• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC West Stock Watch:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to admit the Raiders are looking much better on both sides of the ball than I thought they would. Like you said with the AFC being very very to heavy it looks like the Raiders will be in the thick of the playoff race this year.

The Chiefs again because of teams being so down are only 1.5 games out of the playoffs right now. Nowhere near being out especially with that defense looking much better. I honestly could see another year where 3 teams in the AFC West make it. Makes our schedule look just a little more challenging.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to build a team to beat your division rival - I do not see that in JDR's Raiders. They are an above average AFC team - and based on the first half - should make the playoffs (still thin in depth). You have to run right at the Broncos and succeed to beat them.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Mingo. The Broncos should still handle the Raiders this season in the Denver game. But let's project ahead for the sake of discussion. Let's say the Raiders grab the #5 seed at 10-6 and face the Colts in Indy for the WC game. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt in that one and assuming the 3 seed takes out the 6 seed, and further assuming the Broncos are the #1 seed, that would set up a divisional round showdown with the Raiders.

Of course, that's a lot of assuming. Almost too much, in fact. But still fun to think of.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IKno - I just want the season to slow down so I can savory it -what we are seeing is special on defense - and I think the offense can also be special - which will make it a special season - enjoy.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. We have a legitimate shot at improving to 8-0 next week and just as importantly as the win is further improvement on the offense. I think we all want to see Manning go in there and torch his old team.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs won out this week on their bye with the Charger losing last night. They picked up ground on all three divisional foes. ;)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs won out this week on their bye with the Charger losing last night. They picked up ground on all three divisional foes. ;)

I guess you're right. I was glad to see the Chargers drop another one last night. Prior to the season, the Chiefs and Broncos got an equal share of picks to win the West, with a few people giving the Chargers the nod. Nobody picked the Raiders at all, other than Raiders fans. They went into Pittsburgh and gave the Steelers a game.

At 7-1 it's hard to see anyone catching the Broncos. And while it's easy to get down on this Broncos team because of the way the offense has looked, I maintain it can be turned around. The Colts have looked like a steaming heap of shit most outs this year and look what they did the other night. If they can the Broncos can.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I think the Chiefs lose next week the ground they gained this week.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you're right. I was glad to see the Chargers drop another one last night. Prior to the season, the Chiefs and Broncos got an equal share of picks to win the West, with a few people giving the Chargers the nod. Nobody picked the Raiders at all, other than Raiders fans. They went into Pittsburgh and gave the Steelers a game.

At 7-1 it's hard to see anyone catching the Broncos. And while it's easy to get down on this Broncos team because of the way the offense has looked, I maintain it can be turned around. The Colts have looked like a steaming heap of shit most outs this year and look what they did the other night. If they can the Broncos can.

I think one thing you have to look at with the Colts is they do seem to play up or down compared to their competition. The other 2 undefeated teams they played they kept the game very close. They were beating the Patriots at half time. A few ridiculously stupid Special Teams decisions really destroyed what could have been a big time upset. Against Carolina they took the game to over time. So one down game for the Broncos definitely does not spell doom for the season. In fact sometimes it does take a loss to really awaken a team to be willing to ask the tough questions.

I definitely did not see the Raiders being the team they are this year. I figured they were still another year and another decent draft away from rising up the way they have. They still haven't found a way to win those close games though. That is a weakness of a team so used to losing and having such a young team. The Chiefs and Chargers just look down right terrible. The Chiefs have bounced back a little here lately as the defense has picked it up but I still don't think that offense can give them enough life to stay alive in the playoff race.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs defense has been playing good ball for a few weeks now, despite allowing the Bears to come back and beat them. Their offense has no juice though, despite hanging 45 on the Lions. Most NFL offenses, even bad ones, have a performance like that every season where it all just works out.

The Raiders are a lot better than a lot of us thought they'd be. They also have a crucial tie breaker over the Jets so that may factor into the playoffs later. But I don't think they have the defense to get them to 9-7 or 10-6. They are a vastly improved team but I doubt they make the playoffs this year.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason the Raiders are being discussed as a playoff team is because besides Den,NE and Cincy the rest of the AFC is pretty ugly. I would be willing to bet that the 5th seed, whether it's the Raiders or someone else will be .500 or Worse. Their won't be a 10-6 fifth seed in AFC this yr. PS. I do think Oakland is on their way to good things in the future though as long as Del Rio stays out of the qualified coaches way. :)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDR=500 teams for as long as there is sun shine .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say a 9-7 team makes the playoffs this year as the 5th seed. I don't see that being Oakland though. I see them losing 1 of the next 3 which would put them at 6-5. I then see them losing at least one to the Chiefs, the game against the Broncos, and of the game against Green Bay. That would put them at 8-8 for the year. That might be good enough for the playoffs though as they do have the tie breaker over the Jets who I think will finish right in that same area.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr is a good qb, Oakland can get better overnight when you got one of those

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr is a good qb, Oakland can get better overnight when you got one of those
Yep, and with Murray and Cooper they have some firepower on offense. In some ways they remind me of the mid 2000s Bengals teams with Palmer, Chad Johnson (before he changed his name), and Rudi Johnson. They had a pretty explosive offense there for awhile. I could see the Raiders building something similar.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and with Murray and Cooper they have some firepower on offense. In some ways they remind me of the mid 2000s Bengals teams with Palmer, Chad Johnson (before he changed his name), and Rudi Johnson. They had a pretty explosive offense there for awhile. I could see the Raiders building something similar.

The Raiders to me are going to have 2 problems though. 1) Can they actually attract FA's to want to come to Oakland. Remember California has some of the highest taxes in the country so that factors in on how much a player actually makes. 2) They have an owner now that is a major cheap skate. He barely wants to spend up to the NFL Spending Floor. I'm not sure he is committed enough to get this team to the level they need to go. Have to remember they have what I would consider a 3-year window with Carr being on such a cheap contract. This year is included in that. They will have to pay both Carr and Mack in the same year. So they have this short window to really surround this team with talent and have a good shot at winning. Once the high priced contracts begin to hit team building becomes much more complicated. The Seahawks are beginning to experience that right now.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Good points, CD. The Seahawks nearly fell apart once the bills came due. Two things though: 1) they didn't fully come apart and are still a solid team and 2) even if they had, it was a good run with a SB win an additional SB appearance.

In the Raiders case there is still the variable of moving to Los Angeles. I understand the league is in deliberations this week about the Raiders, Chargers and Rams and Los Angeles. If this is not resolved going into the 2016 season though it'll be another factor in attracting FAs who will be wanting multi-year deals. It'll be hard for the Raiders to be an attractive option if the uncertainty of a team move is still lingering over the franchise.

Now the comparison to the Bengals is pretty solid. That team could pass and score on anyone it seemed, but gave up a lot of points. Look at the Raiders right now. They allow over 26 PPG. That offense of theirs has to perform at a high level every time. And they have been. It makes the Broncos shutting them down and holding them to 10 a pretty impressive feat in retrospect. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Raiders reach 8-8. But unless their defense starts playing better it's hard to see them much better than that.