• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: AFC Championship Game: New England @ Kansas City 6:40 Eastern Time on CBS

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:they both started Sunday. Even if one started 23 hrs and 59 mins before the other one there is still a difference of 10 pages.
This one got off to a faster start would be my guess.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will this be the game where the Old guard passes the torch to the new guard?
Or will he say not today?

I think the Chiefs will pull it out, but not confident enough to bet on it.

So I just took the over instead.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC FO and coaching staff have been burning the midnight oil.

2rkjym.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...the last two standing in the AFC.

This one is pretty easy from a rooting perspective...KC! Sorry Pats fans, but you guys are used to it. I like the Mahomes kid, but the real reason is I'm trying to protect 6 and you know what that means. If NE ties, PIT, they will surely get to 7 before PIT if they can hang on the Brady for another yr or so.

I really thought the Chargers took the Steelers faulty gameplan into that game last week. Apparently Lynn and staff got the wrong memo...you do not give Brady and McDaniels a steady diet of zone DEF and rush 4, occasionally 5. They did, NE killed it like they always do...got a big lead and made Rivers one dimensional, and BB was able to tee off on him, and it was mostly a wrap.

I don't think Reid will defend NE that way...on OFC, Reid just needs to keep the run game alive for 4 qtrs and force NE to defend the run and pass....if they do, I like the Chiefs...27-24

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Reid will defend NE that way...on OFC, Reid just needs to keep the run game alive for 4 qtrs and force NE to defend the run and pass....if they do, I like the Chiefs...27-24

Only one problem with your game plan. While a good running game keeps the opposition off the field, Kansas City cannot win a game if it's strictly running. The NE defense is very close to the top running defense over the past 8 weeks. NE has had nearly the top rushing game over the last month averaging near 200 yards a game.

Defense will be critical and each team has to do one thing and one thing only.

Patriots must rush five and keep Mahomes in the pocket and not allow him to run and throw. Once he's outside the pocket, it allows his receivers to break coverage and Mahomes has been fortunate in that he's been able to find an open receiver and make plays. Secondary cannot 'wait' to see where WR are going, they have to just go with them and reduce the open space.

Chiefs absolutely must pass rush inside. If they can't and try to get to Brady from the edge, it allows Brady to step up and gives him and extra second. That will be the downfall. They also must stop the run, which they have sucked at for the entire year. They've been able to get up on teams by a couple of scores and forced them to throw and get away from the run and that plays into their strength.

It's truly simple. Brady was releasing the ball against the Chargers under two seconds. No defense can get to anyone who gets rid of the ball that quick. He's not looking to get huge chunks of yardage, he's looking to get five or six yards with every completion. If the short passing game clicks, Brady will have 350 yards at the end of the game and a couple of TDs. If you watched some of the vidoesafter the Charger game, Joey Bosa was so frustrated that he couldn't get Brady that he was saying how 'amazing' his release was. He kept repeating it to anyone who would listen on the sideline.

If Mahomes can stay healthy for his entire career, he could be the best ever passing QB on the run. He does things that every QB is told NOT to do. He throws across his body nearly backwards and has gotten away with it. He throws short passes in extreme traffic side-arm and gets away with it. All on the run, which is crazy. His problem is standing in the pocket with nowhere to go and throwing the ball over the top. It takes alot of the speed of the throw away because it forces the QB to put air under the ball.

Since the Football Gods didn't want to havto sit in sub zero weather, they have kept the feared Artcic Freeze north of KC and forced Horace to race across the country. The weather will be cloudy and around 20 degrees at game time. The ball will hard and slick, but the game will be of no advantage to either team.

Last team to score wins.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one problem with your game plan. While a good running game keeps the opposition off the field, Kansas City cannot win a game if it's strictly running. The NE defense is very close to the top running defense over the past 8 weeks. NE has had nearly the top rushing game over the last month averaging near 200 yards a game

Not really if you're getting owned by 11 personnel in that span.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one problem with your game plan. While a good running game keeps the opposition off the field, Kansas City cannot win a game if it's strictly running. The NE defense is very close to the top running defense over the past 8 weeks. NE has had nearly the top rushing game over the last month averaging near 200 yards a game.

Defense will be critical and each team has to do one thing and one thing only.

Patriots must rush five and keep Mahomes in the pocket and not allow him to run and throw. Once he's outside the pocket, it allows his receivers to break coverage and Mahomes has been fortunate in that he's been able to find an open receiver and make plays. Secondary cannot 'wait' to see where WR are going, they have to just go with them and reduce the open space.

Chiefs absolutely must pass rush inside. If they can't and try to get to Brady from the edge, it allows Brady to step up and gives him and extra second. That will be the downfall. They also must stop the run, which they have sucked at for the entire year. They've been able to get up on teams by a couple of scores and forced them to throw and get away from the run and that plays into their strength.

It's truly simple. Brady was releasing the ball against the Chargers under two seconds. No defense can get to anyone who gets rid of the ball that quick. He's not looking to get huge chunks of yardage, he's looking to get five or six yards with every completion. If the short passing game clicks, Brady will have 350 yards at the end of the game and a couple of TDs. If you watched some of the vidoesafter the Charger game, Joey Bosa was so frustrated that he couldn't get Brady that he was saying how 'amazing' his release was. He kept repeating it to anyone who would listen on the sideline.

If Mahomes can stay healthy for his entire career, he could be the best ever passing QB on the run. He does things that every QB is told NOT to do. He throws across his body nearly backwards and has gotten away with it. He throws short passes in extreme traffic side-arm and gets away with it. All on the run, which is crazy. His problem is standing in the pocket with nowhere to go and throwing the ball over the top. It takes alot of the speed of the throw away because it forces the QB to put air under the ball.

Since the Football Gods didn't want to havto sit in sub zero weather, they have kept the feared Artcic Freeze north of KC and forced Horace to race across the country. The weather will be cloudy and around 20 degrees at game time. The ball will hard and slick, but the game will be of no advantage to either team.

Last team to score wins.

I think you misinterpreted my thoughts on the run game for KC...no way will Andy Reid pump the brakes on Mahomes and turn this into a 60/40 run attack. Nor should he. But if you've followed Reid much you know he can be very pass happy and that could put his young QB in some bad spots if he starts trying force it...he could throw a couple to the wrong team. NE may not be great on the DL, but the back end is very good.

KC needs to keep those LBs from getting that extra yd or so of depth...to do that they must respect the run.

On NE OFC...obviously you see your team week in, week out., But man I've seen how PIT defends NE for years. Heavy doses of zone will not cut it....this yr, PIT played about 50% man vs NE...a rare feat. Yeah...of course the QB can throw it quick vs a zone when WRs/RBs get a free release vs a zone DEF...that's why you play press man again these kinds of teams...primarily what you want to do is throw off the timing.

All pocket passer have been trained since HS to step up in the pocket to buy time, so it's no secret you need to cave the pocket from the inside.

I suppose CBS wanted NE in primetime, but it made a lot more sense to play the outdoor game early and the dome game late, but it is what it is...doesn't favor either team.

I tend to agree it will be a close game late.