• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Scott is one upping Dechambeau. Putting with flag stick in every time.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Roy Munson they have continued to demonstrate they have ZERO common sense. They are one of the worst governing sports authorities in the world.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Roy Munson they have continued to demonstrate they have ZERO common sense. They are one of the worst governing sports authorities in the world.

Although this flagstick rule doesn’t bother me, I would have to agree. The rules of golf are pretty ridiculous and they take it a bit too seriously.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although this flagstick rule doesn’t bother me, I would have to agree. The rules of golf are pretty ridiculous and they take it a bit too seriously.

They had their chance to rewrite the rules because they admitted as much and then things just got goofy.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it keeps the hack from sitting over his 2 foot putt that he's about to miss like he's got his tour card on the line that's playing in front of me then I'm all for it.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it keeps the hack from sitting over his 2 foot putt that he's about to miss like he's got his tour card on the line that's playing in front of me then I'm all for it.

I'm all for any rule that helps the average Joe to play a quicker round and cut down on the waiting at the tee.

The Pro level is a far different story for me.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for any rule that helps the average Joe to play a quicker round and cut down on the waiting at the tee.

The Pro level is a far different story for me.

The average joe players ignores half the rules anyway. But he/she will spend 15 minutes looking for a used ball they lost.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm playing a round by myself I've never pulled the pin unless there's slow play in front of me and I'm not getting waived through.

catlanta33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lateral drop should speed up the game but I think the biggest obstacle for increasing speed is guys that play too far back and looking for lost balls. Or, guys that wait for hitting 275 yard Par approaches after you just watched them shank two balls to where they are hitting from.

Not that it would happen but have seen it enforced at one course in Atlanta. Each tee box is assigned a handicap range. If you're 0-5 tips, 6-10 blue , 10-15 or even higher white is the furthest back you play.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was such a dumb move.

A putt rolling into the hole is a much of part golf's DNA as any of the part of the game.

Say come Sunday at Augusta, the putt with the flag stick out misses but the one with the flag in wins it?
The optics on that will be so galactically bad.

And it's all for nothing. If you wanted to speed up play, why not just shorten the time before guys are put on the clock.

This was such a drastic move and I think the reason that it was to speed up play was bullshit.
Only complete desperation for ratings do people come up with idea's this stupid.

A stiff response here...huh

I don't think this one was really directed at touring pros with caddies. Not from a pace of play stand point for sure.

The optics...it's different, we're still getting used to it as recreational golfers, but mostly still taking the flag out for shortish putts. Doesn't bother me that much.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lateral drop should speed up the game but I think the biggest obstacle for increasing speed is guys that play too far back and looking for lost balls. Or, guys that wait for hitting 275 yard Par approaches after you just watched them shank two balls to where they are hitting from.

Not that it would happen but have seen it enforced at one course in Atlanta. Each tee box is assigned a handicap range. If you're 0-5 tips, 6-10 blue , 10-15 or even higher white is the furthest back you play.

Wild or short...most short guys know they're short and have no problems moving up a box. Wild is a different animal...I think off the tee, is wild off the tee...ball probably will be deeper into the woods from the white tees. Holding that player to the 3 min max and after a while no looking, just drop and hit....only way to speed them up.

One thing that will speed up play in our group is continuous putting...we do everything reasonably okay except putt out. We're notorious about marking 3-4' putts even if you're not going to be standing in someone's line.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would not surprise me at all.

I know Augusta controls just about everything at it's event. But can they block a USGA rule from being used?

Interesting to see how that goes.

I believe they can.

catlanta33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild or short...most short guys know they're short and have no problems moving up a box. Wild is a different animal...I think off the tee, is wild off the tee...ball probably will be deeper into the woods from the white tees. Holding that player to the 3 min max and after a while no looking, just drop and hit....only way to speed them up.

One thing that will speed up play in our group is continuous putting...we do everything reasonably okay except putt out. We're notorious about marking 3-4' putts even if you're not going to be standing in someone's line.

