• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: AFC Championship Game: New England @ Kansas City 6:40 Eastern Time on CBS

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All season. The offense made people forget about how poorly the D actually played (during the season).
I don't think very many people think this- most people would just argue that offense dominates the sport now, besides being more stable than defense, which is what prevents the Chiefs from being say an 8-8 team rather than the best team by DVOA.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could Chiefs come close to winning with this type of defense?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could Chiefs come close to winning with this type of defense?

Because their offense is really, really, really, really good compared to even the 3rd or so best offense in the league. (the ST's are also pretty good)

Which is all to say: Mahomes was pretty indispensable to a SB contending run for any span of time.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think very many people think this- most people would just argue that offense dominates the sport now, besides being more stable than defense, which is what prevents the Chiefs from being say an 8-8 team rather than the best team by DVOA.

I just meant that people were so blown away by the offense (as they should be) and forget what the defense did/didn't do is all

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just meant that people were so blown away by the offense (as they should be) and forget what the defense did/didn't do is all
I don't think people forget the D, if anything they spent too much time on it. And now we're working backwards not that they happened to lose prior to the SB.

It goes back to what I was saying earlier, it's not that people forget the D, the O was just that good.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because their offense is really, really, really, really good compared to even the 3rd or so best offense in the league. (the ST's are also pretty good)

Which is all to say: Mahomes was pretty indispensable to a SB contending run for any span of time.

Well yeah

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First it's difficult to cover all the weapons NE has. You never know when a TE, RB, or FB will leak out into coverage.
Combine that with a D being on the field for 40+ minutes and this is the result.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people forget the D, if anything they spent too much time on it. And now we're working backwards not that they happened to lose prior to the SB.

It goes back to what I was saying earlier, it's not that people forget the D, the O was just that good.

Yes the O was that damn good, really was.... Reid didn't really seem to make any adjustments however so he deserves some blame as well. Also, why didn't he call a time out when the D was clearly gased? hindsight I know and obviously I am glad he didn't but man that was bad

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the O was that damn good, really was.... Reid didn't really seem to make any adjustments however so he deserves some blame as well. Also, why didn't he call a time out when the D was clearly gased? hindsight I know and obviously I am glad he didn't but man that was bad
Second guessing himself because of all his past time management blunders:noidea: it made no sense not to use a timeout there.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second guessing himself because of all his past time management blunders:noidea: it made no sense not to use a timeout there.

Most likely. He is a good coach for the most part but his clock management skills need work...... With that said, the Chiefs will be back

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His offense scored 31 in the 2nd half?

He fired the DC not making adjustments, so...

Lastly, the theory that you can exhaust a team in the NFL is a bit of a goose chase atm. I really doubt it makes a difference with Sutton as the DC.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His offense scored 31 in the 2nd half?

He fired the DC not making adjustments, so...

I get that but Reid should have a little more say in the D (at least I thought he did)... Yes he's not the DC but still you have to think he has a lot to say with the D... I just meant overall adjustments (offense was gonna come around no matter what anyone did or didn't do, they are just that good)

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely. He is a good coach for the most part but his clock management skills need work...... With that said, the Chiefs will be back
They have a talented team, young suoerstar QB, decent coach, great fanbase/HFA. No reason for them not to contend for a long time.

How are they looking FA wise, cap and draft this next year? Too lazy to look it up myself.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but Reid should have a little more say in the D (at least I thought he did)... Yes he's not the DC but still you have to think he has a lot to say with the D... I just meant overall adjustments (offense was gonna come around no matter what anyone did or didn't do, they are just that good)
Dude sits to Mahomes when the defense is on the field- it's basically 0.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude sits to Mahomes when the defense is on the field- it's basically 0.

I will take your word for it. You know what you are talking about as you obviously watch more than I. So I concede to you

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a talented team, young suoerstar QB, decent coach, great fanbase/HFA. No reason for them not to contend for a long time.

How are they looking FA wise, cap and draft this next year? Too lazy to look it up myself.
Not likely to be active in FA- they'll be handing out extensions more likely unless someone offered something they couldn't refuse for Ford in a trade on presumably a FT. Then that kind of screws up everything I had planned in my head and all options are on the table.

They could backload something, but the wisdom of that seems highly questionable given it shouldn't take many pieces to round out the D from the draft, on paper.

Nelson will be gone most likely, but Ward kinda looks the same-ish so far to me so that may or may not end up being a wash. The biggest question is when Berry is capable playing. He almost certainly would opt for surgery for both career motivated and financial reasons, so the Chiefs cutting him is borderline impossible as a practical matter; especially when things like PUP exist.

If the Chiefs go with Spags, one has to have serious questions how Ford fits in the base of a 4-3 (even in a subpackage league)

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not likely to be active in FA- they'll be handing out extensions more likely unless someone offered something they couldn't refuse for Ford in a trade on presumably a FT. Then that kind of screws up everything I had planned in my head and all options are on the table.

They could backload something, but the wisdom of that seems highly questionable given it shouldn't take many pieces to round out the D from the draft, on paper.

Nelson will be gone most likely, but Ward kinda looks the same-ish so far to me so that may or may not end up being a wash. The biggest question is when Berry is capable playing. He almost certainly would opt for surgery for both career motivated and financial reasons, so the Chiefs cutting him is borderline impossible as a practical matter; especially when things like PUP exist.

If the Chiefs go with Spags, one has to have serious questions how Ford fits in the base of a 4-3 (even in a subpackage league)
Thanks.
So they have a few decisions like most teams. But nothing out of character for NFL teams.
Yep they should challenge for years. Got to love that Mahomes kid.