has been announced, I've heard that Jenkins fits Reid's system better. So this must be a bittersweet to go from a contender to KC but then they have more chance to produce. Then again, we drafted him thinking he was a fit for our system. I thought he was more of a Kaepernick system WR the Smith system. But that's because he was fast and Smith didn't go deep often, Baldwin is a big guy.

That was my same thought too. KC saying he's a better fit doesn't really add up in comparison to how he fit ours. Maybe they wanted a fast WR to throw in from Bowe, but we'd want the same thing across from Boldin. Both teams just got completely sick of these guys in order for that trade to happen. If it weren't for Alex Smith's inability to use guys like Jenkins, I think KC would end up getting the better deal. Maybe we can use Baldwin in the redzone but I'm not going to hold my breathe.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's kind of a wash. We eat AJ signing bonus and take on Baldwin's base for the next two years, they eat Baldwin's signing bonus and take on AJ's base the next three years. The way the new CBA is set up, 1st rounders have their first 3 years essentially guaranteed. So if we cut baldwin, his base for this year would be dead money, but not his 2014 base. If they cut AJ, they have to pay his base for this year and next.

I'm guessing this move costs us around $300k in cap room this year, around $1.1 M more next year, but reduces our cap # quite a bit for 2015. If Baldwin doesn't make the squad next year, we essentially save over $1 M by just keeping jenkins this year and cutting him next. If that makes sense.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The pick is officially a bad pick.

Baalke wanted a Mike Wallace type of guy and he went for a major reach. Also I think he believed Jenkins was going to continue to build and grow from his senior year and he simply stalled and started to spin his wheels.

Now depending on what Baldwin does will determine how much he salvaged the pick.

The trade itself was good for both sides regardless. Neither side was happy with it's players so maybe a change of scenery and different coaching and a different system you might get lucky and they respond positively to it.

Either way it's worth a shot since both teams were going to dump their respective players anyways so might as well roll the dice.

I'll at least credit Baalke for not hanging on to Jenkins in an attempt to save face. That shouldn't excuse him from criticism for making the pick but I'll give him some props for trying to make the most of it instead of keeping Jenkins as dead weight for a couple of years, than releasing him, and it being a complete sunk cost.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking at the contracts of the two, this move is great on our part. If we would have straight up cut Jenkins, we take a dead money hit of $1.579 M this year, plus $2.767 M this year. By making this trade, one of two things is going to happen. Baldwin won't suck as bad Jenkins and we might have an extra WR, or he sucks and we cut him like we would have likely done to Jenkins anyway. The only difference is, we will have $1.934 M in dead money if we cut Baldwin this year, but only $1.746 in dead money next year for Jenkins. Take on an extra $300k in dead this year but save $1 M in dead for next. Obviously we all hope Baldwin is an upgrade, but at least there is a silver lining if he is not.