• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After the game, Brandon Marshall singles out Cutler and Gould as "selfish"

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've heard tidbits of this here and there, but haven't seen a thread dedicated to it.

After the game, evidently the press could hear Brandon Marshall shouting at the rest of the team and singling out his buddy, Jay Cutler, and Robbie Gould as "selfish." Evidently there is frustration over the amount of times Jay has turned over the ball. The article doesn't explain why Gould was singled out as well.

According to the article, Jay's turnovers have resulted in the Bears' opponents scoring 37 points.

I personally did not expect Brandon Marshall to turn on Jay. I'm not against it, I just didn't expect it. Brandon Marshall claims that he and Jay are still very good friends off the field, but this evidently had been bothering him.

I remember a similar situation back in 2003 when Mike Brown chewed out his team after a game and claimed that they were looking for ways to lose games.....after that incident, they went on a massive winning streak and, if I'm not mistaken, lost the division championship.

Thoughts?

Brandon Marshall of Chicago Bears calls loss 'unacceptable' - ESPN Chicago

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminded me of the 2005 Mike Brown incident as well, which did propel them from an ugly 1-3 start to an 8 game winning streak. And also, to an NFC North crown with an 11-5 record.

People are acting as if all of this post-game locker room nonsense is the worst thing that could have happened. IMO, it actually intrigues me. A lot of times when things seem to be going haywire, the sky looks like it just fell, and nothing is falling your way. It's best to clear the air, blow the whole damn thing to pieces, and start all over. Not every time, and maybe not the majority of the time... but a decent portion of the time, you'll see the team actually grow closer and start to tread in the right direction.

I have no way of knowing if this can happen for the Bears, but I don't think it can really hurt. If the team just went their separate ways, and decided to say "fuck it". In all likelihood, we'd just see more of the same.

It's definitely time for a players meeting. Maybe a leader will actually emerge out of this whole thing.

At least yelling at each other is a start. It shows that they at least seem to give a shit about correcting it. Sure… there's a chance now that they could absolutely dissolve into pieces and finish 4-12. But personally, 4-12 or 7-9. I don't really give a shit. At least this gives me a little bit of hope that they stand a chance of coming together and perhaps righting the ship. Even if it seems slim right now.

All of this actually really intrigues me as to how they will respond Sunday vs NE. Do they turn against each other, go on the road and get absolutely crushed by a good team? Or, do they come together, show some fight, and play a tough game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selfish?? Makes no sense. He should call out the coaches as they clearly are not NFL caliber. Not sure what selfish means or how that is part of a problem.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story was all Peggy Kuzinski. She was recording at the door waiting to get into the locker room. Brandmeier had her on his show in the 6am hour monday morning, she is a friend to the show. All he said to Gould was "You're just the kicker". Thats a long time real voted captain trying to step in and calm him down. Had nothing to do with selfish. There is no way it should be construed against Gould as selfish.

This has been brewing between Jay and Marshall since Brandon got blamed for that route that led to the green bay interception and nobody blamed Jay, it was all Marshalls fault. He kept quiet then, didnt even talk to the reporters.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pick against GB was ALL Jay's fault. BM read the D correctly and adjusted, Jay did not.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pick against GB was ALL Jay's fault. BM read the D correctly and adjusted, Jay did not.

I don't remember the play exactly.......was that when Marshall was even with the defensive back so it was a "if I'm even, I'm leavin'" type of route. Marshall continued down the field and Jay threw it short?

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
leadership on the field is where winning starts.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember the play exactly.......was that when Marshall was even with the defensive back so it was a "if I'm even, I'm leavin'" type of route. Marshall continued down the field and Jay threw it short?

Yes, the defender was on the inside, Marshall was towards the sideline. If the DB was outside, Brandons body shields the pass from the DB on the inside so he does the button hook for an easy catch. If the DB is inside, the adjustment is to beat him deep.

