• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AD traded to Lakers

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it seems like from rumors everyone is connected to the Lakers lol...it really all depends on how much cap they have. If they don't have enough for a max slot you can cross out Kawhi, KD, Kyrie, Butler and Kemba for sure.

Now, on to the list:

Kawhi Leonard
Kyrie Irving
Jimmy Butler
D’Angelo Russell
Kemba Walker
  • (6/16) In the aftermath of the Anthony Davis trade, there were two separate reports that Walker is a top target for the team in free agency.
Al Horford
Brook Lopez
DeAndre Jordan
Rajon Rondo
Patrick Beverley
Derrick Favors
Bobby Portis

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a lot of misinformation about how much cap space the Lakers have.

As of today, they have more than a max spot available (if they were to renounce all FA). Because technically the AD trade hasn't happened.

The question is how will the AD trade be executed? The Lakers have enough cap space to execute the trade as an under-the-cap team, without having to match salary. If they did it that way, the Lakers would be left with ~23m in cap space. Not quite enough for a max.

If they were to sign a max FA before executing the AD trade, the trade suddenly wouldn't work (as reported), because Lakers wouldn't have enough cap room to execute the trade under the cap, and they would need to have enough matching salary to execute the trade over-the-cap. But, at that point, the Pels (and possibly the Hawks in a 3-way trade) could agree to include the remaining available Lakers players (Bonga, Wagner, & Jemerrio) in order to make the trade legal OR to delay the trade until after DeAndre Hunter had been signed for 30 days so his salary would count as part of the trade matching. Either of those is more likely than the Pels backing out of the trade, with how happy they are with the haul they got, imo.

Bottom line, if one of the big fish (Kyrie, Kawhi, Kemba, or Jimmy) want to come to the Lakers, there are plenty of ways to make it work along with the AD trade.

If none of those guys come, the extra $4 mil the Lakers could squeeze out of cap space may or may not even be worth the (fairly insignificant) losses of Bonga and Wagner, depending on who plan B includes and how much money they need.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a lot of misinformation about how much cap space the Lakers have.

As of today, they have more than a max spot available (if they were to renounce all FA). Because technically the AD trade hasn't happened.

The question is how will the AD trade be executed? The Lakers have enough cap space to execute the trade as an under-the-cap team, without having to match salary. If they did it that way, the Lakers would be left with ~23m in cap space. Not quite enough for a max.

If they were to sign a max FA before executing the AD trade, the trade suddenly wouldn't work (as reported), because Lakers wouldn't have enough cap room to execute the trade under the cap, and they would need to have enough matching salary to execute the trade over-the-cap. But, at that point, the Pels (and possibly the Hawks in a 3-way trade) could agree to include the remaining available Lakers players (Bonga, Wagner, & Jemerrio) in order to make the trade legal OR to delay the trade until after DeAndre Hunter had been signed for 30 days so his salary would count as part of the trade matching. Either of those is more likely than the Pels backing out of the trade, with how happy they are with the haul they got, imo.

Bottom line, if one of the big fish (Kyrie, Kawhi, Kemba, or Jimmy) want to come to the Lakers, there are plenty of ways to make it work along with the AD trade.

If none of those guys come, the extra $4 mil the Lakers could squeeze out of cap space may or may not even be worth the (fairly insignificant) losses of Bonga and Wagner, depending on who plan B includes and how much money they need.

It's possible but why would N.O. want to take on extra salary for those 3 players, I mean it's possible. Either way, if they were to take the route of just trading those young players away. They will have about 27-28M, if I am correct. If AD somehow were to waive his trade kicker they would have 31-32M, if I am correct. Most of those max FA's are 35M a year, correct? Either way it doesn't look likely they sign a tier 1 FA...I could be wrong. Not sure what other options they have to clear cap space at this point...

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible but why would N.O. want to take on extra salary for those 3 players, I mean it's possible. Either way, if they were to take the route of just trading those young players away. They will have about 27-28M, if I am correct. If AD somehow were to waive his trade kicker they would have 31-32M, if I am correct. Most of those max FA's are 35M a year, correct? Either way it doesn't look likely they sign a tier 1 FA...I could be wrong. Not sure what other options they have to clear cap space at this point...

KD is the only one thats at 35, the rest are 32.

AD's trade kicker isn't relevant if they sign free agents before executing the trade. Its only relevant if they execute the trade under the cap. If the Lakers get a max guy, they will definitely be signing him before the trade is executed. From that point, as long as they match outgoing salary in the trade, it doesn't matter how far over the cap they go.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD is the only one thats at 35, the rest are 32.

AD's trade kicker isn't relevant if they sign free agents before executing the trade. Its only relevant if they execute the trade under the cap. If the Lakers get a max guy, they will definitely be signing him before the trade is executed. From that point, as long as they match outgoing salary in the trade, it doesn't matter how far over the cap they go.

But why are they even making a big deal about their cap if they can go this route? Most of it was Woj too.

How are they matching that salary? They have no else to offer to match that salary.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For not wanting you as GM, lol? Not exactly qualified.
And these GM’s are? Pffft. Look at the mistakes they make, it can’t be too hard losing cap space because you don’t know the rules or overpaying CP3.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And these GM’s are? Pffft. Look at the mistakes they make, it can’t be too hard losing cap space because you don’t know the rules or overpaying CP3.

There is no mistake made yet. If the Lakers get someone interested in their max spot, they can sign that player first on July 6th, then trigger the AD trade. If the Lakers get AD to decline his trade kicker and get someone (Atlanta as the 3rd team?) to take Wagner, Bonga, and Jones, they can then complete the AD trade AFTER signing their new max free agent. It doesn't have to wait until 7/30 as they don't have to sign the #4 pick first and include that salary in the trade if they can avoid the trade kicker and dump those 3 players.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the fans of every sport who scratch their bellies, sip their Mountain Dew, and type about how easy it is to run a sports franchise. This also occurs regarding being CEO of a Fortune 500 company, being president of the US, or managing a bullpen.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no mistake made yet. If the Lakers get someone interested in their max spot, they can sign that player first on July 6th, then trigger the AD trade. If the Lakers get AD to decline his trade kicker and get someone (Atlanta as the 3rd team?) to take Wagner, Bonga, and Jones, they can then complete the AD trade AFTER signing their new max free agent. It doesn't have to wait until 7/30 as they don't have to sign the #4 pick first and include that salary in the trade if they can avoid the trade kicker and dump those 3 players.

That's good news but a good GM wouldn't put in a predicament where you have to explore other options to free cap space.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the fans of every sport who scratch their bellies, sip their Mountain Dew, and type about how easy it is to run a sports franchise. This also occurs regarding being CEO of a Fortune 500 company, being president of the US, or managing a bullpen.

Shows what you know, I drink Diet Coke.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We've had a few presidents in recent memory that make it look like any dick of the street could do the job, as long as they have advisors to point them in the right direction. Hell, W let his vice do most of the heavy lifting.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hey, I occasionally like a Code Red, you jackass... :lol: