• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears 14 Gould 9 - Grades & Game Balls

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the second straight year the Bears kept the 49ers out of the end zone. Unlike last year tho, Robbie Gould did not provide the difference maker, altho he was still splittin' those posts when he was given the opportunity. Under the circumstances, we'll take this one. It wasn't a thing of beauty, but after a tough, division-clinching win last week over the Pack, it would have been understandable for a letdown. Yet the Bears prevailed, almost in spite of themselves. Grades:

QB: A-
Trubisky started a bit slowly, had an INT called back due to a Niner penalty, with his worst play being that dumb pitch back to Cohen, resulting in a costly fumble. But overall he did a credible job at guiding the team, making a bunch of safe, high percentage throws, eating up clock, and moving the chains.

RB: C+
Not a lot of action with our RBs today, altho I liked Howard's downhill plowing on a number of carries, getting some key 1st downs in the process. Cohen not much of a factor.

WR: B
Miller finally showed up, Robinson was our top receiver, altho that punch-out fumble late in the game, which would have iced it right then and there had he held onto the ball, gave the Niners a last gasp opportunity. Fortunately, no harm, no foul.

OL: B-
They did an overall decent job of protecting Mitch and opening a few running lanes, but some untimely penalties cost us some momentum here and there.

DL: A
Thought for the most part our DL controlled the LOS. They all but eliminated SF's run game. Hicks had what....3, 4 batted balls? LOL, I lost count.

LB: A-
Only one sack in the entire game for the Bears D, but it was a huge one by Smith, who had his usual solid game. Mack was double/triple covered on many plays, yet still made his presence felt on a number of plays. Critical and timely tipped INT by Trevethan.

Secondary: B-
Thought they played a little too soft, but I think the approach by Fangio was one of bend-don't-break, especially in lieu of the Niners inability to get in the end zone last year, a feat repeated today. Under the circumstances, I thought both Bush and McManis played well in place of our injured starters.

ST: D+
Parkey continues to remind us way more of Connor Barth than Robbie Gould, and a few too many penalties by our STs.

Coaching: B+
It was safe, by the numbers type of play-calling on both sides of the ball, with the exception of that dumb pitch back fumble - not sure if it was what Nagy dialed up, but at least it didn't ultimately cost us the game.

Game Balls:
Offense: Robinson (I'll forgive him for that fumble), Howard, Trubisky
Defense: Hicks, Smith, Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching C- for me. Well the offensive side of coaching. Going for forth on our own 35? the trick play, forgetting Howard in the 2nd half. Nagy had a rookie game today IMO. We need to move the ball like earlier in the year.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching C- for me. Well the offensive side of coaching. Going for forth on our own 35? the trick play, forgetting Howard in the 2nd half. Nagy had a rookie game today IMO. We need to move the ball like earlier in the year.
That was 4th and centimeters, I was all for that call. Good point tho on neglecting Howard in the 2nd half when he was doing a solid job for the most part.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not from the 35 when we lead and the D is on fire. Punt/pin/destroy.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballsy call by Nagy. If we don't make it, Nagy is a donkey but we made it so gotta give him credit.

Trubisky getting an A- is a bit too high. I would give him a B-

Our LBs played great today.

Parkey is horrible. I don't think it's nerves either, he's just not that accurate. He's going to hurt us in a playoff game.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballsy call by Nagy. If we don't make it, Nagy is a donkey but we made it so gotta give him credit.

Trubisky getting an A- is a bit too high. I would give him a B-

Our LBs played great today.

Parkey is horrible. I don't think it's nerves either, he's just not that accurate. He's going to hurt us in a playoff game.
At worst I would meet you halfway and give Trubs a B+. Remember, he posted some solid numbers and did a great job at moving the chains and eating up the clock. I'm the first to say that stats never tell the whole story, but 25-29 for 246 yards and a TD is a good day by just about anyone's standards.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we are going to have to all learn to live with Nagy's quirks. Yes, he went for it with inches to go at his own 35, and yes he went for a fake punt last game, and yes he put in a formation at the goal line that was all O linemen and D linemen.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we are going to have to all learn to live with Nagy's quirks. Yes, he went for it with inches to go at his own 35, and yes he went for a fake punt last game, and yes he put in a formation at the goal line that was all O linemen and D linemen.
The key to the 3rd and inches from the 35 IMO, is that he called the only acceptable playcall...a QB sneak. Any other call, and I would have had his proverbial head in here this morning.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key to the 3rd and inches from the 35 IMO, is that he called the only acceptable playcall...a QB sneak. Any other call, and I would have had his proverbial head in here this morning.
Oh, I agree, for a call it made sense if you were going to call something there, unlike the mizzel run followed by the fake punt last week, both of which had me scratching my head.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, if we didn't pick that up...

Jesus. I would have been quite livid.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, if we didn't pick that up...

Jesus. I would have been quite livid.

No doubt, no doubt. But there is another part of me that likes that he's willing to close out the game and put teams away, so to speak. There was enough time left at that point, that a punt there would've hurt us, particularly aligned with "the feel" of the game. This game "felt" like a loss on a lot of levels, so I get not wanting to put the ball back in SF's hands. I trust our D, but that game just felt like if we punted there, they were going to somehow win. So many times in years passed, our inability to gain 1 yard, would end up costing us multiple games.

I wish he would've employed that same mentality at the end of regulation against the Giants. I think he should've gone for 2 and the walk-off win there instead of forcing overtime on the road, in a game where it took a miracle to even be in it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, maybe I'm just getting crazier in my older years. But I never hesitated on wanting to go for that 1st down, it was no-brainer material for me. In fact I would have been pissed if we punted.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, maybe I'm just getting crazier in my older years. But I never hesitated on wanting to go for that 1st down, it was no-brainer material for me. In fact I would have been pissed if we punted.

I guess the D had given me enough reason for confidence if we pin them back.