• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Schefter Reporting Lance out for the season

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a a Tweet from Chris Biderman that showed up in the tweet panel on the CBS sports Game Tracker>

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season would be over if they didn't end up retaining JimmyG

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season would be over if they didn't end up retaining JimmyG

Will we be in for another close-ish but no Cigar(NFC Champ. or SB)? Is the defense good enough to carry Grop again to that conclusion... with only disappointment in the end? I fear that with this set back for Lance the unlucky, but maybe good, but always pushed back from reps. and experience. One season wasted is never a good outcome if he is the guy Shan thinks he can be it may be 2 seasons if healthy before he matures UGH. :brick: :frusty: :noidea::pout::ohwell::Cry:

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will we be in for another close-ish but no Cigar(NFC Champ. or SB)? Is the defense good enough to carry Grop again to that conclusion... with only disappointment in the end? I fear that with this set back for Lance the unlucky, but maybe good, but always pushed back from reps. and experience. One season wasted is never a good outcome if he is the guy Shan thinks he can be it may be 2 seasons if healthy before he matures UGH. :brick: :frusty: :noidea::pout::ohwell::Cry:
Can we count on Jimmy making it through the season? If so then I'd expect for us to be real contenders. I actually feel our chance are better when trying to win now with JimmyG vs Lance If not then the Purdy era might start at any point

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will mean that Lance will have played 5 or 6 games in 3 years. He'll sit all of this season. He sat all of last season and he only played a game or 2 in his last college season. Not a good thing for his development.

What was Kyle thinking? At that point, our running game was going great, but for some reason, our QB had as many runs as passes. You can't keep running your QB on inside power running plays and not expect an injury. Like Thanos, it's inevitable.

The FO gets fall down lucky to still have Jimmy on the team. And for 19M less!

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will mean that Lance will have played 5 or 6 games in 3 years. He'll sit all of this season. He sat all of last season and he only played a game or 2 in his last college season. Not a good thing for his development.

What was Kyle thinking? At that point, our running game was going great, but for some reason, our QB had as many runs as passes. You can't keep running your QB on inside power running plays and not expect an injury. Like Thanos, it's inevitable.

The FO gets fall down lucky to still have Jimmy on the team. And for 19M less!
I'm thinking Lance wasn't a Shanny/Lynch pick. I think Jed York succumbed to the sound machine that was poo-pooing the idea of drafting a "game manager" in Jones

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortunately, this is also my opinion regarding the SB. We can get to the play-offs but not expecting a SB win.

I know chit happens as it did in 2019, when our defense kept KC within reason. But imagine if we face this Buffalo team in the SB, our offense won't keep up with JG at the helm. While our defense MIGHT keep it reasonable again, don't see it.

No doubt the long term injury is huge, Lance is essentially delayed yet another season. Maybe not quite an entire season, but we all know the impact.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, this is also my opinion regarding the SB. We can get to the play-offs but not expecting a SB win.

I know chit happens as it did in 2019, when our defense kept KC within reason. But imagine if we face this Buffalo team in the SB, our offense won't keep up with JG at the helm. While our defense MIGHT keep it reasonable again, don't see it.

No doubt the long term injury is huge, Lance is essentially delayed yet another season. Maybe not quite an entire season, but we all know the impact.
This injury begs the question of what's going to happen after the season?

With Jimmy, It's likely that the Niners make the playoffs again. Suppose we win a game or 2, but miss out on the SB. What happens after the season?

Jimmy can't be tagged. We aren't going to pay him starter money. So, he likely leaves the team. Does that mean we go back to Lance as "the guy" all offseason or do we bring in a real vet backup that might push him a little?

Or will we just go into 2023 like we did 2022, with Lance as the starter, Purdy as the backup, and just see what happens with an eye to bringing in competition for him in 2024 if he struggles in 2023 (which he will)?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This injury begs the question of what's going to happen after the season?

With Jimmy, It's likely that the Niners make the playoffs again. Suppose we win a game or 2, but miss out on the SB. What happens after the season?

Jimmy can't be tagged. We aren't going to pay him starter money. So, he likely leaves the team. Does that mean we go back to Lance as "the guy" all offseason or do we bring in a real vet backup that might push him a little?

Or will we just go into 2023 like we did 2022, with Lance as the starter, Purdy as the backup, and just see what happens with an eye to bringing in competition for him in 2024 if he struggles in 2023 (which he will)?
To me we go into next season with Trey Lance as starter and Brock Purdy as the back-up. I was totally for Lance this season so he'll be ready to start the next. Even though Purdy might not play this season, he won't be a 'pure' rookie next season. So if Shannahan had this much confidence in him now, i'm ok with Purdy as the back-up next season.

What we add to the PS will be interesting?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Ran Carton was signed to be the Titans GM, Trey Lance posted on his Instagram a photo Carthon with three “fingers crossed” emojis. Looks like a clear implication that he hopes the new GM will trade for him. With the way Purdy has played, I don’t blame Lance for wanting out.

The Titans may be in the market for a quarterback in 2023. Ryan Tannehill has a $36.6 million cap number and a $27 million base salary in the final year of his deal. The coaching staff went with Josh Dobbs over Malik Willis when the playoffs were on the line, so they don't appear to believe in the 3rd rd Willis all that much.