I could see the wild angle. If I'm spraying, they're long but deep OB. Even still, you would be dropping closer to the hole and not say, maybe 40-50 yards further back because you were playing the tips.

We don't penalize each other for taking too long because that's not going to happen. We do chastise the shit out of each other for taking too long which usually leads to a meltdown by said player getting chastised.

We are pretty quick putting. We do gimmes, so that helps with speed but we're all ready to go and someone will putt when ready while the other lines up.

There are some good ways to speed up golf but most of the time, if people don't self-police then it's not going to do anything. There will always be those guy(s) that think they are entitled to taking as long as they need to and also get impatient about the group in front of them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the wild angle. If I'm spraying, they're long but deep OB. Even still, you would be dropping closer to the hole and not say, maybe 40-50 yards further back because you were playing the tips.

We don't penalize each other for taking too long because that's not going to happen. We do chastise the shit out of each other for taking too long which usually leads to a meltdown by said player getting chastised.

We are pretty quick putting. We do gimmes, so that helps with speed but we're all ready to go and someone will putt when ready while the other lines up.

There are some good ways to speed up golf but most of the time, if people don't self-police then it's not going to do anything. There will always be those guy(s) that think they are entitled to taking as long as they need to and also get impatient about the group in front of them.

At the home course...it's not a very long...6600+ from the tips and the blue tees are 6100 or so...this course is more about accuracy than shear length. You don't often see players hitting from the tips that shouldn't be. If you're really spraying it, you won't play this course too often.

Our reg group is a 3some and normally we're waiting a bit if it's a lot of 4somes ahead, but for 80s players 4 hrs with no one in front is not great pace. We have other issues aside from the green, but holding ones feet to the fire is the issue like you said. They will put you on a timer (and help you) looking for a ball though.

I used to play with a different group and continuous putting was the rule...no one wears real spikes so they didn't worry about putting lines, etc...we could knock down 18 as a 4some in 3:45 or so shooting the same scores more or less.

catlanta33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What course? I'm from Atlanta and miss several of them up there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What course? I'm from Atlanta and miss several of them up there.
I've played all over, but my reluctant home is Trophy Club of Apalachee.

They redid the greens to champions Bermuda about 3 yrs ago and imo saved the golf course. Or at least brought it back to respectability.

catlanta33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played all over, but my reluctant home is Trophy Club of Apalachee.

They redid the greens to champions Bermuda about 3 yrs ago and imo saved the golf course. Or at least brought it back to respectability.

Awesome. We didn't get out that way. We would go up 85/75/400 a lot and play the nicer courses. We usually defaulted on Chastain, which I absolutely love if I'm going off early to where it's not a 6 hour round.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expect a little confusion, lots of questions as players adapt to new rules

Interesting article on the rules changes.

Can't say the players reaction to the flag stick rule comes as a surprise.

It also covers some other rule changes and correctly anticipates that a lot of players will be calling for the rules officials
this year. I did not hear about the new ball drop rule. You can now drop the ball from knee height.

It appears that most of the rules changes are beneficial to the players. The motivation for these rules changes has to be money. So many rule changes ..just seemed to come out of nowhere. It has to be about money,

“I think that’s really weird. I don’t get that,” Simpson said. “I’m taking it out. The only scenario of me leaving it in is if I hit a bunker shot to 2 inches and there are no caddies around [to pull the flag].”

Justin Thomas echoed Simpson’s thoughts when he was asked whether he’d ever putt with the flagstick in place. “I just, I truly, I can't, I wouldn't be able to take myself seriously. I just feel like it would be very, very weird,” he said.

In an interview last year, Bryson DeChambeau suggested he would leave the flag in while putting, depending on what type of flagstick was being used, going so far as pointing out the different coefficient of restitution (COR) of certain flagsticks.

“I’m not like Bryson DeChambeau and haven’t done any research yet to figure out the COR of the flagstick,” Casey said with a smile.