• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Schefter Reporting Lance out for the season

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They've gone through like 6 starting QBs in the Shanahan era to find someone that can execute his system effectively. Not sure if it's luck or just probability. They were bound to hit on one of these guys...... eventually.

And you know, there's still time to see if the kid can handle the pressure of being a full-time NFL starter. So far so good, but still a lot of road ahead on this journey.
Agree, as good as Purdy is playing now, no guarantee this is it. An example is Mac Jones who looked like a great pick the previous season, then fell back.

Who's to say Lance can't get better and better himself?

Anyway, the team will help guide Shanahan's decision.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As a huge Lance fan, it’s hard to start him next year with Purdy playing this well. He just hasn’t had enough reps and needs time to develop. He has the athleticism and arm strength without question to be a stud but hasn’t even played a full season since what, 3 years ago?
I believe Lance has improved relative to the reps he's taken, and a fan too. Don't see a reason why he can't continue his upward projection as he continues to play? So now with Purdy playing this well, Lance's progress will slow but won't stop.

Unfortunate for Lance it will slow but doesn't mean he should take himself out of the competition. Whether he overtakes Purdy down the road or is traded down the road, he needs to show progress even in limited reps.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While not impossible, very VERY unlikely we trade Lance. To begin with, there's no indication Lance is a bust and in fact was showing improvement with more game reps. EVERYONE knew he'd need game experience and with it, he HAS shown improvement. Its unfair to compare him to Purdy now.

Next, we'd need an offer that's somewhat close to what we gave up. Nobody in their right mind will offer it....don't think. BTW - I don't buy into they can't trade him because can't admit their mistake on Lance. Why? because Purdy came afterward and back then, NO ONE in this nation would've said don't trade for Lance but wait for Purdy next draft. Lance was NOT a mistake, its just that we got LUCKY with Purdy. Are the Patriots complaining they lucked out with Brady? Seattle didn't draft Wilson until Round 3. Would any other team wish they'd luck out like this with Mr. Irrelevant?

Next, the 49ers will incur a dead cap hit of $10M for Lance.

The 49ers will work out the future QB situation this off-season, nothing to say its "all or nothing" on a QB. QB's get hurt a lot, just have to look around the NFL.
I also think it's unlikely we trade Lance. Even if Lance wants to be traded. Having him as a backup is still pretty valuable since he's still on a relatively cheap contract and we've seen unprecedented QB injuries in the NFL.

Even if we wanted to trade Lance, I don't see any way we get anything more than a 2nd and change for him and I doubt the FO would go for that.

Hell, Lance's IG post could've just been wishing Carthon good luck. The fingers crossed emoji he used IS the "good luck" emoji.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, as good as Purdy is playing now, no guarantee this is it. An example is Mac Jones who looked like a great pick the previous season, then fell back.
Sure, it's still early on Purdy. However, Purdy won't have the same handicap that saddled Jones. Jones's OC was swapped out for a defensive coach. It shouldn't shock anyone that he regressed in year 2.
Who's to say Lance can't get better and better himself?
Agreed. More time in teh system will help Lance, but what he needs most is PT and he isn't going to get it as Purdy's backup. I could see us moving on from Lance, but probably not until after the 2023 season.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it's unlikely we trade Lance. Even if Lance wants to be traded. Having him as a backup is still pretty valuable since he's still on a relatively cheap contract and we've seen unprecedented QB injuries in the NFL.

Even if we wanted to trade Lance, I don't see any way we get anything more than a 2nd and change for him and I doubt the FO would go for that.

Hell, Lance's IG post could've just been wishing Carthon good luck. The fingers crossed emoji he used IS the "good luck" emoji.
A 2nd and change for Lance? Yikes!!! He's hardly fallen so hard due to his play.