Let the Purdy era begin
Oh, the irony of this September 26 post! You must be pyschic!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After Ran Carton was signed to be the Titans GM, Trey Lance posted on his Instagram a photo Carthon with three “fingers crossed” emojis. Looks like a clear implication that he hopes the new GM will trade for him. With the way Purdy has played, I don’t blame Lance for wanting out.

The Titans may be in the market for a quarterback in 2023. Ryan Tannehill has a $36.6 million cap number and a $27 million base salary in the final year of his deal. The coaching staff went with Josh Dobbs over Malik Willis when the playoffs were on the line, so they don't appear to believe in the 3rd rd Willis all that much.

Oh, the irony of this September 26 post! You must be pyschic!
While not impossible, very VERY unlikely we trade Lance. To begin with, there's no indication Lance is a bust and in fact was showing improvement with more game reps. EVERYONE knew he'd need game experience and with it, he HAS shown improvement. Its unfair to compare him to Purdy now.

Next, we'd need an offer that's somewhat close to what we gave up. Nobody in their right mind will offer it....don't think. BTW - I don't buy into they can't trade him because can't admit their mistake on Lance. Why? because Purdy came afterward and back then, NO ONE in this nation would've said don't trade for Lance but wait for Purdy next draft. Lance was NOT a mistake, its just that we got LUCKY with Purdy. Are the Patriots complaining they lucked out with Brady? Seattle didn't draft Wilson until Round 3. Would any other team wish they'd luck out like this with Mr. Irrelevant?

Next, the 49ers will incur a dead cap hit of $10M for Lance.

The 49ers will work out the future QB situation this off-season, nothing to say its "all or nothing" on a QB. QB's get hurt a lot, just have to look around the NFL.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While not impossible, very VERY unlikely we trade Lance. To begin with, there's no indication Lance is a bust and in fact was showing improvement with more game reps. EVERYONE knew he'd need game experience and with it, he HAS shown improvement. Its unfair to compare him to Purdy now.

Next, we'd need an offer that's somewhat close to what we gave up. Nobody in their right mind will offer it....don't think. BTW - I don't buy into they can't trade him because can't admit their mistake on Lance. Why? because Purdy came afterward and back then, NO ONE in this nation would've said don't trade for Lance but wait for Purdy next draft. Lance was NOT a mistake, its just that we got LUCKY with Purdy. Are the Patriots complaining they lucked out with Brady? Seattle didn't draft Wilson until Round 3. Would any other team wish they'd luck out like this with Mr. Irrelevant?

Next, the 49ers will incur a dead cap hit of $10M for Lance.

The 49ers will work out the future QB situation this off-season, nothing to say its "all or nothing" on a QB. QB's get hurt a lot, just have to look around the NFL.
Yeah... it's kinda funny to see all the talk about what happens with Lance next year. Having two QBs on rookie deals, one of which the team seems very comfortable starting, the other with potential upside feels like a luxury given what they traded away to draft Lance. It's almost a wash and creates cap flexibility to fill holes in the roster the next few years.

Only way I see us trading Lance is if someone offers at least a 1st and a couple of 2nd/3rd round picks. This year proves more than ever that having a deep QB bench is a priority. While I'm sure getting Wally Pip'd is a huge disappointment to Lance, it's not like he can really hold out. This is life in the NFL. When Purdy got his chance, he made the most of it. Lance had opportunities as well last year and this year.

On a side note, I think today's instagram post maybe shows that Lance isn't quite as mature as folks had hoped... maybe. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it though.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers have a horseshoe up their ass
They've gone through like 6 starting QBs in the Shanahan era to find someone that can execute his system effectively. Not sure if it's luck or just probability. They were bound to hit on one of these guys...... eventually.

And you know, there's still time to see if the kid can handle the pressure of being a full-time NFL starter. So far so good, but still a lot of road ahead on this journey.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah... it's kinda funny to see all the talk about what happens with Lance next year. Having two QBs on rookie deals, one of which the team seems very comfortable starting, the other with potential upside feels like a luxury given what they traded away to draft Lance. It's almost a wash and creates cap flexibility to fill holes in the roster the next few years.

Only way I see us trading Lance is if someone offers at least a 1st and a couple of 2nd/3rd round picks. This year proves more than ever that having a deep QB bench is a priority. While I'm sure getting Wally Pip'd is a huge disappointment to Lance, it's not like he can really hold out. This is life in the NFL. When Purdy got his chance, he made the most of it. Lance had opportunities as well last year and this year.

On a side note, I think today's instagram post maybe shows that Lance isn't quite as mature as folks had hoped... maybe. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it though.
Yeah, it would take a very VERY good offer to make it work.

For me, his Instagram post isn't a big deal, while i agree he shouldn't do it but eh, guess its how his generation thinks? Don't think this will escalate much like how Deebo's was a BIG issue. Can't blame Lance for feeling like his future situation is chit, and wants a new opportunity.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a huge Lance fan, it’s hard to start him next year with Purdy playing this well. He just hasn’t had enough reps and needs time to develop. He has the athleticism and arm strength without question to be a stud but hasn’t even played a full season since what, 3 years ago?