• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Not-So Welcomed Return: Flyers at Pens GNT

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are the Pens fans going to be all over Jagr? Are Pens fans really upset that Jagr thought he has a better chance of winning a Cup with the Flyers?

Not sure where "loyalty" fits in. He hasn't been in a Pens uniform in over a decade, and four different club teams in two different leagues since then. If "loyalty" was an issue wouldn't Rangers fans be crying about Jagr not signing with them?

A lot of the blame goes to the media...the media made it seem like Jagr was coming back, people got nostalgic (including myself) and the Flyers seemingly came out of NO WHERE to pick him up. I don't think the atmosphere before the season started was that Philly was a Cup favorite, so I don't think that was his reasoning. Obviously he had a reason, and his quotes today were pretty interesting. He called out the media, said he didn't like that the Pens told him they were waiting on TK (he said something like "He plays on 3rd line, why am I waiting for him?"), etc. etc. I don't hate the man, because he was a HUGE part of the team for a very long time, but I hate the jersey he's wearing. Yeah, it's been awhile since he played with the Pens, but just the way things went down, especially after saying he'd play for Mario at league minimum (not that anyone believed that), then going to our biggest rival? Kinda stings.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
emptynetters Seth Rorabaugh
It's like pregame before the Federal League championship game in "Slapshot" outside. Fans outside honking cars, shouting vulgarities.

Hahah

BigBadDup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ya, I guess I can understand that. Jagr was indeed pulling at the Pens heartstrings last spring/summer.

But it does raise the question of just how important Jagr was to the franchise and Pens fans. Booing him in his first return to Pittsburgh since his euro stint isn't really the way to display affection for past performance. And it's not like that past performance was a bad one. I guess he's played a few games in Pittsburgh in a Rangers and Caps uni, so, maybe that luster is gone.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I guess I can understand that. Jagr was indeed pulling at the Pens heartstrings last spring/summer.

But it does raise the question of just how important Jagr was to the franchise and Pens fans. Booing him in his first return to Pittsburgh since the lockout isn't really the way to display affection for past performance. And it's not like that past performance was a bad one.

Well, before this offseason the booing was limited to yinzers who somehow obtain tickets and the lemmings that just enjoy booing for no reason, mostly because of his "dying alive" comments being misunderstood as a slight to Pittsburgh...and if there's one way to piss of Pittsburghers, it's insulting the city. I was never a fan of booing, and I'm really still not...but tonight, and tonight alone, I'd be fine with it. Pens fans were salivating over the thought of getting this guy back...not getting him was fine, but Philly? After tonight though, it's done. Move on. He did burn a bridge though, a rather small already damaged bridge. Pittsburghers are VERY emotional fans, we welcome in athletes as family...and that comes back to bite us quite often, but it is because of that emotional attachment that we react this way. People have to realize though, Mario is a one of a kind guy. Not just in talent, but in the way he handled his career. Life-long players with one franchise is very rare in the modern sport, Jags is no different.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Jagr is 8-6-14 in 17 career games as a visitor in Pittsburgh. Pens' record in those games is 12-3-2."

Hmm...of course that's when the Pens owned the Caps/Rags.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haaaaaahahaha:

"It's just part of the game...Philly fans boo Crosby. Did he play for them? No. Did he do anything bad to them? No. He just plays for the Penguins...and he's good." *smile*

Oh Jags, I really do miss you.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
capt.21edfd718f7b4cf19b97fc20201aa970.flyers_penguins_hockey_paws114.jpg

Dumbest shirt ever made. First of all, "Why not us" is a question. That means you put a question mark at the end of a slogan and not an exclamation point. Second, with a phrase like that, you are pretty much setting up every hater for an easy/unwitty joke (see above).

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, get that one back. The crowd will be quiet sooner than later anyway

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00