• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Abolish the 3 point game

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
soooooo, does he get rid of the shootout 2? Or is every game 0 & 2pts?

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in favor of getting rid of the 1pt rewarded to the OT loser, but I don't mind the extra 5min OT or shootout. If it's still tied after OT and a shootout, it should end in a tie and both teams receive 1pt, but that's jmo.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Get rid of the shootout, add 10 min OT... winner takes 2, loser takes 0, tied after the extra 10 each get 1pt

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would never happen... he/they like it that way because "it allows more teams to compete for the playoffs" and "fans like that"... :L

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would never happen... he/they like it that way because "it allows more teams to compete for the playoffs" and "fans like that"... :L

it also allows lazy asses like our beloved team to cruise through a shitty season and deceive the fans into thinking they are a good team when in reality they are just average at best...if there are tiebreakers looks like the Sharks will be exposed!

i like Likewall's idea, don't reward the loser unless it ends in a tie. 0 points for an OT loss! otherwise stupid teams just try to hold on for OT to get the point...super fucking boring.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it also allows lazy asses like our beloved team to cruise through a shitty season and deceive the fans into thinking they are a good team when in reality they are just average at best...if there are tiebreakers looks like the Sharks will be exposed!

i like Likewall's idea, don't reward the loser unless it ends in a tie. 0 points for an OT loss! otherwise stupid teams just try to hold on for OT to get the point...super fucking boring.

You'll get the same thing 5 minutes later with teams playing conservatively in OT via the same rationale. There's no way around it unless there's only wins and losses.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing I've seen proposed is 2 points for regulation/OT win. 1 point for shootout win. 0 for loss.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing I've seen proposed is 2 points for regulation/OT win. 1 point for shootout win. 0 for loss.

Me too, as far as keeping the extra point around goes. It fixes part of the problem, but, imo, it ultimately won't satisfy the two main gripes:

1. The effect the extra points have in the standings.
2. The fear of conservative play with that extra point in mind.

It needs to be Wins and Losses only to get around those.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll get the same thing 5 minutes later with teams playing conservatively in OT via the same rationale. There's no way around it unless there's only wins and losses.

i honestly would not mind if it was changed to that...the current system is like welfare at this point. i think in the past teams fought hard to come back and getting a tie was a sign of a great game, now it seems like the norm and no big deal - reallly not entertaining to me but maybe for others it is, would be interesting to see some stats on before and after rule changes...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also sen 3 points for regulation/OT win. 2 points for shootout win. 0 for loss.

Thing is, the current system is doing exactly what the league wants. Like rares said, it keeps teams in the hunt deep into March. Fans are more likely to attend games if their team is still in the hunt right? Cha-ching!

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also sen 3 points for regulation/OT win. 2 points for shootout win. 0 for loss.

Thing is, the current system is doing exactly what the league wants. Like rares said, it keeps teams in the hunt deep into March. Fans are more likely to attend games if their team is still in the hunt right? Cha-ching!

Straight cash, homey. :-)

I'd be interested how different systems would affect the standings, but I speculate that the Salary Cap is more responsible for the current parody. They're certainly getting their desired result regardless, so I can't imagine they'd change a thing, impactful or not.

I just think every system with the extra point is just some stage along a spectrum between W-Ls only (via NHL playoff or NBA regular season format) and 2 per win, 1 per tie, 0 for loss like it was.

Ties never bothered me personally, but I fully understand why they changed it along with all the other post lockout changes. My current feelings on the whole W-L-T debate are that you already bit the bullet on the hard part: eliminating ties. So part of me wants them to just finish the job.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I said,there was no problem with the old system.

you have 60 minutes to go all out and win the game.If you want to sit back with a few minutes left and protect the tie for 1 point ,so be it.

I think it's utterly ridiculous watching the last 5 minutes of most games and seeing teams play for ot and then decide to play with some effort to get the extra point.

With that rationale in mind(hey,we still get a point)a lot of games are down right boring as hell.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said,there was no problem with the old system.

you have 60 minutes to go all out and win the game.If you want to sit back with a few minutes left and protect the tie for 1 point ,so be it.

I think it's utterly ridiculous watching the last 5 minutes of most games and seeing teams play for ot and then decide to play with some effort to get the extra point.

With that rationale in mind(hey,we still get a point)a lot of games are down right boring as hell.

Completely agree. That is one of the gripes though, that's all I was saying. Doesn't bother me, but if that rationale bothers someone in regulation then I would think the same thing would bother that same person in OT.

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Abolish the 3 point game and SO, but keep the 5 min overtime 4-on-4. I think this part of the game is a blast to watch. 5-on-5 is getting so crowded with bigger players and 4 officials out there (16 bodies of players and refs plus line changes) that there's hardly any room to skate or shoot any longer. I'd even go so far as suggesting the league to consider 4-on-4 for the entire game to bring in more excitement for the casual fan but that ain't gonna happen lol.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the shootouts, but I HATE ties. Might as well not even have shown up. So if you want to eliminate the tie, there has to be some time limit on the game. Unlike baseball these guys can't play until there's a winner everynight durring the regular season.

Unfortunately this also screws with the points system. How about this two points for a win or OT win. No points for a loss. If the game goes to a shootout each team gets a point and the S/O wins become a secondary tie breaker in the standings.

Or maybe I should get more comfortable with ties.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be fun to watch games where there are only two points for a win and zero points for anything else (I know this will never happen, just fun to think about). The last couple minutes of a game before OT and the 5 minutes of OT would be some intense back and forth hockey if both teams were facing the prospect of receiving zero points.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by Likewall32
Get rid of the shootout, add 10 min OT... winner takes 2, loser takes 0, tied after the extra 10 each get 1pt

I like this idea as well.