It was clear the DB sat down for the button hook and the ball was thrown right to him. If Brandon made that adjustment, he would have no doubt been 100% covered anyway.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the defender was on the inside, Marshall was towards the sideline. If the DB was outside, Brandons body shields the pass from the DB on the inside so he does the button hook for an easy catch. If the DB is inside, the adjustment is to beat him deep.

It was clear the DB sat down for the button hook and the ball was thrown right to him. If Brandon made that adjustment, he would have no doubt been 100% covered anyway.

The head coach of the Chicago Bears says differently. You know? The guy who designed the offense? I'll take his word.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard his interview today where he basically refused to apologize, and said that he feels like they have the tools and coaching in place to do great things if everyone would just do their job. He didnt call anyone out directly, but left certain people off the list of those he included in the ones who do their job list. I think it could be a good thing. No excuse for losing 3 games at home already, and he is tired of the team playing like shit. Its not just Jay, but he definitely stunk up the joint.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The head coach of the Chicago Bears says differently. You know? The guy who designed the offense? I'll take his word.

If you put a pee wee football team out there and told him to stop and do a button hook, the 7 year old would say, I cant, the other guy is standing there.

The guy you are speaking up has his head so far up Jays ass, I cant think its possible for him to see straight.

Remember those that called Cutler a coach killer? Trestman listened to that.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone is reading into this too much... This is what reporters got (after the doors were open)
Brandon Marshall:
''We've got Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, Matt Forte. We've got a stud offensive line. We've got a great, great group of guys. And this is unacceptable. What did we put up, 14 points? Was it 14 points? That's unacceptable.''
''My confidence is there. Alshon Jeffery's confidence is there. Martellus Bennett's confidence is there.''
And what of Jay Cutler's confidence?
''Jay is a gunslinger. Jay is our guy. Jay is our leader.''

This bold portion was left out in many national reports... Then the talking heads would speculate and infer that he was leaving Jay out on purpose. It's a none issue IMO.

Marshall went on to say on Inside the NFL: “I have a really nice condo, and guess what: Jay Cutler built that condo. We're great. We're great," Marshall said.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that Marshall and a lot of people keep saying that I don't quite buy... "They have a good Offensive Line" I don't see that at all.

They have only produced 2 of 7 games with over 100 yards rushing... only averaging 65 yards rushing the other 5 games. We can say it's play calling. That is a big issue of simply not calling enough runs- OR is it they are not calling as many running plays, simply because they can't do it very well? Chicken or the Egg?
Jay's also been sacked 17 times. (it's a lot of pass attempts, so that's kinda expected- but still not good enough) Tied for 4th most in the league with Rodgers, who we can all agree doesn't have the greatest line...(except of course for when they play the Bears) hell Matt Ryan's Oline has only given up 15!
We've all said that Mills isn't good enough... they have been injured on the line- shuffled, moved... I think Miami was the first time they have played as a whole unit since the first half of the first game.
Just think this needs to be examined a little farther too.

The Bears do have great skill players- On paper... in reality, they have had two major star WR's who limped through the first 4 games... and haven't made nearly as many amazing "go up and get it" jump ball plays they have in the past. They have had chances. Marshall had 4 balls thrown his way IN the endzone in the 4th quarter on Sunday and he didn't catch any of them... call em "prayers" or whatever but that's his job too... to make those catches. Box out the smaller DB and "go up and get it" Jeffery has been good- but he's not winning battles either. Not like we saw last year. I mean come on McCown made $10M in part because of two of the most amazing catches against Minny I have ever seen.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you put a pee wee football team out there and told him to stop and do a button hook, the 7 year old would say, I cant, the other guy is standing there.

The guy you are speaking up has his head so far up Jays ass, I cant think its possible for him to see straight.

Remember those that called Cutler a coach killer? Trestman listened to that.

You know man… whatever. Marshall clearly didn't do what he was supposed to. That's all I know. Everyone to do with the play, including the coach acknowledged it. You're a guy on a message board watching from his couch. Sorry… I'll take it from the pros and the coach who have also watched it on film.